HP TT Kit what do you have to cut?

Cobrastruk04

one reason i didnt buy the HP kit was because i had to cut away at my car which i didnt want to do and also i liked the Hellion kit better but ive always wondered wat you have to cut away to fit the turbos anyone know?
thanks
Dev

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
i'm doing mine right now...and i haven't cut anything and turbos are on suspension is on tomorrow i'll be buttoning up stuff.

TRBO VNM

someone told me they had to cut the headlight assembly or that area in order to raise the turbo's a little to cure the drainback problem. Someone (different person), said there was like a 12x12 area or something close to that, that needed to be cut. I believe that is on the passenger side fender or something. I know the headlight cutting is correct, but can't confirm the 12x12 area and that could also maybe be based on the turbo size you go with????

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
someone told me they had to cut the headlight assembly or that area in order to raise the turbo's a little to cure the drainback problem. Someone (different person), said there was like a 12x12 area or something close to that, that needed to be cut. I believe that is on the passenger side fender or something. I know the headlight cutting is correct, but can't confirm the 12x12 area and that could also maybe be based on the turbo size you go with????

There is NO cutting necessary.

MJ

Goose727

I feel the need....
Established Member
Hp now supplies oil restrictors for thier kit to stop the oil drain back problem. I was told it was due inpart to the billet gears that these cobra oil pumps run.

We'll see when I get mine :bash: all together

TRBO VNM

Goose727 said:
Hp now supplies oil restrictors for thier kit to stop the oil drain back problem. I was told it was due inpart to the billet gears that these cobra oil pumps run.

We'll see when I get mine :bash: all together

interesting, because of the gears that the oil pumps use? I might not understand something, but I don't see how that can be the case. This is drain back, which requires gravity, not pumps and the pumps are the feed to the turbo. I would say it is the turbo's not sitting high enough. One guy rasied them and cut the headlights to fix the issue. So that backs up my statement about gravity problems and the turbo's sitting too low.

again, maybe I am missing something? :shrug:

Thanks MJ for the clarification. if only they were in the engine bay I would have done with that kit. hellion wasn't out at the time.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
i'm pretty much finished my install. I'm going to update pics tomorrow i think. I'm too tired to do it tonight. I didn't cut anything and i hope to start it tomorrow afternoon. Had to fab. up a throttle cable bracket. I bought an intake off of someone that didn't include it. Intake was fine other wise.

Goose727

I feel the need....
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
interesting, because of the gears that the oil pumps use? I might not understand something, but I don't see how that can be the case. This is drain back, which requires gravity, not pumps and the pumps are the feed to the turbo. I would say it is the turbo's not sitting high enough. One guy rasied them and cut the headlights to fix the issue. So that backs up my statement about gravity problems and the turbo's sitting too low.

again, maybe I am missing something? :shrug:

Thanks MJ for the clarification. if only they were in the engine bay I would have done with that kit. hellion wasn't out at the time.

And Sam at Costal uses some type of oil restrictor that he made up, leaving the turbo in the "lower" position. So gravity is not the problem with his install. :nono: As long as it dosen't leak, I don't care what the fix is or how it works.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Goose727 said:
And Sam at Costal uses some type of oil restrictor that he made up, leaving the turbo in the "lower" position. So gravity is not the problem with his install. :nono: As long as it dosen't leak, I don't care what the fix is or how it works.

ok, so how does the oil drainback then if there is no issue with gravity? again, maybe I am missing something and I haven't personally seen a kit aside from pics, but laws of physics are here and if oil is draining back to the turbo then the drain line is not at enough of an angle for the oil to drain to the pan.

as long as there are fixes, that is what matters.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Goose727 said:

He also used a pump i acutally seen the car first hand. It's nice little setup he made for it. Well actually it was still at the shop two weeks ago. Anyone know whos car it is?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
i started my car last night . No oil drain back. Just blowing raw fuel out the tailpipes. HA. Black smoke filled the neighborhood. Just checked for leaks...it kind of smoothed out and caught up and wasn't smoking and i let it warm up and idle and no oil drainback. Having trouble with coil overs though. If anyone has experience with the D&D coil over kit or any coil over please call me ASAP. I'm outside now getting pissed. can't get my car to the dyno. It's a fkn low rider. 504-669-2368 ! ! ! HELP HELP

smashedheadcat

Established Member
The HP kit install itself doesn't require any cutting. I am the one that cut a little on my headlight cage. It was for the driver's side turbo. I was having an oil drainback issue on the left bank. So after talking to Nathan at HP he said to make sure I had the turbo up as high as it would go. My kit is the "new" design where the turbo to intercooler tubes go over the bumper brackets instead of under. So there isn't much room to work with. Basically, the t-bolt clamp was interfering with the headlight cage so I did a little trimming. Not a big deal. I took a total of about 2 square inches out of the cage. It's made of plastic and the dremel just ate it up in no time. Literally, about a 10 second mod. As for the oil gear comment. It's not the gears. I guess the '03 cobras have high volume oil pumps. They see some very high oil pressure. That additional oil pressure is supplying oil faster than it can drain back. Once it backs up (can take a few minutes at idle) it'll start to smoke. I was talking to Nathan at HP about my problem and he recommended that I raise the turbo as high as I could. My turbo was already about an 1/8inch from the headlight cage at this time. I loosened up everything, removed the headlight cage, and put a floor jack under the up-pipe. I just pumped it up a little (just a little pressure) and tightened everything back down. Then, I installed the function7 engineering oil restrictors. Once you get oil in the exhaust, it takes awhile to get it out. It doesn't just burn out in 5 minutes. I thought I still had the problem. I drove around town, the car continued to smoke. Embarassing if I may add. Anyway, I decided to just gamble and head to the dyno. Randy Haywood's shop was 2 1/2 hours away so I figured that would be sufficient time to burn all the oil out of the pipes. If I was still having the problem when I got there, I was just going to have him do a return pump on it. After about 100 miles, the smoking stopped. No problems since. Also, make sure you keep an eye on your oil. Check it early and often if you are having problems.

Mineral- if you are blowing raw fuel out the pipes, it is not an oil drainback issue. Do you have any kind of chip/tune in the car. If you have 60lb injectors with no ECU tuning you'll most likely see some raw fuel come out of the pipes. To If you do have a problem, it will be white smoke, and it will smell just like, well, burning oil. Not fuel.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
hey josh...if you don't mind man and if you can. Give me a call. My coil overs are fked! ! ! I never said i have drainback issues. None so far....i have the provided chip in it and it's just dumping fuel. I think imma take the 60's out to get to the dyno and switch em on the dyno. Back to the coil overs, my spring rates have GOT to be wrong. Coil overs on and 34 notches up my car is still SLAMMED on the ground and the spring is completely compressed. Any ideas? If you can give me a call 504-669-2368. I'll be up for awhile

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Sorry bro, I can't call you. I'm in Iraq right now (again). Will be here until mid may. What springs do you have?? I went with 14'' 225lb springs. Also, what setup did you go with on the c/c plates?? You can raise or lower the strut depending on where you have the spacers set up.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
0mineralgrey3 said:
hey josh...if you don't mind man and if you can. Give me a call. My coil overs are fked! ! ! I never said i have drainback issues. None so far....i have the provided chip in it and it's just dumping fuel. I think imma take the 60's out to get to the dyno and switch em on the dyno. Back to the coil overs, my spring rates have GOT to be wrong. Coil overs on and 34 notches up my car is still SLAMMED on the ground and the spring is completely compressed. Any ideas? If you can give me a call 504-669-2368. I'll be up for awhile

I had the same problem. They shipped me 175lb springs which were way too light even for my setup with aluminum block. Call Maximum Motorsports and order up a set of 350lb Hypercoil springs for coilovers and all will be well.

MJ

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
no..i mean mine has NO suspension travel. The coils are touching each other. They sent me some honda springs i think. I did the strut adjustment with the bushings. These springs just cannot support the weight of my car. They're supposedly sending me new springs overnight. I should get them this morning. I swear if i open this box and they're the same springs imma flip. I have to keep pushing my tuner off. can't get my car out my driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread