How to go about getting started in OT racing?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Some have had success with the direct DVD recording and others have not.

Mini DV tape will be your best chioce.

And your camera mount is a major contributing factor for your failures! :fart:

That thing fails!!!!! :kaboom: Miserably!!!! :read:

laruei

Established Member
yeah its just they are hard to find locally. i even went to far as to bolt the camera directly to the flat steel.. thats when the dvd recorder shined but ended up crapping out in the end..

I found a guy at ritz camera locally willing to sell a display tripod camera mount that looks a lot sturdier then that crappy one i had... i dont know of anymore big name camera places then ritz so no luck finding other resources...

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
yeah its just they are hard to find locally. i even went to far as to bolt the camera directly to the flat steel.. thats when the dvd recorder shined but ended up crapping out in the end..

I found a guy at ritz camera locally willing to sell a display tripod camera mount that looks a lot sturdier then that crappy one i had... i dont know of anymore big name camera places then ritz so no luck finding other resources...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=648&iorb=4764&0

http://www.turbojohn.com/mall/index...id=308&zenid=7eb169bb9f7de90dfb91e340f06d2315

laruei

Established Member
Ohhhh the I/O port... ive seen 7 million sites carry that thing... and i imagine one day ill break down and buy one.. but ive spent 5 days on this damn mount.. it will work! not to mention i couldnt get that setup to my door in time...

thanks though. :)

:beer:

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Vesa is a good buddy and fellow racer. Engineer by trade. Well made and no vibration.
PICT0043.jpg

VS_Billet_Diag_Web.jpg

Camera Mount Distributors:
Racer Parts Wholesale 1-800-397-7815
Rennenmetal
RFR Race Parts 1-866-678-RACE
Rivergate 1-423-332-2030
Safequip 1-800-247-4260

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Oh, another thing. For summer driving, nothing beats a COOL SHIRT (Rich Shafer is another racing buddy)>

http://www.coolshirt.net/racing-club-system12.html
Wear mine every time I get in the car.
In fact, I have one of Rich's prototypes that I still wear. They DO get funky with a driver's suit, so I take a couple of shirts to the track- fresh one for each day.
P0000003.jpg

email my wife for list and prices. [email protected]

Last edited:

laruei

Established Member
LOL thats awesome!

3lbs though... i dont know if i can spare.. :rolleyes:

Great idea though im sure that in the 95 degree weather on sat im gonna wish i had the 300 to spend on it!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I find my camera image shakes more if the thether isn't on. It puts some tension on the camera, and keeps it from shaking.
Or you can try a small bungee cord to put tension on the camera (that's what I used to use for a thether).

Or duct tape. :lol1:

laruei

Established Member
You know i built that strap to go on the camera in case they wanted to say i needed one.. i just havent got a clue how to actually attach it to the camera yet...ideas?

i was thinking worst case would be just to tie it to the hand strap...? or is it made to keep the camera in place in case the mount fails? i thought it was for if the mount fails it wouldnt hit you...?

David Hester

Established Member
4087_1_lg.jpg

I use one of these I had left over from formula car days. $25.00 and you can go in with a buddy and get it for 1/2! One each.
Soft end goes around camera, other end attaches to down tube on rollcage.
Also handy around the house, especially if you have a 4 poster bed.......:rolleyes:
I digress.
The strap Vesa sends in the package will keep the camera attached close to the mount if anything breaks. Camera is the heavy part. Wrap strap around it for sure.

Or duct tape.
Or hose clamps....
;^)

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
That is what it's for. The style Dave posted above (on the shiny bright lemon yellow rollbar) is good, and works without going all over the place. But if you forgot to tighten one of the bolts that holds the mount onto the rollbar (blinded by the shine, no doubt), that just means the camera is still attached to the mount as the whole thing comes flying at you.

My tether (I'll get a pic up someday) is a longer one from IO Port, and goes through the handle of the camera, and back around the harness bar plus the diagonal. It's imposable for the camera to hit me if the tether (and the camera handle) holds. Thinking on it, I should weld a tow hook to the camera and run the tether through that. If only there was some metal on it to weld to. :shrug:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
4087_1_lg.jpg

I use one of these I had left over from formula car days. $25.00 and you can go in with a buddy and get it for 1/2! One each.
Soft end goes around camera, other end attaches to down tube on rollcage.
Also handy around the house, especially if you have a 4 poster bed.......:rolleyes: DIRTY OLD MAN!
I digress.
The strap Vesa sends in the package will keep the camera attached close to the mount if anything breaks. Camera is the heavy part. Wrap strap around it for sure.

Or duct tape.
Or hose clamps....MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE A HOSE SOMEWHERE IN THE SETUP!
;^)

Fixed for you.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Lets see if these come out.
The chris-cross is just to take up slack and put tension on the camera.
If the mount busted (a likelihood given who built it), it still can't reach me without another failure, or me flailing around wildly because I'm rolling. And then I have bigger worries.

tether1.JPG

tether2.JPG

tether3.JPG

tether4.JPG

David Hester

Established Member
That should work. Thing is let it swing AWAY from you if mount breaks.

BTW I prefer Still-Active-Minded-Quînquâgenarian!

Last edited:

Gonz

Established Member
I see now.. sorry for the confusion.. i would deffinitely like to get a track set for when i really get into it.. I will take everyones advise and get the XP10's up front and the XP8's for the rear.

Thanks!

Did you end up with a NASA membership? Carbotech will give you a 10% discount on the pads if you are a member. That's pretty good when you are dealing with $150 and up pads.

On street tires the XP10 and XP8's should be more than enough (your tires are going to be the limiting factor in how much you can brake).

Spend $12 on a liter of ATE Super Blue brake fluid. The OEM system isn't designed for 25 minutes of braking from high speeds.

have fund

Users who are viewing this thread