How to get faster at 1/2 mile racing for free?

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Here I am again...registered for a 1/2 mile race in a month and no money to make the car faster. We just moved into a newly built house and need a ton of new stuff so it's hard to justify spending a few grand on a Whipple to the wife. I installed a Snow Performance kit before last year's race and saw no gains, but I didn't have time to get it tuned properly beforehand. I'm going to ty to get it retuned in the next couple weeks, but that's all the budget can handle. So my question is, what can I do for free or very cheaply to pick up a couple MPH? I'm stuck at around 136 and want to break into the 140's. The car is an '03 Vert with a ported Eaton making 485/512 last time I had it tuned before the meth.

pierce88

Established Member
On Coilovers by any chance?

Put that ish on the ground. Would make zero difference in 1/4 but certainly is going to help at those speeds in the 1/2.

I think I met you at the Clayton Event Last year.

-Pierce

speeddemon2000

Established Member
The conventional wisdom in the past was Meth was not that helpful for power production on these motors. If you are going to run Meth run it post blower by taping into to the lower intake. Also keep in mind with Meth you run into kaboom issues. You could with a back fire blow the blower off the car.

Just be careful!

94slowbra1

Established Member
ill sound like everyone else here, speed isnt for free. id lose some weight were you can and get your retune. everything else is going to cost money, weight reducing parts, aero and power. those are you essentials for 1/2 mile-mile racing.
also about the meth, i understand its place but its also risky. i lost a fully built 331 sbf due to a meth malfunction. if you want cooling and higher octane id look into e85, much safer

badmpg03

Established Member
Agree with masking above. Aero makes a difference.
Wash and wax that thing before the run. It sounds silly but Less wind resistance,

Throw a bag of ice on the blower before you run and ice that sucker down?

dont run on a full gas tank maybe...but dont run on empty...

inflate your tires if they are not. You dont need to worry about the launch or grip.
Thats all I got on stretching ideas for no $$ with some dumb ideas.
I'm really bored.

nxhappy

Established Member
sell the meth, buy yourself a nitrous kit ....100 shot will make a nice kick

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
On Coilovers by any chance?

Put that ish on the ground. Would make zero difference in 1/4 but certainly is going to help at those speeds in the 1/2.

I think I met you at the Clayton Event Last year.

-Pierce
Not on coilovers...H&R Race springs so it sits pretty low.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
ill sound like everyone else here, speed isnt for free. id lose some weight were you can and get your retune. everything else is going to cost money, weight reducing parts, aero and power. those are you essentials for 1/2 mile-mile racing.
also about the meth, i understand its place but its also risky. i lost a fully built 331 sbf due to a meth malfunction. if you want cooling and higher octane id look into e85, much safer
There's one E85 station in a 50 mile radius from me.

When I get it retuned, I'm going to have them keep it safe. And I know it's not foolproof, but I've got warning lights that come on when the tank is dry or the pump isn't working.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Hard to believe how much a three dollar rip of masking tape helped:

No tape: 136.1
Tape on most body panels: 138.1
Tape on convertible top seams and windows: 139.3

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Put some rotary forged tsw's on the car. 40lbs of unsprung weight reduction vs stock wheels, and you're looking at ~$90 a month on a car care one credit card. Gt350r's have proven unspring weight matters.

•tape is a must
•pull out passenger/rear seat.
•pull out spare tire and trunk mat
•pull off catback and run the loudest redneck machine there, but hey it's 25lbs+, and you'll have back pressure because the x is still in place.
•remove the stereo and speakers
•driver mod/master the powershift. Don't destroy your car. If you can't power shift, learn on a beat to hell crapbox.
•ice the blower
•pray for a tail wind
•pray for a mirical
•offer soul to misguided spiritual entities in exchange

You should be able to run 141.87mph. Any faster and you're definitely going to hell, but at least the exchange was worth it for the temp accomplishment.

Users who are viewing this thread