How to mirror polish Kenne Bell/Whipple snout

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
This How-To will cover the process of hand polishing the snout of a Kenne Bell or Whipple supercharger to a mirror finish.
From the factory, these supercharger snouts come with an anodizing applied to them. This anodizing starts off black but over time and after countless heat cycles, the anodizing turns to a dark purple color.

Step 1: Removal of supercharger snout
~ This first step can be a little tricky depending on how much RTV silicone was used for the initial installation of the snout but it will come off. Remove all of the bolts holding the snout to the case with an allen key. If the supercharger is installed on the car you'll need to place a few towels under the snout to catch the few ounces of oil that will spill from the snout when removed

Step 2: Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner
~ Once removed, take off the pulley and wipe down the snout with a damp cloth. Place the snout on a dish and coat the entire anodized surface with the Easy Off HD cleaner. (note: the blue "fume free" can will not work)
Let the cleaner sit for atleast 15 minutes, rinse and wipe it off then coat it with a fresh layer of over cleaner. After another 15 minutes you should have most of the anodizing eaten away and after a rinse/wipe you should only have trace amounts of the purple left, the rest should be bare metal.
85b459a6.jpg

Step 3: Soft Scrub
~ Now take the dried off snout and using a toothbrush, you'll apply soft scrub to the surface to remove the rest of the anodizing. Don't worry if you can't get it ALL off, the first round of sandpaper will get it off.
e2d8ca56.jpg

Step 4: Rinse & Wipe down
~ Now that you've taken off almost all of the anodizing you'll need to rinse it off one last time and dry it off to prepare for the sanding
7691ec2a.jpg

Step 5: Begin sanding with 220 grit
~ The 220 grit sand paper is very rough and will give you the proper coarseness to begin.
e6c744ea.jpg

Step 6: 400 grit
~ The 400 grit is next, you'll see slight improvement from here on out

Step 7: 600 grit
~ Now you'll need to start wet-sanding, keeping the metal and paper wet at all times while sanding

Step 8: 800 grit
~ The 800 will start to remove the larger scratches and begin giving you a uniform look

Step 9: 1200 grit

Step 10: 1500 grit
~ At this point you'll start to see the metal transforming from the rough look of a sanded metal to a smoother metal
bb347b67.jpg

Step 11: 2000 grit
~ This is the last sanding step and it is really where you start to see the "mirror" finish starting to peek through. Spend a lot of time with the 2000 grit, as it is where you'll get the true mirror shine/finish from.

Step 12: Mothers Polish
~ Take a micro fiber towel and begin applying the Mothers aluminum & mag polish to the snout, when the product begins turning black you know it's working. Apply as much as you'd like, the more you work it into the metal the better results you'll see
*note* if you are still seeing some hazy areas with fine scratches, go back with the 2000 grit and wet sand it longer, then hit it with the Mothers Polish
24a18536.jpg

Step 13: Reinstall
~ For re-installation, apply a bead of black RTV silicone to the base of the snout where it'll connect to the case for proper sealant. Also, ensure you lined up the back of the snout to the case and screw in the bolts in alternating order. screw the pulley back to the snout and reinstall the belt.

Step 14: Refill Supercharger oil
~ Lastly, you'll refill your supercharger oil to replace the few ounces that spilled out during removal and that's all there is to it.

c8ba8ead.jpg

ENJOY! :rockon:

Last edited:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Started on my 2.8 today, turned out to be harder then I thought. The Easystuff I could not find (I found the light version not the heavy duty one) so I bought a ZEP oven hd instead. It got some of the purple off, but most of it is still on the blower. I guess once I start sanding harder it will be gone. Btw its gonna suck doing the snout while its on the blower, but I dont feel like removing the snout... Also kinda "quick" polished my 4" pulley to see what it would look like, it turned out decent (I did it in like 10 minutes, so its not as shiny, but I dont care that much for the pulley anyway, just sort of practiced before the snout lol)

This pic is just starting of 220grit

of5atj.jpg

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Order yourself up a BilletFlow pulley cause that KB one is going to rust up pretty quick. The coating they have on there prevents it.

Are you going to polish the blower case as well?

Looking good so far.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
If my blower ever comes off again i'll take the time to polish the inlet as well. I've seen a "Tuxedo Polish" job where the entire front case and snout as well as the inlet were mirror polished but the case itself was left black and it looked INCREDIBLE!

I'd really like to go with a different pulley on my KB, but i've heard horror stories as well as others with no issues at all with the Reichard Racing pullies. I like the Billetflow as well, but KB states not to use anything other than theirs, for bearing issues. I don't have issues with the 3.5" KB pulley that's on there now so i can't really make the sqitch without some convincing....

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Order yourself up a BilletFlow pulley cause that KB one is going to rust up pretty quick. The coating they have on there prevents it.

Are you going to polish the blower case as well?

Looking good so far.

Yep Ill be throwing away the KB pulley anyway, and when I get my other one I won't polish it just leave it as is. Nope, snout was enough for me haha, Thanks!

If my blower ever comes off again i'll take the time to polish the inlet as well. I've seen a "Tuxedo Polish" job where the entire front case and snout as well as the inlet were mirror polished but the case itself was left black and it looked INCREDIBLE!

I'd really like to go with a different pulley on my KB, but i've heard horror stories as well as others with no issues at all with the Reichard Racing pullies. I like the Billetflow as well, but KB states not to use anything other than theirs, for bearing issues. I don't have issues with the 3.5" KB pulley that's on there now so i can't really make the sqitch without some convincing....

Yea I'd like to polish my whole blower as well, but after doing the snout I changed my mind lol! However there is a company that will do it (Mirror finish polishing in Kearney, MO) I contacted them a week ago they said they would polish the snout for $190 so I said Ill just do it myself, plus the turnaround time on them is like 4 weeks.

Here are their quotes
1.) Kenne Belle Supercharger Main Section Completely Sanded, Prepped, Completely Re-surfaced and Triple Polished to a 100% GUARANTEED Mirror Finish: $335.00

2.) Kenne Belle Supercharger Front Snout Completely Sanded, Prepped, Completely Re-surfaced and Triple Polished to a 100% GUARANTEED Mirror Finish: $192.50

3.) Kenne Belle Supercharger Rear Intake Completely Sanded, Prepped, Completely Re-surfaced and Triple Polished to a 100% GUARANTEED Mirror Finish: $195.00

4.) Kenne Belle Supercharger Pulley Completely Sanded, Prepped, Completely Re-surfaced and Triple Polished to a 100% GUARANTEED Mirror Finish: $57.50

Metal Polishing&Buffing Services- Premium Polishing of Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Titanium&Other Chrome Metal Polishing Services - Page 2

CHROME-LIKE-POLISHING-SUPERCHARGER-4.JPG

Anyway, here is my semi-finished product, I think it turned out okay, I still need to work around the snout allen bolts, its not really reflective because I kinda slacked off on them lol (plus its hard to do while the snoutis still on the blower) but overall its pretty decent. Gonna finish sanding it with 2000 grit again, and hit it with mothers a few times just to finish it off. ;-)

The kb pulley turned out to be crappy but Ill be going to waste anyway because its a 4 inch upper LOL!

y_3f52dab6.jpg

y_1da990d2.jpg

On another note, Tony I think I'm chasing after the look of your car lol (maybe coincidence? haha) I have a silver 04, 335 hoosiers, tinted tails, pretty much the stuff you have (now a polished snout) except the true forged! :burnout:

Last edited:

03GTGreen

Established Member
Looking good man, sorry missed your call (i think) im assuming its about the pulleys, have them and a box ready to go just have to ship em, will let you know when

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Yea I'd like to polish my whole blower as well, but after doing the snout I changed my mind lol! However there is a company that will do it (Mirror finish polishing in Kearney, MO) I contacted them a week ago they said they would polish the snout for $190 so I said Ill just do it myself, plus the turnaround time on them is like 4 weeks.

Here are their quotes
1.) Kenne Belle Supercharger Main Section Completely Sanded, Prepped, Completely Re-surfaced and Triple Polished to a 100% GUARANTEED Mirror Finish: $335.00

2.) Kenne Belle Supercharger Front Snout Completely Sanded, Prepped, Completely Re-surfaced and Triple Polished to a 100% GUARANTEED Mirror Finish: $192.50

3.) Kenne Belle Supercharger Rear Intake Completely Sanded, Prepped, Completely Re-surfaced and Triple Polished to a 100% GUARANTEED Mirror Finish: $195.00

4.) Kenne Belle Supercharger Pulley Completely Sanded, Prepped, Completely Re-surfaced and Triple Polished to a 100% GUARANTEED Mirror Finish: $57.50

Metal Polishing&Buffing Services- Premium Polishing of Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Titanium&Other Chrome Metal Polishing Services - Page 2

CHROME-LIKE-POLISHING-SUPERCHARGER-4.JPG

Really nice find. I like the case black and the rest polished, looks pretty sick. With some black wrinkle PC Cam covers and chrome or polished COP covers a plain liiking engine compartment can look pretty damn sick.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
On another note, Tony I think I'm chasing after the look of your car lol (maybe coincidence? haha) I have a silver 04, 335 hoosiers, tinted tails, pretty much the stuff you have (now a polished snout) except the true forged! :burnout:

I love the look and you will too, don't think of it as "copy-cat", your car is sure to look great and the response you'll get just from the snout will surprise you! When my motor comes out is when i'll do the rear inlet, but in the mean time i'm content :rockon:
now getcha some True Forged wheels!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Add me to that list. I only wet sanded with the 2000. Thanks for the pointers, that mothers polish does some sexy things!!

IMG_20110520_194044.jpg

Black Sex

Established Member
I think it will. The only reason I didn't do it is IMO it would be too much shinny stuff in one spot. I might just rough mine up and shoot it black. but leave the polished outer ring

Termilvr

Established Member
used this method to do my pulley, with a little personal touch. sorry for the crappy cell phone shots.
35c0g9y.jpg

i5yp84.jpg

zjjsc9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread