How would you spend $1500

NiceCobra

Established Member
I have about ~$1500 to spend on mods and need some suggestions on what to get
Current mods-
Jlt rai
O/r prochamber
Stingers
2.76 pulley with 100 mm idler (Dyno tuned)
H&r race springs

The mods I'm thinking about purchasing are aem A/F guage
Afco heat exchanger( possibly killer chiller but leaning towards heat exchanger for lower price and ease of install)
Mgw shifter
Tints
1/4" spacers for the rear

What do you guys think? Have any better options?

cj428mach

Established Member
I think everyone is going to ask what your goals are for the car.

To me I'd probably go with the wideband setup then start saving the rest for power mods.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I have about ~$1500 to spend on mods and need some suggestions on what to get
Current mods-
Jlt rai
O/r prochamber
Stingers
2.76 pulley with 100 mm idler (Dyno tuned)
H&r race springs

The mods I'm thinking about purchasing are aem A/F guage
Afco heat exchanger( possibly killer chiller but leaning towards heat exchanger for lower price and ease of install)
Mgw shifter
Tints
1/4" spacers for the rear

What do you guys think? Have any better options?

- definitely mgw shifter

- add the 3 other idlers

- irs mods like bushings, cover, etc

- rxt or rst clutch (but that would blow alot of your budget)

have fun!

NiceCobra

Established Member
Oops forgot to add I have the ford racing cover as well. My goals eventually would be to get a bigger blower for 550-600whp.But that won't be for a year or 2.
I'm currently sitting at 478 whp 468tq and am pretty satisfied for right now.
I will probably but some subframe connectors too and have them welded in

b_dike

Established Member
If your going bigger in a couple years, then you better start buying up all the supporting mods; maf, bap/ pumps, inj, and so on... So that when the time comes for a twin screw your car will be ready for it.

NiceCobra

Established Member
Well I would end up selling my quad and that would give me enough money to buy the bigger blower and all supporting mods at once I hope haha.

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
Get the
-A/F gauge
-Sub frame connectors

Spend the rest on supporting mods for the bigger blower..they add up fast$$

NiceCobra

Established Member
I just don't want to start buying the supporting mods then a year from now decide I'm happy with the current power I'm at and never install a bigger blower.( very unlikely ) but still ha. I could probably get around 4500 for my quad . I figure if I buy the blower and supporting mods used that should be good

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Subframe connectors
Wideband
At a minimum differential front and rear bushings if your not going to do all bushings in the IRS.
Supporting mods
Twin screw

NiceCobra

Established Member
What do you guys think a good price is to have subframe connectors welded and painted? I only got one quote so far for $300.

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
What do you guys think a good price is to have subframe connectors welded and painted? I only got one quote so far for $300.

Thats step paid a guy i know at a midas $30 to do the welds and i used a can of VHT black paint to cover everything

NiceCobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. If anyone else has any ideas let me know. I'm getting the style bar too

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
MGW shifter should be #1, order it now - you don't know how bad your treating yourself. Also replace the stock idlers before one blows apart on you. It's a serious risk you need to eliminate. After that - subframes if you drive a couple, matrix braces if you drive a vert. Do you have a nice bluetooth head unit already? Definitely a worthwhile upgrade since the stock stereo is so basic by todays standards. Also consider ditching the hood blanket and stock vents for some LFP or TF vents - looks awesome and definitely helps with airflow. The stock vents and setup are very restrictive IMO.

west08

Established Member

I was quoted by a performance shop 4-5 hours of labor at $85 /hour. They said they TIG weld instead of MIG and make sure they fit perfectly. It sounded like quality work when I was on the phone with them but I had sticker shock about the price and they have been sitting in the car all winter. I don't know if I can trust somebody at a random muffler shop.

NiceCobra

Established Member
Na no aftermarket radio. I usually just listen to my exhaust when cruising around. The $300 price was from a reputable performance shop that already did some work on my car. They did an awesome job and I definitely trust them with my car.

jbs$

Established Member
You guys have no imagination, A bill and a half to throw away equals two quality happy hookers and a happy me. For the overseers, I am talking about tires, I think.

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
I was quoted by a performance shop 4-5 hours of labor at $85 /hour. They said they TIG weld instead of MIG and make sure they fit perfectly. It sounded like quality work when I was on the phone with them but I had sticker shock about the price and they have been sitting in the car all winter. I don't know if I can trust somebody at a random muffler shop.

Mine took about 1hr to do, some shops recommend removing the seats and carpet to avoid burning during the welding which might explain the 4-5hrs though I didn't have any issues. Sub frames come with intructions on were the welds should be placed. I knew the guy so its different but even some of the best performance shop mechanics don't know how to weld.

NiceCobra

Established Member
The shop I'd bring mine to does real good welds. They build a lot of race cars there.

Users who are viewing this thread