How to hook up MP3 player (or other aux device) to stock MACH 460 system.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i thought it said in this thread that it didnt work with the 04s :shrug:

MinGrey02Stg2 said:
It says on the website it will work, so I bought it (it said it will work with the 815, which is what the 04s have). I went out and pulled the radio, and it's the wrong damn thing. Now I get to pay to ship it back! :banana: A great waste of $15 shipping here and back... only because some idiot doesn't feel like putting the right info up on their website. :fm:

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i thought it said in this thread that it didnt work with the 04s :shrug:

Yes, but I think their site was updated to what it now says: that it works for 2004 mustangs with the "815" series radio.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
MinGrey02Stg2 said:
It says on the website it will work, so I bought it (it said it will work with the 815, which is what the 04s have). I went out and pulled the radio, and it's the wrong damn thing. Now I get to pay to ship it back! :banana: A great waste of $15 shipping here and back... only because some idiot doesn't feel like putting the right info up on their website. :fm:

I noticed from my pics that the '04s don't have a 20 pin connection to begin with. I mentioned it earlier on this thread.

Did they mention that perhaps they sent you the wrong connection cables? I tried this with the vendors that sells a similar product and noticed that it did fit the connections (and they sent me all the connections they had for Ford vehicles).

On the bright side, looks like Blitzsafe will have something for us '04 owners soon:
http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_foru...ReturnPage=Active&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=4

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
What wire on the harness is the constant power? I'm installing it now and the directions don't say.

EDIT: Or maybe the one that has the stereo battery power?

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I would use the constant power from the cigarrette lighter socket thingie. It is fairly close and easy to tap into.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
from an earlier post in this thread

ShelbyGuy said:
If installing the FRDN-AUX on an '03 unit, the grey with purple tracer wire on the frdn-aux goes to the violet (looks more like lavender to me) with light blue tracer wire on the factory j1 connector (pin 9). the black with green tracer wire on the frdn-aux goes to the black with green tracer wire on the j1 connector (pin 11).

neat stuff!

Mike_Hawk said:
What wire on the harness is the constant power? I'm installing it now and the directions don't say.

EDIT: Or maybe the one that has the stereo battery power?

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
I gotta get this! Just got Pocket Tunes for my Treo 600 to play MP3, WMA, WAV, WMA files. I have a 256 mb SD card, which has 42 songs on it now (full). I need to snag a 1 or 2 gig card and this PIE thing. I'll also be able to put the phone on speakerphone and play calls on my car audio. Don't know why I'd want to do that, but I could! I found one on Ebay, but it was only $7 cheaper than the one linked to above. Good find guys!

Has anyone found it at a local electronics store like Best Buy or maybe an auto parts store? I want to go pick one up tomorrow. Don't want to wait for shipping!

Last edited:

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Finished this yesterday. I didn't get a response in time when I spliced the wire and time was against me, so it was like those moments of suspense in a movie where a guy has to cut the wire to a bomb and makes a last minute choice. I didn't have my MP3 player with me at the time either, so I didn't even know until about an hour later if I got the right wire or not. But gladly I did :-D

Shelbyguy is right, pin 9 on that harness for the constant power. Also, the ground wire that goes to the FRDN-AUX actually connected to a screw on the back of the head-unit. Directions for it state so and it has the provision for it too. But yes, pin 11 works too ;-)

This thing works great! I don't have anything nice yet for the RCA/mini-plug routing, but for now I took the little coin holder out and routed it by the shifter and out the hole. Ugly for now, but until I modify the coin holder or think of another way, it'll stay. MP3 player in the cup holder.

PDubs

Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:
I don't have anything nice yet for the RCA/mini-plug routing, but for now I took the little coin holder out and routed it by the shifter and out the hole.
Here's what I did:

- Drilled a hole right near the bottom of that little indenture in the center panel on the driver's side
- Made an MP3 stick holder that stays right on top of the coin holder.
- Doesn't get in the way of my arm in 2nd/4th. :)

I can send you pics if you want ideas.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
PDubs said:
Here's what I did:

- Drilled a hole right near the bottom of that little indenture in the center panel on the driver's side
- Made an MP3 stick holder that stays right on top of the coin holder.
- Doesn't get in the way of my arm in 2nd/4th. :)

I can send you pics if you want ideas.
Oh yeah, please send pix! :thumbsup:

PDubs

Established Member
Here ya go:

Adapter location for easy access in case the RCA cable goes bad:
mp3_adapter.jpg

Hole for RCA cable:
mp3_holeshot.jpg

Actual holder:
mp3_over.jpg

With shifter in neutral (top):
mp3_shifter.jpg

With shifter in neutral (side):
mp3_sideview.jpg

Notes:
- I have the stock shifter, and when it's in 2nd/4th, I can easily rest my elbow on the center console and have my hand gripping the shifter without running into the MP3 player at all.
- Hole is not necessary, but it made it easier to feed the RCA cable and you can't see the hole from outside the car (ie, theft).
- MP3 holder is adhered to the coin holder only, not the center console portion but just above it.
- Emergency brake handle does not interfere, even with MP3 player held in place.
- You can prolly see where I got the parts from. Ghetto, but cheap! :)

Last edited:

ralphy1798

Established Member
WhiteSaleen248 said:
Does anyone have pictures of how to uninstall 6-CD Head Unit?

No pictures needed. Pop off the shifter console, pop off the console around the CD payer (goes all the way down around the Traction Button, and up to the vents). Remove all wire connections from cig lighter, and three buttons at bottom (traction, foglights and defroster)

Now the CD player has 4 screws in it holding it to the car. Unscrew these and vio-la! The CD player is out!

Jeff

WhiteSaleen248

Established Member
Thanks guys, I took the stereo out just to make 100% sure I have the right plugs. Since I do, I ordered the cable, and I will make a write up when I recieve it :) I am excited!

Users who are viewing this thread