How to remove the front cage on an alternator?

mr.magic

Established Member
does anyone know how to remove the cage from the front of the alternator? I believe the front bearing has gone bad on the alternator and I can't get to it unless I get the cage off. Past experience on others once you remove the pulley and the cage bolts you can just separate it with taps from a hammer. the front will loosen but it just won't come off it's like it's getting caught on 1 side.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
Dont do it,you cant.The stator is pressed into the front housing(you call it a cage).If you try,youl rip the soldered stator leads from the rectifier,totally destroying the unit.Take it to your local rebuilder for a bearing change.Or send it back to me:banana:
You have to take it apart from the back,unsolder 6 stator leads...etc,etc.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Eric, is this the factory alternator? If so, instead of trying to repair an already inefficient factory alternator I would get a Start 'N Charge alternator from Jamie. He's made a lot of improvements over the years and it is now far superior to the OEM Ford alternator. JMO.

mr.magic

Established Member
This is a Start-N-Charge 160 amp alt and unfortunately Jamie and I aren't seeing eye to eye at the moment.

My apologies jamie may have jumped the gun on a previous thread I think you know I'm talking about. it's really frustrating spending a lot of money on what is known to be a quality product and having the bearings fail twice on me in such a short period just to have to turn around and get a rebuilt stocker.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Dont do it,you cant.The stator is pressed into the front housing(you call it a cage).If you try,youl rip the soldered stator leads from the rectifier,totally destroying the unit.Take it to your local rebuilder for a bearing change.Or send it to me:banana:
You have to take it apart from the back,unsolder 6 stator leads...etc,etc.

yes do not tear it apart unless you are ready to unsolder then resolder your alternator back together. i mad this mistake only once. i did end up fixing mine myself. but it still sucked big time.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
The only alternator that will work without problems is from Nations Alternator.

Its a Nippendenso unit thats externally regulated.

I should know, Im the one who designed it and had it built.

There is a review on ModularFords.

Users who are viewing this thread