How to get even more traction

shelbysvt

Established Member
Posted this up on another forum but wanted to see what those here have to say about this.

I want to add Van's 13.6 kit to my 13 (cj tb, jlt intake, lund tune) but I'm afraid I'll lose my traction.

My 13 has the SVTP so I'm not looking to change the shocks/struts.

Right now my suspension mods are
bobs LCA
BMR UCA/Panhard bar/brace
FRPP springs
Michelin 265/35 front and 295/35 rear on HRE p40 20x10 front and 20x11 rears.

When the tires are warm and it is not cold out the car hooks very well as is but I want a low 11 second car with a low 3 0-60 times. I can't run drag radials because I drive my car in the rain so I'm wondering what else can I do that won't effect my DD ability as well as just overall fun of the car.

For example I could go full griggs and have it handle better than a GT3 but then it is going to be loud as hell from all the heim joints. So what else can I do?

shelbysvt

Established Member
295s on an 11 inch wheel?

Michelins PSS run a little wider than a normal tire. They fit perfectly actually. I know if I go to a 315 when the thread runs out I will have to modify the car to make them fit.

So a 295 michelin is equivalent to a 305 for say nitto for example.

rwboring

Established Member
From what I've seen/read the Nitto 555R's aren't toooo bad in the rain. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Truth is other then tires it is hard to get that kind of power to the ground. That's the sole reason why I went from a Mustang to a Jeep SRT8 but now that I have a DD I'm back haha.

shelbysvt

Established Member
From what I've seen/read the Nitto 555R's aren't toooo bad in the rain. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Truth is other then tires it is hard to get that kind of power to the ground. That's the sole reason why I went from a Mustang to a Jeep SRT8 but now that I have a DD I'm back haha.

Well its hard to find a better tire than the PSS besides the sport cup which don't come in a rim size of 20 I believe.

I was thinking the only way I can see is to get wider tires when these run out. Anything else I am thinking will make the car unbearable to drive every day.

rwboring

Established Member
maybe get an extra set of rear rims? or use the stockers with some DR's?

I always worry about hydroplaning in the rain more then traction issues. Do you drive far to work or where ever you'd be going in the rain?

shelbysvt

Established Member

I always worry about hydroplaning in the rain more then traction issues. Do you drive far to work or where ever you'd be going in the rain?

Work for me is like 7 miles. Not far at all. But I'm more concerned with the weekend driving and it rains.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Well its hard to find a better tire than the PSS besides the sport cup which don't come in a rim size of 20 I believe.

I was thinking the only way I can see is to get wider tires when these run out. Anything else I am thinking will make the car unbearable to drive every day.

I'd think your best bet would be to look at your tire options a little more closely. Finding a way to run a drag radial will probably make the biggest difference for you. Many many people ran Nitto DR's on their daily driver cars back in '03/04 when the Terminators came out and didn't have a problem. I havn't modded my Shelby yet so I can't speak from experience on it with DR's, but I can't imagine it would be much different.

Just as you had to use your head when driving your stock GY's in cold weather this past winter, you simply need to adjust your driving style accordingly if it rains and you're on DR's.

shelbysvt

Established Member
I'd think your best bet would be to look at your tire options a little more closely. Finding a way to run a drag radial will probably make the biggest difference for you. Many many people ran Nitto DR's on their daily driver cars back in '03/04 when the Terminators came out and didn't have a problem. I havn't modded my Shelby yet so I can't speak from experience on it with DR's, but I can't imagine it would be much different.

Just as you had to use your head when driving your stock GY's in cold weather this past winter, you simply need to adjust your driving style accordingly if it rains and you're on DR's.

Well someone educate me on drag radials. What number one is the best brand and model? Also what is the dfiference between the drag radial and an R compound tire. If drag radials can be driven in the ran at that point I rather get the michelin sport cup tires.

dotmpeg

Established Member
Posted this up on another forum but wanted to see what those here have to say about this.

I want to add Van's 13.6 kit to my 13 (cj tb, jlt intake, lund tune) but I'm afraid I'll lose my traction.

bobs LCA
FRPP springs

When the tires are warm and it is not cold out the car hooks very well as is but I want a low 11 second car with a low 3 0-60 times. I can't run drag radials because I drive my car in the rain so I'm wondering what else can I do that won't effect my DD ability as well as just overall fun of the car.

For example I could go full griggs and have it handle better than a GT3 but then it is going to be loud as hell from all the heim joints. So what else can I do?

got any pics?

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
FWIW, I've got Van's 13-6 kit and 305/35/20 MT's on an extra set of stock SVTPP wheels - That's it.

I would like to find a way to get more traction!

This past weekend I put my stock GY's back on for state inspection - Those damn things are about useless with the 13-6 kit!

Last edited:

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
I ran Mickey Thompson 305's Street Radials on my '11 5.0 for 6k miles and they were (and still are) a great tire, they even stuck well in the rain (granted my driving was under 60mph and less than spirited as I don't mess around in the rain). I have the same tires on my '13 Shelby and they hook right out of the hole. My car records a 0-60 of 3 seconds lol. I highly recommend them.

662HP631TQ

Established Member

I drove 4+ hours in the rain conservatively with the GY's in about 43 Degree weather and I never gave them a second thought. just drove the speed limit with Cruise Control On/ I had somewhere to be in the Shelby so I had to take it and didn't have another choice. If it wasn't for the car itself having an appointment, I would have taken another car, but after the experience I never felt like I was ever going to lose control.

662HP631TQ

Established Member

I think the bolded can be said about any tire in the rain. But that is damn good advice!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well someone educate me on drag radials. What number one is the best brand and model? Also what is the dfiference between the drag radial and an R compound tire. If drag radials can be driven in the ran at that point I rather get the michelin sport cup tires.

I daily drove my '01 and '04 Cobras on nitto nt555R drag radials for approx. 12k miles. If you only have a short commute and drive with caution in the rain, it is VERY doable to drive that tire daily. The MTs might be good in the rain also, but the 555R gives up a little strip traction to be an awesome DD street tire, the 305 fits the factory rear awesome also.
It all comes down to driving smart. I kept the traction control button intact in the Cobras, just keep the TC on in therain and you will be fine. I plan on running DRs daily when the GT500 arrives.
-J
:beer:

rwboring

Established Member
I daily drove my '01 and '04 Cobras on nitto nt555R drag radials for approx. 12k miles. If you only have a short commute and drive with caution in the rain, it is VERY doable to drive that tire daily. The MTs might be good in the rain also, but the 555R gives up a little strip traction to be an awesome DD street tire, the 305 fits the factory rear awesome also.
It all comes down to driving smart. I kept the traction control button intact in the Cobras, just keep the TC on in therain and you will be fine. I plan on running DRs daily when the GT500 arrives.
-J
:beer:

thats the same as I always read and what I am planning on doing when my tires are done! The NT05R seems like too much where the 555R at least has some water channeling

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I would look at the toyo r888 in 315mm as well. Same rubber comoound as a 555r drag radial, but more friendly in the rain.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I would look at the toyo r888 in 315mm as well. Same rubber comoound as a 555r drag radial, but more friendly in the rain.

+1

Had them on my 700/670 tq 09 and they hooked great. They also have good reviews in the rain but never tried them out, definitely great in the twisties...

Van@RevanRacing

bobs LCA
FRPP springs

Believe it or not BMR Single Adjustable Lower Control Arms and Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets help to reduce thrust angle and create a better instant center in the suspension geometry.

I use exactly what I mention above on my 2013. My car does NOT kick the right rear out which is a product of thrust angle. My thrust angle is zero so when I do break traction I can pedal the throttle and stay in it while the car tracks straight. Granted I'm running around on OEM GY's and 765 RWHP but I manage it and recently disposed of a ZL1 on the street which was a fun KILL by the way.

Because of the suspension geometry improvements the car tracks straighter, has a better instant center and gets traction faster after it does break loose.

That's why I use the stock tires. Use them and abuse them and try to make the suspension work with them. I can only imagine how good my car would hook with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
Believe it or not BMR Single Adjustable Lower Control Arms and Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets help to reduce thrust angle and create a better instant center in the suspension geometry.

I use exactly what I mention above on my 2013. My car does NOT kick the right rear out which is a product of thrust angle. My thrust angle is zero so when I do break traction I can pedal the throttle and stay in it while the car tracks straight. Granted I'm running around on OEM GY's and 765 RWHP but I manage it and recently disposed of a ZL1 on the street which was a fun KILL by the way.

Because of the suspension geometry improvements the car tracks straighter, has a better instant center and gets traction faster after it does break loose.

That's why I use the stock tires. Use them and abuse them and try to make the suspension work with them. I can only imagine how good my car would hook with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

It's funny you say that. I posted a story early on in February where I almost got out accelerated by a Mazda MPV in cold weather. Reminiscing of the horrific spin fest I recall that in the first three gears the rear headed ralph (right) three times. This was prior to lowering the car and installing the BMR items you mentioned above. Now in the event of wheel spin I definitely notice that the car tracks much straighter. I initially thought that the crown of the road was at fault, not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread