How to mount the Zone5 MDM 3 pump driver without losing trunk space

Gojira

Established Member
I did this install in 2009 but never put up the pictures. Here they are. I mounted the driver underneath the speaker deck. This is the Zone5 triple pump driver. I have the Fore triple pump hat with 3 Ford GT pumps in it. All parts from Lethal Performance.

Not sure if Zone5 is still making this so this post may be irrelevant. Put perhaps could demonstrate a way to mount the Kenne Bell BaP to save space.

Its a little more time consuming and hard on the back mounting it this way but well worth it in the end as it is totally out of the way. I did this by myself and was difficult holding the driver up there for mock up and alignment. If you can get an extra set of hands or make a cardboard template of the base of the driver so you dont have to hold it in place when you mark the holes it will be a little easier.

/
/
zone5-mdm-01.JPG

/
/
zone5-mdm-02.JPG

/
/
zone5-mdm-03.JPG

/
/
zone5-mdm-04.JPG

/
/
zone5-mdm-05.JPG

Last edited:

Gojira

Established Member
You know what? I know I've put my hand on it to see when I first mounted it. But I honestly can't remember now. But not hot enough that I had any concerns because its still there. Never had any kind of burning smell or anything. Next time I drive the car I will check it again and report back.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for posting that up. I have one I am waiting to install and would be interested in heat levels too. I put carpet on all of the exposed metal to finish the trunk area so heat is a small concern.

I was considering a top mount but still want to be able to fold down the seats and haul stuff around. I'll likely just go behind the cover for the wheel well so it is out of the way and route the wires under the carpet.

Last edited:

Gojira

Established Member
Just got back from driving. It doesnt get hot at all. Besides if it got too hot for being mounted on the speaker deck then it would also be too hot on the floor of the trunk or anywhere else for that matter.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just got back from driving. It doesnt get hot at all. Besides if it got too hot for being mounted on the speaker deck then it would also be too hot on the floor of the trunk or anywhere else for that matter.

The difference is, heat rises. In the past, people would have issues with car stereo amplifiers mounted like that because the heat couldn't rise away from the heat sink. That's why I asked how hot the box gets while driving. If it doesn't get hot at all, there shouldn't be any problem.

Gojira

Established Member
The difference is, heat rises. In the past, people would have issues with car stereo amplifiers mounted like that because the heat couldn't rise away from the heat sink. That's why I asked how hot the box gets while driving. If it doesn't get hot at all, there shouldn't be any problem.

Good point! I've driven the car for extended periods of time. 400 mile hikes only stopping to get gas. Never any issues. Been in the car since 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread