How to: Home made (cheap) custom Fathead of your car

Sonic Snake

Established Member
I wanted to get a custom "Fathead" type wall cling of my car but just couldn't afford the cash for it with me being out of work right now. So, I decided to make my own. Yes, it isn't really a fathead and yes it is extremely cheap, but like I said, I'm broke.

Here is the finished product..

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Here's how I did it...

Alright.. Steps 1-4 I did in Photoshop but that is not necessary for making your own poster.
Step 1. Took the photo that a friend took of my car and opened it in Photoshop.
This picture...

RollingShot.jpg

Step 2. I tinted the glass to make sure that I wasn't visible anymore. I wanted the focus to be on the car not my ugly mug inside.
Step 3. I cut out the car from the picture and touched up the shadow a bit to make it look fine with a white background.
Step 4. Make what ever you want the poster to say. Type that in using Photoshop or some other from of image manipulator.. even MS Paint.

Now the next part is one of the coolest things I've found for free on the internetz..
Step 5. Go to www.blockposters.com . This website allows you to upload any image and it will allow you to "block" it to make it as large as you want it to be. It put's the broken up image in a PDF file and then you just print out the images. Be sure to check out the gallery link at the top of their page for some other really cool stuff others have made with their block posters.

Step 6. My printouts come out like this. Note that Block Posters - Create large wall posters from any image for free! takes into account that not all printers can print to the edge of a page so they leave a border.

1f13e64a.jpg

Step 7. Depending on what look you're going for you may choose not to take off the edges, but I wanted the picture as seamless as possible. So, I trimmed the edges off and began to line them up. CD is for size reference.

76617131.jpg

Step 8. You basically mount the images anyway you want. I taped all of mine and then stuck a piece of plexiglass over it.

IMG_0821.jpg

That's it! :rockon: :beer:

32VDOHC

Established Member
looks awesome! sorry I am just nit picking, but I would have put "SVT" between "Ford" and "Mustang" hahaa...good job though!

Sonic Snake

Established Member
looks awesome! sorry I am just nit picking, but I would have put "SVT" between "Ford" and "Mustang" hahaa...good job though!

I kept looking at and couldn't decide which way it was supposed to go. They good thing about this is I could just reprint the bottom 4 pages if I wanted to redo it to say that or anything else for that matter.

Thanks for the compliments. I hope others can make some cool stuff with and post it in here as well. :beer:

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
That is pretty cool. I did something similar a while back with something called a "rasterbator". Same idea only it makes the image you choose pixelized with little dots to make the picture bigger.

Sonic Snake

Established Member
****in nice work man! that looks perfect!
Thank ya.. it's not better than you can get professionally made, but for my purposes it works well.

Super idea. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome! :beer:

Sweetness. Your car is cleannnn. Never seen you driving around though.
Thanks. I've had a DD for about 5 years and now it's gone so the Cobra will be seeing more road time. You're more likely to see me out now in it.

That is pretty sweet. Nice looking addition to the garage.
Thanks. lol It doesn't take much to make it look better. It's a real mess right now. I need to get in there and start cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread