How To: Eliminate Boost Drop Off (eliminate boost solenoid)

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i did mod not sure if it worked or not but car feels the same to me....

but everything is as it appears on the pictures.

what should i look for to know that it worked properly?

thanks and im new to the mod motors. ive always been a ford guy and built several fox stangs but the mods are very complex to me.

bmxer89

Established Member
Nice write up, I shall do it this winter when i get the blower pullied and ported.

cobradrivr

Heaton Slowbra *****
Established Member
TTT, Just did this mod, It works. Im runnin a 2.76/4lb combo if that means anything. I would tell my friends to do this mod.

metaman

Established Member
The twin screws that I have seen already do not employ the use of the boost solenoid. If your twin screw is set up using the boost solenoid then it would no doubt help.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
all this sounds great. so is there really any down fall to doing this mod and still drive this car normally on the road. trying to figure out if its worth going ahead and doing this somewhat permenant mod or just swapping the two vacuum lines when i get to the track and just putting it back when im done, or is this one of those mods that ford should have just gone ahead and done from the factory?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
all this sounds great. so is there really any down fall to doing this mod and still drive this car normally on the road. trying to figure out if its worth going ahead and doing this somewhat permenant mod or just swapping the two vacuum lines when i get to the track and just putting it back when im done, or is this one of those mods that ford should have just gone ahead and done from the factory?

do it. its easy, no side effects. ford should have done this.

anthonyg

Established Member
goood write up. cleans up under hood a lot. boost comes on a lil quicker, feels like it pulls harder but it might be in my head?

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
well i finally got around to performing this mod. very simple i only did one thing different though. instead of wire ties i used alittle dab on super glue inside of the fittings that go on the red vacuum lines. it should be good or atleast ill keep an eye on it. once the glue set up it i couldnt seperate the lines from the fittings and IMO cleaner appearance. i should have my IDS with me this week so when its not raining out ill do some datalogging. I will be at the track this weekend so ill try to remember to bring it for some track passes.

layzie

Established Member
No, please go back and read the entire first post in this thread. I mention that type of mod and why it is bad.

But its STEEDA dude. I have a hard time thinking that steeda wouldn't have done a ton of research before they made that part to make sure it was the best way to do it. They always do that!

Maybe I am just buying into corporate BS? Hmm..

metaman

Established Member
When it comes to suspension, steeda is a great company. However, when it comes to tuning cobras look somewhere else. I used to live about 10 miles from Steeda and have a few of their parts on my car because those parts work. However, trust me when I tell you that if you do not give the upper port on the bypass actuator a source for vacuum when not in boost then you will have higher intake temperatures. I guarantee it. I know because I used to have mine set up that way. I checked the before and after, the intake temps dropped 20 degrees when I re-enabled the actuator with the mod the way I have listed.

They are trying to accomplish something good with that mod. They are trying to keep the bypass valve from cracking open under boost. However, in the process they are preventing the valve from opening under vacuum. That is bad, you have to have a functional bypass valve on a PD blower.

K-Dubb

Established Member
I just did this mod. Not sure if it helped or not as I had not driven the car enough before. I also do not have an aftermarket boost gauge. It seems like it feels better, but it was also cooler tonight. No side effects that I can tell, but I only have the stock temp gauge.

layzie

Established Member
Alright metaman. You seem to know wtf you are talking about so I will give it a try tomorrow.

Do you measure IAT's via a hand held tuner or do you have a custom temp gauge wired?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I just did this mod. Not sure if it helped or not as I had not driven the car enough before. I also do not have an aftermarket boost gauge. It seems like it feels better, but it was also cooler tonight. No side effects that I can tell, but I only have the stock temp gauge.

the temps they are talking about are the intake air temps. you dont have a gauge for that. it can be read with the hand held.

Users who are viewing this thread