How to report dealership for "Joy Riding"

forced03

Established Member
I went to get my oil changed today at a Ford Dealership(not svt). I stated at least 3 times "NO TEST DRIVE". The guy made a note but apperantly that didn't matter. I see the car back out of the service bay and take off. He put 5.6 miles on the car :gt: It was a young guy, so, I can only imagine what he did to it.

I tell them I'm not paying for the oil change and they are eating the cost. Of coarse they say no way, I make a scene, and they waived my fee.

Is there some way to report this? They need more punishment than just loosing $30.00.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
that's why I wouldn't even accept any of their "free" oil changes.....

I'd contact the owner of the dealership and if that gets you nowhere, let the Ford zone rep know about it.

good luck :beer:

Last edited:

kom

Established Member
In New Jersey there is a criminal statute called "Taking vehicle without owners consent". If I took my car to a dealer and specifically stated "NO TEST DRIVE" and they took it anyway, I would sign the complaint against the guy who took my car for a ride. It probably wouldn't go anywhere in court, but I bet the dealership would never do that again. Where do you live? Perhaps there is something similar where you live.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Yes, Talk to the GM. Not that it will do you much good in some cases, but as stated, it's a lesson learned. Next time THROW yourself in front of the car before the punk can take off. If he runs you over, sue the dealer and get another 03 just for the strip!

Kidding of course, but take it to the top and next time, watch and react before they go play JOHN FORCE with your baby!

Mac03Cobra

StreetSnake

Established Member
Do you need any more reason now, then to learn how to change it yourself. Im 55 if I can do it so can you.:beer:

forced03

Established Member
I am in CA. That a good idea, but, I don't really want 1 person (driver) to take the fall for this but rather dealership as a whole.

According to the manager, the tech working on my car was not aware that it should not be test driven. They wrote "No Test Drive" on the form but did not enter it into the computer. And, also according to the manager, the tech only sees whats in the computer and doesn't ever see the write up. I don't know how it actually works, but thats what he said.

forced03

Established Member
I can change my own oil. But, its just not worth it to me. Or, correction, it wasn't worth it to me until now.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by forced03
I am in CA. That a good idea, but, I don't really want 1 person (driver) to take the fall for this but rather dealership as a whole.

According to the manager, the tech working on my car was not aware that it should not be test driven. They wrote "No Test Drive" on the form but did not enter it into the computer. And, also according to the manager, the tech only sees whats in the computer and doesn't ever see the write up. I don't know how it actually works, but thats what he said.

Then it's the service advisers fault for not comunicating that to the tech.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I think we'd all agree that 5.6 miles after an oil change is uncalled for, even if you hadn't specified no test drive....the fact that you did makes it even more grievous.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
Yeah, but we all know you don't "test drive" an oil service. The guy wanted to drive the most awesome car on the road.

This is a lesson learned. Stay with your car for services like this and watch.

It's probably OK.....

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by JB
I think we'd all agree that 5.6 miles after an oil change is uncalled for, even if you hadn't specified no test drive....the fact that you did makes it even more grievous.

Why do you need to test drive after an oil change anyway. If you start it up and it leaks then theres a problem if it doesn't there is not.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u

Why do you need to test drive after an oil change anyway. If you start it up and it leaks then theres a problem if it doesn't there is not.

my point, exactly...

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u

Boost addict?

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by forced03

I think I'm a little confused. All you did was get the Oil changed right. Why on earth would a test dirve be warrented. They didn't really do anything mechanical to it. Just wondering why "NO TEST DRIVE" would need to be written anywhere. Do they always put 5 1/2 miles on every car they change the oil in? I mean I don't blame you for stating it. It's obvious you had a feeling that something like this would happen. I personally have never left my car to have the oil changed or anything done short of major mechanical work requiring overnight. Just my $.02.

forced03

Established Member
A test drive is not warrented and I doubt they test any cars for an oil change. But this is an 03 Cobra and people want to drive them.

Knowing, that someone might want to take it around the block is why I felt the need to actually tell them "No Test Drive". Didn't do much good. Except now I have it in writing that they were not allowed to drive my car. This might come in handy when I move forward with this.

I thought my anger would subside, but, I am getting more and more pissed the more I think about it.

Last edited:

mineral03

Established Member
start complaining like crazy...especially if its a blue oval certified dealer... make sure the before/after mileage is noted. you might be able to get more out of it than a free oil change... problem is though, if you complain enough, the tech ( more than likely a semi new guy, if hes changin oil) might get fired... either way its not right, you DO NOT need to drive the car 5.6 miles to do an oil change. I can see maybe 1 mile... i usually drive the cars here at my dealership( benz dealer) about 1 mile, maybe 1.5, to get the oil nice and hot, since we dont actually pull the drain, we suck it out the top. The oil is too thick/wont come out if its too cold... but still, 5.6 miles is uncalled for

Friendchicken

I'll never let the car out of my sight for an oil change or minor repair. I'd go above the service managers head if you got no satisfaction.

Put it to them this way, if they messed the car up in the 5.5 mi, do they have the identical car to replace it with on the lot? Probably not and it wouldn't look very good on their report to the 1-800-SVT call center

darkhorse

Established Member
There's not much you can do legally that's worth the stress and redtape except hassle the dealership. Push for a free extended warranty if you want. The finance guy will hate you. I would confront the test driver personally. If he had the same car he'd be really pissed. Ignorant people really suck!
:bash:

1qwkpny

Established Member
At Ford they "drain" the oil, I am aware that it is common practice of other service garages to remove the oil through the use of "vacuum." I also completely understand why "no test drive" was stated. In my opinion and experience it is one hell of a good idea to make that request. I had a similar experience with my '93 Cobra which had 998 3/10miles on the odo when I dropped it off for it's second oil change(I did the first and all since). I didn't ask the service writer to put N.T.D. on it I TOLD him THERE WILL BE NO TEST DRIVE. He said, "no problem we don't have any reason to do so." Feeling well assured I went inside to get some literature on the '94's and there I was about 13minutes later standing in the show room floor watching MY COBRA GET SIDEWAYS IN SECOND GEAR FROM THE STOP LIGHT OUT SIDE THE DEALERSHIP!!! Not knowing weather it was for sure my car till I remembered that Da I'm the only one w/in 700miles with one and mine is #104. So I turned looked through the service area door and where my cobra once was sitting there now sat an f150. The next thing I did was grabbed my cell phone called 911 and reported it stolen, then I ran back and freaked out on the service writer. About 4 min later police arrived 5 min after that so did my cobra, she was fine but she now had 1017 2/10 miles. The police didn't want to arrest the monkey that took my car b/c the state has no law against it(tech. test drives). I did however obtain that stupid kids job and his pay check, of which purchased new back tires and clutch which he ruined, and I got the extended warranty I had purchased refunded back to me as they decided to cover it for free. The dealer ship was very appologetic and accomodating. I think they were that way only b/c I got the police involded and made a big scene about it in front of other customers. So my advice is to make a HUGE deal about it, but dont get yourself in trouble. What that little automotive school flunky did to you is totally b33ls33t and he knows it. Hell if the dealership doesn't do anything about it then just report them to the district head.

Users who are viewing this thread