How-to : HIDGuy.net 6000k Headlights/Fogs

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
I've had the kit for a few weeks and love its quality, color, and the simplicity of installation!

I went with the 6000k single-beam headlight kit and foglight kit for my 03 Cobra vert. Got them on sale for $120 each kit. Both kits are plug-and-play, no drilling required. HIDGuy has very quick shipping and excellent customer service!

Here are the links :

Headlights - 9007 - Single-Beam

(if you want dual-beam, click on "03-04" at the top of the page and find it)

Foglights - H10

Upon ordering, don't forget to choose the kit color at the bottom of the page.

The install was pretty easy. It took me a few hours because I had to take pics of pretty much every step, but it should take you probably 45 minutes to an hour to get both these kits on.

Only thing I really needed for installation was some extra double-sided tape for mounting the ballasts. This how-to seems complicated, but I wanted to be very thorough for those of you that are interested in or installing this kit!

Here are the components of the headlight kit. You should have (2) ballasts and (2) bulbs, and also (2) wires that connect the ballast to the wiring harness. Also included with both kits are tons of zip ties.

0d3dc82e.gif

Here are the components of the foglight kit. You should have (2) ballasts and (2) bulbs, and also (2) wires that connect the ballast to the wiring harness.

bbc1a7b9.gif

This is a pic of how the pieces of the headlight kit will connect. Please do not go ahead and connect these pieces. This is just to show you how the parts of the kit connect. There are two wires coming from the ballast, one connects to the bulb, the other connects to your wiring harness with an adapter.

27402a6f.gif

1. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

2. Remove the headlights. If you don't know how to do this, pull the two metal tabs holding each headlight in. Unscrew the black plastic piece that holds the headlight bulbs in place, and pull the old bulbs out. Lay the headlight housings on a towel or something so they don't get scratched. You obviously won't need the bulbs anymore, but I kept mine in the car as spares.

3. Each HID bulb has a plastic protective case on it. Carefully unscrew these and remove the foam cushions. Place the new HID bulbs into the headlight housings the same way you would a halogen bulb. Make sure they are pushed in tightly. I did not use the black rubbery insulation pieces attached to the wires. Take the black plastic pieces that secure the bulbs to the headlight and screw them on. The new HID bulbs should now be firmly secured to the headlight.

05b9b3ae.gif

2ffa57c4.gif

4. Next is mounting the ballasts for the headlights. I don't know where the rest of you decided to mount your ballasts, but I chose to do it in a "ventilated" area so they can cool during operation. The area I chose was right behind the headlight. You can mount them wherever you feel is appropriate for you. There are drill holes in the ballasts for those of you that feel the need to drill.

First clean off the area where you wish to mount the ballast. I used some Windex and some grease remover to make sure the area was nice and clean. Then I took the two-sided tape pieces from the kit and laid them down carefully to allow enough surface area to contact the car and the ballast. Here, you can use the extra two-sided tape to make sure there's enough contact between the car and ballast.

652420f9.gif

5. There are two wires coming from the ballast. Choose the shortest wire, and connect the red/black double wire that came with the kit (has the metal clips at the end). It should snap in nice and snug.

There is a blue adapter included in the kit that allows this wire to connect to the wire harness. Don't connect the metal clips to it yet, as you will have to make sure the metal clips are in the correct location for the headlight to work.

f4eccfd6.gif

86e6f3e7.gif

6. Starting with driver's side, plug the blue adapter into the wiring harness. Next is sliding the metal clips into the adapter. You'll have to make sure the red and black wires connect to correct holes in the adapter for the headlight to work. It may be easier to slip the metal clips into the adapter before plugging it into the harness. Take a look at the pic below and make sure you have the wires going to the correct locations. Do the same on both sides.

a61edc75.gif

7. Now both sides should have the ballasts connected to the wiring harness. Use the zip ties in the kit to bundle the wires up together and tuck them away behind the headlight wherever you see fit. Make sure the wires aren't touching anything hot and are hidden from most moisture.

8. You should now have a long wire coming from each ballast. This wire connects to the HID bulb. Take each headlight and carefully plug this long wire into the HID bulb. RED WIRE TO RED WIRE, BLUE WIRE TO BLUE WIRE. They should snap together nice and snug. Make sure the black plastic piece on each side has the bulb secured tightly. Before completely installing the headlight, you can zip tie the wires as you see fit.

4dc865f4.gif

9. Push the headlight back into its original position and slide the metal tabs in to secure it. Hook up the battery. Turn your headlights on and make sure they light up! If they don't, you may have inserted the metal clips into the wrong location, or something wasn't snapped in securely. Revisit steps 6 and 7.

7f347f7d.gif

10. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

11. Now onto the foglights. You may need to jack up your car at this point. The foglight kit looks exactly like the headlight kit, except you have H10 bulbs.

12. Starting on driver side, get under the car and remove the stock foglight bulbs. Turn the bulb counter-clockwise to remove it. Plug in the new H10 bulb. I did not use the black rubber insulating piece attached to the wire.

13. This is where I mounted the ballast on each side. Make sure to clean the area well before double-taping it to whatever location you choose, unless you're drilling. Sorry the pic is blurry!

(this is passenger side)

912fa1c2.gif

14. Plug the long wire from the ballast into the H10 bulb wires. RED TO RED, BLUE TO BLUE. Make sure they snap securely.

15. Plug the short wire from the ballast into the wiring harness. This plugs DIRECTLY into the wiring harness, there's no need to use the double-wire with the metal clips, or the two extra plastic black pieces. I assume these are for vehicles that actually need them.

16. Do the same steps for the passenger side.

17. Here's the important part. Make sure you zip tie the wires away from heat, and make sure you prevent them from falling to the ground while driving! I zip tied the wires together into a bundle, then zip tied the bundle closer to the ballast to remove the slack.

18. Reconnect the battery and turn on the foglights. If they don't light up, you probably didn't properly secure one of the connections (this happened to me). *Ensure that the plug into the wiring harness is fully secure.*

Hope this helps any of you that get this kit. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

If any of you that have the kit would like to correct me or add details, don't hesitate to do so!

e4b17563.gif

34249fbb.gif

f17f43ff.gif

4f178061.gif

SVT03Chris :

IMG_1316-1.jpg

Last edited:

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Wow looks very clean!

I would love to get some HID headlights and fogs but their soo expensive. Around 600?

Great write up. Thanks

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Wow looks very clean!

I would love to get some HID headlights and fogs but their soo expensive. Around 600?

Great write up. Thanks

Very nicely done...I love my 6000Ks...
You did not read the write-up did you:poke:?
They are not $600!

HID_Guy

Established Member
Very nice write up :thumbsup:

I stuck the ballasts right on top of the bumper cover just under the headlight lenses, there is a spot there where they fit nicely. Also DDM Tuning - HID Kits, HID Bulbs, DEPO Lighting, BMW and Porsche Performance Accessories sells similar kits for $70 plus shipping.

We used to sell their kits, but you get what you pay for when comparing both our kits in quality and customer service; but if your trying to save some cash in the short run they are ok.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
How much was it? I checked and I remember the headlights were 299 and same with the fogs? Or fogs might of been 199?

Cobreezy

Established Member

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
Got the same exact kit from HID GUY, love them! Can't wait to get my fogs also!

OP hope you don't mind. I have a night time shot of them. 6,000k single beam HID GUY plug and play kit.

Shows the diff. between the stock light color (fogs) and HIDs (headlights)

IMG_1316-1.jpg

Last edited:

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
Got the same exact kit from HID GUY, love them! Can't wait to get my fogs also!

OP hope you don't mind. I have a night time shot of them. 6,000k single beam HID GUY plug and play kit.

Shows the diff. between the stock light color (fogs) and HIDs (headlights)

IMG_1316-1.jpg
I'm including this pic in my original post if that's ok!

You're welcome, guys! It's a VERY worthwhile product! Hope this write-up helps.

HID_Guy

Established Member
How much was it? I checked and I remember the headlights were 299 and same with the fogs? Or fogs might of been 199?

Go to VenomousStangz.net ; that's our mustang site and the kits are the same as on our HIDGuy.net site, but broken down for every specific Mustang ...... And all of our HID kits start at $120 for the single beams and $165 for Bi-xenons, buy both and save an extra $20 on your order by using discount code 0000vsperformance .

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
AzianStang, thanks for taking the time to put together such a nice write-up! I was a little hesitant about do the HID conversion, but this looks easy after following your instructions. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread