How to hook up MP3 player (or other aux device) to stock MACH 460 system.

dataangel

Established Member
If you've ever wanted to hook your portable audio device (MP3 player, etc.) up to your stock MACH 460 system, I just found the solution. . . just installed it and it works great!

It's called the FRDN-AUX by PIE (www.pie.net) that I purchased for $69.99 through LogJam Electronics (www.logjamelectronics.com). It works for the 2001 - 2003's with a 20pin CD changer connector on the back of the head unit (mine was a 6-disc in dash in my '03 Cobra).

Took about 30 minutes to install (being careful) and requires no cutting / soldering. It's just plug in. The only thing I had to do was tap one wire on the harness for constant power, which I did with a simple push-style wire tap (I keep a bunch around).

Installed, you just get some line-level RCAs can hook whatever device you want up to. You press the CD button on your deck, and it switches to the "DJ" device (changer), and viola! The sound quality is awesome.

Last edited:

jonas

Established Member
I worked for pie as a r and d engineer. My designs included that protocol converter for the c5 as well as an fm modulator so you can play your portable cd or mp3 player and plug in the modulator to the headphone jack and tune into that fm frequency.

Its a great company with great customer service, I know cause I was the guy helping the installers with questions :) unfortunately the pay sucks and I moved on :)

dataangel

Established Member
Yup.

The 6-disc in my '03 has a 20-pin changer controller connector with a harness hooked to it. The FRDN-AUX is a passthrough style harness, so you just hook the existing harness to one end of the FRDN-AUX, and the other end plugs into the deck.

j card

Established Member
Wow, I just may have to buy that Ipod after all......

I am really supposed to be saving money for the new house I am having built - you guys are making it awful hard on me! I just bought the Autotap and a Palm, the exhaust goes on next week, I need to order a Valentine 1 because I have to give back the one I've been borrowing, now this! I guess I better get used to it...

dataangel

Established Member
I know. Website's wrong, at least in my case: works great! :)

I bought it figuring, worst case, I'd go down to a local installer or eBay and pick up a stock deck from an '01-'02 for a few bucks. Didn't have to though, as it hooked right up to mine.

coleman

Established Member
damn that's cool!!! thank you for posting the information...

do you have any pics of the connector and general location so we can do ours more easily? ... you said the back of head unit.

dataangel

Established Member
Yes, I ignored the warning. Actually, I bought it thinking that, if it didn't work with mine, I'd just trade a friend with an '01 GT or buy a used one from eBay or an installer. As it turned out, the deck in my '03 was fine. Perhaps some car models use a different '03 6 disc in dash (or maybe it's really the '04s), but mine works great.

As far as pics, there are some good pics in the installation instructions available on the PIE site (www.pie.net) as well as in the box when you order the unit. The connector you're looking for is square-ish and large-ish. :) If you look at your deck, there should be a small connector (not it), a large rectangular connector (not it), and a large square-ish connector (that's the one!). It's dirt simple to hook up: just one wire to tap, which I did with a crimp-style wire tap from Radio Shack. Other than that, it's just plugging in a wiring harness.

My pleasure posting. I've been looking for a product like this for about 3 years, so I was elated to find it! Good luck!

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
does anyone else in the North Dallas area want one so we can save on shipping costs? ... i don't mind paying $70 for a good device, but 10% for just shipping ... :xpl:

ok, and if 5 of us order it, shipping is free!
then, we can all get together and install them on a weekend...

:thumbsup:

i want one!

who else?

hssss03

CobraPC Version 1.0
Established Member
I'm looking to buy this to hook up my laptop to play MP3's. How is the sound quality? Does the volume control work with the MP3 player or do you have to use the head units volume control, or a combination of both?

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
dumb question, but i didnt see the usual holes in the front of the radio for removal..

is there some new trick to this?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Now I have another reason to justify that $400 I spent on the 20gig IPOD... :chicken:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by djc
dumb question, but i didnt see the usual holes in the front of the radio for removal..

is there some new trick to this?

These radios just bolt in. No more wire tool necessary.

Dana

coleman

Established Member
i hooked up mine with little trouble...

if i recall correctly, the easiest way to remove the bezel around the stereo is to first remove the air vents because there are some plastic latches that need to be pulled down.

now i just pulled until it came out but once it was out, it appeared that removeing the vents first would make the whole job easier.

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
lame

the old way was better, since one did not have to remove the bezel and stuff. makes more rattles :(

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Also for anyone interested in replacing the factory head unit, and keeping the existing Amps/speakers I found a Metra Kit Part No. 70-5519 (Circuit City, some best buys, or any other aftermarked stereo place should have it) --- this is not the normal wiring harness, its used to allow Aux input to the subs (I have 2 12s and 2 10s and before this was tapping into the line) but with an aftermarket head, most of them have seperate SUB output, so with this adaptor it allows that seperate connection (and the "turn-on" power signal).

Users who are viewing this thread