Status
Not open for further replies.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
How to tell if your IMRC's are working or not

Thread includes:

1. How to diagnose IMRC problems
2. How to zip tie IMRC's open

#1 If you want to diagnose IMRC's issues and you have a tuner and a windows laptop this will help you tremendously. So if your car feels very slow after 3,000 rpm and doesnt pull hard but it makes alot of noise this is most likely your problem and is very common with 96-98 Cobra's.

By Data logging the following PID's "IMRC sensor bank 1" and "IMRC sensor bank 2" and "RPM".

The minimum value for the IMRC sensors should be around 200 which means they are closed, If they are between 200 and 1,000 this means they are not closed or open and your controller is bad, as seen on both of my banks but specifficaly bad on bank 2 IMRC which is never fully open or never fully closed.

The easiest way to fix this (it sounds silly i know, but it worked for me for 7,000 miles till i sold the car) is to google "how to zip tie cobra IMRC's" AND get a tune for "IMRC deletes". By doing this you WILL loose torque down low, but a tune can help with this and your car will SCREAM at higher rpm like it should.

17kWu.jpg

HOW IT SHOULD BE

6jkro.jpg

jn6xW.jpg

How to delete them on a budget. Aluminum plates were used in 96-97, 98's have plastic plates.

http://www.classictiger.com/mustang/IAT-IMRC/IMRCDelete/default.htm

=============================================================================

#2 HOW TO ZIP TIE IMRC'S
=============================================================================

You do not have to remove anything to zip tie the IMRC's open. The first time you do it you will probably
get frustrated and take a hour to finish as i did because there isnt much room between the back of the
head and the firewall, but i can do it now in about 10 min.

KLPQZ.jpg

PFUMG.jpg

Example: how the driver side plate is positioned on the car, the passenger side will be the same process but the arms are mirrored to whats pictured below.

w6gdm.jpg

Pull A towards B, it pivots in the center.

I hope this helps some of you.:beer:

Last edited:

walked_u_hard

Established Member
I guess i should post how its supposed to look when they are working correctly, ill do that tonight.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Awesome! I'm gonna have to learn how to datalog this coming week, since I have the SCT and my lap top. I know mine are stuck open; got the code for it and all.

I wonder if I can still zip tie mine open since I think the actuator is not working since the imrc cables are stuck in the pulled in position?

walked_u_hard

Established Member
Even if your controller is bad you can still zip tie the rod that comes out the back of the IMRC plates open (you can reach in and move the rod with your fingers).

I got "IMRC stuck open" codes when i was doing the above datalog... even though the one was not actually stuck fully open.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Even if your controller is bad you can still zip tie the rod that comes out the back of the IMRC plates open (you can reach in and move the rod with your fingers).

I got "IMRC stuck open" codes when i was doing the above datalog... even though the one was not actually stuck fully open.

Alright that makes sense. I'll have to see about reaching back there; such a tight space. I've tried messing with the cables back there but didn't want to break anything. What am I zip tieing the rods to?

Yeah it looks like yours was sporatically sticking open. Interesting chart and all; never seen someone try that. I'm downloading the software for datalogging right now and reading through the instructions so I can attempt the same thing.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
Dont forget you need a tuner to do this...

EDIT said:
I added how the IMRC's SHOULD look in the OP, along with a lot of other info.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Someone should definitely sticky this. This info is just pure genious. Thanks for the pictures and the graph.

Yes, I have a tuner. I'm going to have to email a tuning company for an IMRC delete tune.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Sticky?

Most don't have access to datalogging.
Most should be able to figure out how to zip tie.
And the easiest way to tell if they are working is to reach back and grab where the cable hooks to the plate and rev the car past 3250 (Which is where they open) and feel it.

Good info? Yes it is but not sticky IMO.

The OP can copy the thread in the How-to section.That would be better.

Besides, we are tryingto limit the number of stickies before they take up half the page like they used to.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If you zip tie your IMRCs open and you don't want to get a tune to prevent any CELs, you can build a relay circuit that will fool the PCM into thinking the IMRCs are still functioning correctly: Under the Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread