howling around corners..

lachj1

Established Member
Hi everybody, I posted in the driveline section, but not that many views. Hopefully you can help me out.
I have a live axle and it's been in for a couple years. After about a couple thousand miles on it when I go around corners the rearend is making a howling noise, almost like a tire rub noise, but I know it's not that. I have an eaton posi in it with friction modifier + 90 wt.
I was told that the fluid should be changed, any opinions?

Charles236

Established Member
Changing the gear oil and friction modifier won't do any harm, but I would bet that it won't fix the sound you're hearing. You probably are hearing a carrier bearing howling when you load it going through a turn. If the bearings are worn enough that they have lost their normal preload, loading one bearing as in a turn removes the load from the opposite bearing, which then makes noise. If you decide to change the lubricant, look for a lot of shiny metallic shavings in the old lubricant and in the housing. A very small amount is caused by normal wear, but if the lubricant is silver colored, it's time for a rebuild by someone skilled in setting up axles.

03yellow

Established Member
Did you put new gears in it when you did the swap?

lachj1 said:
Hi everybody, I posted in the driveline section, but not that many views. Hopefully you can help me out.
I have a live axle and it's been in for a couple years. After about a couple thousand miles on it when I go around corners the rearend is making a howling noise, almost like a tire rub noise, but I know it's not that. I have an eaton posi in it with friction modifier + 90 wt.
I was told that the fluid should be changed, any opinions?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to agree with Chuck. I had a similar problem with another car I owned. How many miles on the rear when you bought it? Does it have the stock gears? Or was it modified?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Is it when you turn both directions or just one direction? If just one direction, I'm betting axle bearing. I haven't seen carrier bearings cause noise on a turn. Usually they howl on and off the throttle as you load the carrier. If it howls turning left, it's the right axle bearing....and vice versa.

lachj1

Established Member
It does it on both left and right turns. All the internal parts gears, axles bearings etc. were changed with Strange components and Ford factory bearings. The noise started at 2000 miles and there is now about 6000 on it.

Users who are viewing this thread