How to jailbreak an iPhone 3gs?

5point0guy

Established Member
I just got an iPhone 3gs from my grandfather and I need to jailbreak it. What are some good programs? Thanks.

Kirk01

Established Member
I used jailbreakme.com back when I did mine a couple years ago. You should look into it.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Damn, your grandfather had an iPhone before you did...

Search Google, there are tons of websites to help. It's pretty easy to do now as the programs do everything for you.

5point0guy

Established Member
^I know right? The dude is 94 and just picked up an iPhone 4s! Haha. Yeah, I just started searching Google, trying to find one that is legit.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
check your firmware version and get back with us on here. Its in the General settings

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
Androids are miles better, that being said the capability of what you can do on any rooted device is insane. You will need to find out the firmware, if its the latest update it should be 5.0.1

You want to do an untethered jailbreak so you can reboot anytime without a computer.
This link will get it done for you, stroll down and you will see what your looking for.

http://www.jailbreaknation.com/jailbreak-ios-5-5.0-on-iphone-4-ipod-touch-ipad-with-redsn0w

I would use the redsnow zipfile, I have never once had an issue with it.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
no you cant

:dw: if you want to get into specifics you get rid of the factory underclock settings to allow the phones chip to run close to its full potential. So yes technically your are overclocking the phone not the cpu itself.

I know with the iphone overclocking has been a highly debateable subject on whether you can or cannot actually do it

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
if you want to get into specifics you get rid of the factory underclock settings to allow to phones chip to run close to its full potential. So yes technically your are overclocking the phone not the cpu itself.

hahahah.. what you said is such a generic comment..

your first comment was
If you properly jailbroke the phone you can overclock the cpu and have it run faster than you can imagine.
which is an untrue statement for several reasons... for one there isnt a real right way and wrong way to jb a phone.. as a matter of fact there is usually only the way and possibly 2 people that released the jailbreak process for example redsnow and limerain when geo was still in the game. Also, there is no way to overclock the processor.. apple limits the processor to running at an underclocked set speed for battery life purposes, only when the phone needs to will it run at its full clock. the processor is rated at a certain speed, you can only remove the limitations of the underclock as the power profile allows.. this only allows the processor to run at its properly clocked speed per the manufacturer.. to overclock the processor (like you can with setcpu on android) you would need a custom kernel that would allow for the calculations and power management of the processor to safely run it at a higher than intended speed (per the manufacturer of the chipset). its like adding nitrous to a car, if you dont add fuel as well youll blow it up due to a lean condition. there is no kernel modification for the iphone that will allow an undervoltage overclock scenario

welcome to iphone school 101.. im your professor VSVT

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
:dw: if you want to get into specifics you get rid of the factory underclock settings to allow the phones chip to run close to its full potential. So yes technically your are overclocking the phone not the cpu itself.

and FWIW

Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than specified by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters. One of the most important techniques is running at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second; hence the name "overclocking"), but other parameters, such as CPU multiplier and memory timings, can also be changed and would be considered to be overclocking. Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat which increases temperatures and must be carried away.

this just supports my above statement

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
hahahah.. what you said is such a generic comment..

your first comment was which is an untrue statement for several reasons... for one there isnt a real right way and wrong way to jb a phone.. as a matter of fact there is usually only the way and possibly 2 people that released the jailbreak process for example redsnow and limerain when geo was still in the game. Also, there is no way to overclock the processor.. apple limits the processor to running at an underclocked set speed for battery life purposes, only when the phone needs to will it run at its full clock. the processor is rated at a certain speed, you can only remove the limitations of the underclock as the power profile allows.. this only allows the processor to run at its properly clocked speed per the manufacturer.. to overclock the processor (like you can with setcpu on android) you would need a custom kernel that would allow for the calculations and power management of the processor to safely run it at a higher than intended speed (per the manufacturer of the chipset). its like adding nitrous to a car, if you dont add fuel as well youll blow it up due to a lean condition. there is no kernel modification for the iphone that will allow an undervoltage overclock scenario

welcome to iphone school 101.. im your professor VSVT

Forgive me im obvioulsy an android guy. Not really a very generic comment to me... I was under impression that the ios's kernel was open source and the locking code had been been recompiled at some point. I know there were old methods done through the FSTab that were thought to of worked.

Elaborate if you can please.

Users who are viewing this thread