How to improve traction?

Skylar

Established Member
I have an '04 automatic Mach 1 with 3.27 gears (the previous owner installed them). I'm about to order 3.73 gears and I'm wondering how I can improve traction. Even with the 3.27's, the wheels spin when I put my foot to the floor, so I'm sure it will be even worse with the 3.73's.

What can I do to reduce wheel spin besides getting stickier tires? Will lower control arms help?

Thanks!

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
What spring/shock combo are you using? Factory stall converter I'm assuming?

Lca's will help, but tires are a game changer. A good tire that will bite for a lightly modded auto car and get decent life is the nitto 555r. Couple some lca's with those tires and I doubt you'll have any more traction problems. Just don't expect 20-30k miles from them.

Skylar

Established Member
Thanks. The car has been lowered but I don't know what how much/what springs are on it. The previous owner lowered it.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The stock springs transfer weight well. There's no need to change them if maximum traction is the goal.

machonemike

Established Member
As stated tires and lower control arms are a great places to start. Figure out which springs are on it and you can start looking at a good set of shocks to compliment them. I had Vogtland springs with some Tokiko D Specs on my 04 GT and it hooked hard at the track, and I could dial the shocks in to make it take corners on rails.

Users who are viewing this thread