HOW TO: Remove Broken Bolts or Broken Taps

03Gunner

Established Member
My Snout bearing went out on my 03 Cobra stock eaton super charger, so I had 2 options have someone do the repair or repair it myself.

After reading Posi's home port thread I decided I would do a home port and replace the bearings while I was at it.

As most probably know when removing the Innercooler from the Super Charger it's likely you will break at least one bolt, which is exactly what happened in my case.
So I decided I would try to drill the bolt out myself. Since I've really never drilled a bolt out of anything I did my research and thought left handed drill bits would be the first attack to getting the broken innercooler bolt out of the super charger. With limited knowledge I bought a set of left handed drill bits from Autozone titanium coated. I took a punch and marked the spot on the bolt to drill down center. Needless to say the left titanium bit did not make a scratch on the bolt and the drill bit and eventually broke.

Again lacking knowledge I bought another heavy duty drill bit and again it broke. After breaking a few drill bits I returned to the internet for research. As it turns out to my ignorance these bolts are hardened steel bolts actually class 10.9 to be exact. I tried cobalt drill bits again they barely scratched the surface of the bolt. Through much research I learned carbide drill bits are the best for drilling through hardened steel.

So I purchased 2 carbide drill bits from toolguys2 from ebay one being a straight flute and the other a standard twist type. Toolguys2 were not too far from where I lived so I picked the drill bits up in person, these guys were great and gave great service. They really couldn't believe that was drilling the bolt out using a hand drill but they told me to use low rpms and some type of lubricant. Note Carbide bits are strong for drilling through hardened steel but they are very brittle and if binded or twisted at an angle break easily like glass. If you break a carbide bit off in a hole, lets just say your screwed.

I used low rpms and transmission fluid Type F as a cutting lubricant, and needless to say it cut through the bolt like butter.

Once I drilled the bolt out I decided I would use a tap to remove some of the remains of the bolt, sadly to say I never really used a tap before and next thing I knew I broke the tap off in the hole. At this point I'm having an out of body experience.

I called a machine shop and asked could they remove the broken tap, they basically told me good luck, nobody wants to deal with a broken tap, because you can't drill through them. Even when I tried the carbide bit it just rounded the bit off.

After many hours of research I discovered there are chemical means to removing broken taps from aluminum. Nitric Acid, which is not recommended due to cost and hazard and Alum which is used to make pickles. Yeah Pickles.
It turns out Alum when diluted heavily with water and especially heated will dissolve ferrous metals and not harm non-ferrous metals (i.e. aluminum).

After adding the Alum and water solution to the hole 2 times a day sometimes heating it with a torch and sometimes using a halogen light to heat it, the BROKEN TAP DISSOLVED. Incredible.

I was able to drill the hole out, tap it, and insert a helicoil to allow me to use the OEM bolts. By the way I ordered new stronger bolts.

And I lived happily ever after.

I hope this helps somebody if I had any of this knowledge I would have saved me a ton of time and heart ache.

Last edited by a moderator:

03Gunner

Established Member
Great post!

Title edited and spacing added to thread content to facilitate reading and understanding.

Thank you. Hope it helps.

Also to add to it the stock bolts for the innercooler or intercooler to supercharger are M5 bolts with 0.8 pitch. The stock bolts are flange bolts 10.9 class. When I drilled out the hole I used a Perma Coil M5 X 0.8 pitch thread repair kit from Amazon for 19.99. It's a little cheaper than the Helicoil kits and works just as good.
Note the thread repair kits have thread inserts of different sizes when researching X1 means the length of the thread insert is 1 X the diameter which is sufficient of course if you can get larger than 1 X the diameter it's even better. I believe Perma Coil is 1.5 X the diameter.
I also replaced the original bolts with socket head cap bolts found on Amazon for 11.40 including shipping and handling. These bolts were from Carpenter Creek and were class 12.9 which are stronger than the stock bolts.
I put flat washers on them when installing them and figured socket head bolts would be better if I had to remove them because the torque would be on the inner part of the bolt instead of the outside of the bolt as with flange type bolts. Thinking this would less likely break the bolt off.
Hopefully I'll never have to remove them again.

:banana:

timbo3282

Established Member
Just an FYI - I have removed intercoolers on a Cobra 8 times (different cars) and have never broken one of those little bolts. The secret is quite simple - heat the bolts up with a torch before removing them. This breaks the Loctite free and keeps them from breaking. And of course NEVER reuse them. I don't even know if heating them up would prevent them from breaking if they were torqued and loosened twice.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Just an FYI - I have removed intercoolers on a Cobra 8 times (different cars) and have never broken one of those little bolts. The secret is quite simple - heat the bolts up with a torch before removing them. This breaks the Loctite free and keeps them from breaking. And of course NEVER reuse them. I don't even know if heating them up would prevent them from breaking if they were torqued and loosened twice.
I agree on heating the bolt. But if you do break a bolt, take an old or broken tap and chuck it in a cordless drill. Sharpen the tap on the side of a grinder wheel with the drill spinning against the rotation of the grinding wheel. Be sure to quench it in a bucket of water frequently to prevent overheating the tap (and losing it's temper). Since it is hardened, it will grab the end of the bolt, and you can tap it with a hammer to walk the bolt back out. I also heat the bolt up first, then walk it out. Have done it plenty of times at work. I have several sized taps which I have sharpened. Works really well if the break is not flat (usually the case). The uneven end makes it very hard to drill the bolt. Believe me, heat helps. Every toolbox should have a pencil torch for those occasions.

BTW, a sharpened tap also makes a great scribe for marking a line on metal parts.

Users who are viewing this thread