HP Issue

Panic661

Established Member
Have a quick question, a few of you are pretty knowledgeable on this stuff.

A friend of mine has a HP Pavilion P7-1003w. He upgraded his PSU to a 600 watt and purchased a AMD 7770 video card. When he plugged it in, he received a beep code: 2 Short 1 Long. I looked up the code "failed to initialize video card."

So I asked him if he set his bios to use the new video card, he replied yes. Double checked everything to make sure it was all installed properly, it is.

Any other possible options, aside from the fact the card just may be dead?

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I feel so honored to have the first comment. All of my hardwork and dedication has paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and I would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. Next I would like to thank my parents, for birthing me. I want to thank my cat, for always being there for me. I also want to thank President Bush for allowing me to realize that if a mentally challenged child can be president, I can be 1st comment. This is a special moment in my life and I would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be an experience that I will never forget, And last but not least I would like to thank all of the millions of people/fans out there that took time out of their day to celebrate this momentous achievement with me. I cannot stress how much of a big deal this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how I did this, I would say.. you can achieve anything you set your mind to. To all the kids out there reading this, I would like to tell them to follow their dreams. The sky is the limit. Being the first comment is amazing. Thank you everyone.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I feel so honored to have the first comment. All of my hardwork and dedication has paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and I would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. Next I would like to thank my parents, for birthing me. I want to thank my cat, for always being there for me. I also want to thank President Bush for allowing me to realize that if a mentally challenged child can be president, I can be 1st comment. This is a special moment in my life and I would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be an experience that I will never forget, And last but not least I would like to thank all of the millions of people/fans out there that took time out of their day to celebrate this momentous achievement with me. I cannot stress how much of a big deal this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how I did this, I would say.. you can achieve anything you set your mind to. To all the kids out there reading this, I would like to tell them to follow their dreams. The sky is the limit. Being the first comment is amazing. Thank you everyone.

Lol'd in class. Soooo funny

michael.heying

Established Member
What type of card is it? Agp, pci, pcie, ? What slot is he plugging it into? Are there external power inputs on the card it self or is it fully powered through the slot?

Make sure you check these things and last but not least double check the bios settings once again.

Panic661

Established Member
What type of card is it? Agp, pci, pcie, ? What slot is he plugging it into? Are there external power inputs on the card it self or is it fully powered through the slot?

Make sure you check these things and last but not least double check the bios settings once again.

pcie, and there are external inputs on the card, all of that has been plugged in, double checked the bios settings once again. Looking again, the card attempts to run, then stops after a second or two.

Ironhand

Banned
I use a XFX 7770.

Make sure the 6 pin power connector is hooked up. You need to install the drivers for the card before you install the card.

The card only needs power input, plugged into the motherboard, and a monitor plugged into the back of it. Make sure it is in a PCIe x16 slot.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd start by removing the video card and resetting the bios...make sure it boots with the factory onboard video and new PSU.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member

lolololololololololololwtflololol!

Panic661

Established Member
I'd start by removing the video card and resetting the bios...make sure it boots with the factory onboard video and new PSU.

Yea tried that one as well, the new psu and onboard boots fine, I think the card is dead but I've never messed with a bought pc and installed a new video card or anything.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member

Derail success!:thumbsup:

Panic661

Established Member
It has the connections for the card, the fan on the card spins for about two seconds before it stops. The powersupply he purchased is the same brand/model I had owned when I purchased my 6800 series.

Panic661

Established Member
Can you try putting the card in your PC? Easiest way to determine if it's the card is by putting it inside another computer.

I would, unfortunately he moved out of state a few months back. I don't know of a board not accepting a new card or anything, so my assumption is it's a bad card, but I'd hate to be wrong and go through that just to find out he can't use another card at all..

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
New PC's are usually pretty friendly about upgrading vid cards, unlike old ones that needed jumpers and shit messed with.

Double check all the settings in the BIOS, or try the card in another PC.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
It's either the card or the PCI-E connection isn't powering up the card.

And just to make sure I am clear, by PCI-E connector, I don't mean the slot on the motherboard. I mean that there should be a power connection that is usually 6 pins for AMD.

Here is a shot of mine. You can see the two connectors running into the card. While has may only have one, this connection needs to be there for the cards to run.

900x900px-LL-a3f479dc_IMG_9061.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread