hubs stud?

secretz

Whipple donator wanted
Established Member
So, in the conquest of replacing my ccrm, I came to realization that one of the nuts and bolts off my passenger rim is missing. :nonono: Am I going to have to replace the whole hub or can I get away with just replacing the bolt?

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
You can replace just the stud. It would have to be pressed out and a new one will have to be pressed in. But the hub will have to be removed from the car to do it.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I had to do it on my Cobra. I had to get the stud from Ford. I did it with the hub still on the car. I removed the rotor, placed the stud in place, threaded a nut on to the stud (be sure to use a washer between the hub and nut) and used an impact gun on the nut to pull the stud into place. Pretty easy.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
You can replace just the stud. It would have to be pressed out and a new one will have to be pressed in. But the hub will have to be removed from the car to do it.

Wrong!

No need to remove the hub.

It's a 10-15 minute job.

Here is a popular way to do it:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/fixityourself/ss/wheel_stud_repl.htm

..BUT..

I prefer doing it this way:

Get a vice grip, grab a socket that is larger than the back of the stud, place the vice grip as shown with the head of the stud covered by the socket, and then screw the vice. The open socket will allow the stud to go inside it from the back while it slides out of the axle shaft.

I found this pic on the web
wheel-stud-removal.jpg

..and here is how to reinstall the new stud. See the socket is now at the front.

6618920-0-display.jpg

#37 is the larger socket on the front now.

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Good catch ... yeah, many owners have replaced one or more wheel hub studs without removing the hub. :read:

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
Do you know how the stud broke in the first place? if it just broke all by itself (doubt studs just brake for no reason) i would replace the other four. Just my opinion if it was me.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
you dont have to do that crap... take the wheel and rotor off... if the old one is still there, knock it out with a hammer, put a new one in, a few large washers on top... impact gun and hammer that thing in. just watch the backside and STOP when it bottoms out. put the brakes and wheel on and your done.

Sharkster

Established Member
ill be going from extended studs to standard so this info is great for not having to undo everything off of the car.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Wrong!

No need to remove the hub.

It's a 10-15 minute job.

Here is a popular way to do it:

Wheel Stud Replacement - Replacing a Stripped Wheel Stud

..BUT..

I prefer doing it this way:

Get a vice grip, grab a socket that is larger than the back of the stud, place the vice grip as shown with the head of the stud covered by the socket, and then screw the vice. The open socket will allow the stud to go inside it from the back while it slides out of the axle shaft.

I found this pic on the web
wheel-stud-removal.jpg

..and here is how to reinstall the new stud. See the socket is now at the front.

6618920-0-display.jpg

#37 is the larger socket on the front now.

I works this way for the rear right? 3 inch moroso studs?

*edit sorry i posted in the wrong thread damn sorry for bringing back

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread