How will Ford "Raptor" respond to Rebel TRX V8? GM lurking too.

My94GT

Established Member
This is a quote from a member on the raptor forums ....

"I’ve been following the TRX for years, and I finally gave up and bought my Raptor. I’m a Dodge/Ram guy at heart, and if you ignore the sound the EcoPoop makes, the Raptor is one hell of a truck. Ram is going to have to build one hell of a truck to compete with the Raptor. I had a Challenger Hellcat for 3 years and sold it because you can only go fast in a straight line so many times. I drool at the thought of 700hp, but it’s going to take more than that to be a true competitor of the Raptor"

I believe this will be the case with a TRX....it will be the hellcat of the truck world. It will have power and be fast in a straight line but fall short in every other aspect. Of course only time will tell

i just can’t see it being a flop based on how well the new rams turned out. I question if the hellcat motor will pump out full power or if it’ll be detuned some since it’s going in the truck.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Also, regarding the 5.0 Coyote being too cost prohibitive as a second engine choice: I call shenanigans.

Ford has already developed a Coyote powertrain for the F150. I'd guess that only slight modifications to some data parameters in the ABS computer would be needed.

Additionally, when the Raptor was first launched, there were already 2 engine options in Gen 1. A 5.4 3v and 6.2L, then 5.0 Coyote and 6.2L. There is already precedent for 2 engine choices.

It's nothing more than some EcoBoost brand manager getting their panties in a wad because Ford customers want a V8 and not their wunderengine.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Also, regarding the 5.0 Coyote being too cost prohibitive as a second engine choice: I call shenanigans.

Ford has already developed a Coyote powertrain for the F150. I'd guess that only slight modifications to some data parameters in the ABS computer would be needed.

Additionally, when the Raptor was first launched, there were already 2 engine options in Gen 1. A 5.4 3v and 6.2L, then 5.0 Coyote and 6.2L. There is already precedent for 2 engine choices.

It's nothing more than some EcoBoost brand manager getting their panties in a wad because Ford customers want a V8 and not their wunderengine.

The 5.4L was released with the Raptor due to Ford not having the 6.2L quite ready at launch. The 6.2L was introduced mid year for the 2010's and then in 2011 it was only a 6.2L engine offered in the Raptor.

Ford did offer a 6.2L in the standard F-150 along with the 5.0 for the 11-14 F-150's.

*Edited years for 5.0/6.2L. Previous post of 09-14 was referring to the Generation of F-150.

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member

Like @Blk04L stated.....there were not multiple engine option for the Gen 1 ....not sure why you said 5.0 coyote was a Gen 1 raptor option.

You keep saying you don't understand why they can't have 2 engine options but I know you have to realize NO OTHER automakers have 2 engine options for their top vehicle

Does a GT500 ?
Does a GT3?
Does a viper?
Does a GTR?

I mean the list can go on and on ....if the V8 sand pounders want a V8 so bad then get a lesser performing truck from a different brand. I love the sound of a V8 so I get it, I get why ppl want it. It's just not a deal breaker for me considering the performance that can be had without it being a V8

kaz109

Established Member
i just can’t see it being a flop based on how well the new rams turned out. I question if the hellcat motor will pump out full power or if it’ll be detuned some since it’s going in the truck.

I don't think there is a single person saying they think it will be a flop. I just think ppl might feel this will be the hellcat of the truck world( big heavy and fast on pavment) and for some that is all they want. Where as the raptor has been proven to be great all around ( fast on paventment and great off roading)

Time will tell but I can't wait to drive one. The only thing I am 100% sure the TRX will be better at the raptor is sound and interior .

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

I remember years back someone had mentioned that FP (or even SVT, it may have been before the merger but I don't remember) had already built the second gen they wanted and was waiting for a green light from Ford.

I have no clue if it's true, but if it is, it sounds like they wanted the 3.5.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Thread title said GM as well.
What does GM have coming that would be a threat to the Raptor and TRX??

One of the new Hummer variants supposedly has some pretty incredible off-road capability, but think it is more geared towards crawling.

It'll also be 100% electric, so not really a direct competitor.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
What would you ask SVT Engineering?

Ford Svt had a sit down 7 years ago with then current owners about the Raptor. A question was brought up about putting an ecoboost into a raptor at some point.

3. Would Ford consider making an Ecoboost raptor?
• SVT took a poll and gauged interest at the meeting. Some stated they would sell their Raptor today and get an Ecoboosted Raptor if there was one. SVT mentioned that there are pluses and minuses to the Ecoboost. Good: torque, fuel economy, Bad: heat soak, and inner coolers

Seems like they were thinking about it back then.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I’m actually surprised there are no competitors. It has been 10 years and it’s been a cash cow for Ford. How hard is it to make an 100mph off road truck for the public?

kaz109

Established Member
I’m actually surprised there are no competitors. It has been 10 years and it’s been a cash cow for Ford. How hard is it to make an 100mph off road truck for the public?

Apparently much harder than we all thought. The closest thing to come to a Raptor was the Nissan Titan Warrior, but that was scrapped long ago

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

I honestly think GM is focusing on other things right now, and will never offer an apples to apples competitor. They are all-in on electrification and AV’s at this point.

jean

Established Member
PGP32318.JPG
Raptor is a mean machine!
SVT is defunct,it call Ford performance.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Like @Blk04L stated.....there were not multiple engine option for the Gen 1 ....not sure why you said 5.0 coyote was a Gen 1 raptor option.

You keep saying you don't understand why they can't have 2 engine options but I know you have to realize NO OTHER automakers have 2 engine options for their top vehicle

Does a GT500 ?
Does a GT3?
Does a viper?
Does a GTR?

I mean the list can go on and on ....if the V8 sand pounders want a V8 so bad then get a lesser performing truck from a different brand. I love the sound of a V8 so I get it, I get why ppl want it. It's just not a deal breaker for me considering the performance that can be had without it being a V8

I am corrected, the 2010 model year was the only Ford offered the 5.4 3v and 6.2. I for some reason thought that the 5.0 was offered as well 2011+, but I am mistaken.

Still, the argument you make for this is that obvious demand be damned, no Coyote in the Raptor because FP and God have decreed it so. No one wants a different engine in the GT500... because it's a V8 pumping out 700+ boosted HP.

No one wants a 392 Hemi in a Hellcat Challenger/Charger because it's already got a V8 Hellcat putting out over 700hp as well.

Ram is about to prove that people will demand a product, and FCA will yet again deliver what the people want. In this case, FCA teased a Hellcat powered Rebel. Ram saw how fervent demand was for it and they said "yes".

As for why Ford missed the boat, they could have launched an N/A Coyote Raptor and everyone would have raved. Owners would have taken the cue from the aftermarket and installed SC kits or TT kits and dominated the Rebel out of existence.

Instead, Ford gave Ram the opportunity to up the ante and here we are with the Hellcat powered TRX.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The 5.4L was released with the Raptor due to Ford not having the 6.2L quite ready at launch. The 6.2L was introduced mid year for the 2010's and then in 2011 it was only a 6.2L engine offered in the Raptor.

Ford did offer a 6.2L in the standard F-150 along with the 5.0 for the 11-14 F-150's.

*Edited years for 5.0/6.2L. Previous post of 09-14 was referring to the Generation of F-150.
You are correct sir, I had the generational engine upgrade from 5.4 3v to Coyote mixed up with Raptor.

Users who are viewing this thread