How to deal with neighbors and their pets

04svtsnke

Established Member
me and my wife moved into our house last august. on the side is a fairly steep hill that we turned into a natural area. The area consist of exotic trees, shrubs, plants, ect. We have noticed that some( or one) of our neighbors are allowing their pet to take shits in our natural area. Usually the wife catches it before she steps in it, but she has twice. This last incident happened this morning and she said it couldnt have happened but a few minutes prior to her going outside( 7am) because she smelled it several feet before getting there. What's pissing me off is the lack of respect for even coming on my property, then letting your pet shit on it, and then not having the decency to pick it up. What are some ideas for keeping these inconsiderate pricks out of our yard? I'm pretty pissed and the only ideas I can come up with are extreme and police inviting. Thanks in advance

ps- to clarify we have a fence up, but our HOA only allows it around the house and not around the entire property, and we basically dont want our two year old near anything with a decline and near the road.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Its best to try and not make an enemy of you neighbor. Assume that they are unaware of the situation.

I assume your talking about a dog. Right? Leash laws should prohibit their dog from wandering into your yard. Are they just letting it run loose?

If it was me, I would start by making friendly conversation with the neighbor. The neighbor might get embarassed about the dog-crap issue and go into denial or get nasty. Maybe just say your kid/wife is afraid of dogs, and you want to make sure there is not an 'incident'. ....And evidence proves the dog has been in your yard! Right?

I have dogs, but am very careful to keep them in my yard.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
me and my wife moved into our house last august. on the side is a fairly steep hill that we turned into a natural area. The area consist of exotic trees, shrubs, plants, ect. We have noticed that some( or one) of our neighbors are allowing their pet to take shits in our natural area. Usually the wife catches it before she steps in it, but she has twice. This last incident happened this morning and she said it couldnt have happened but a few minutes prior to her going outside( 7am) because she smelled it several feet before getting there. What's pissing me off is the lack of respect for even coming on my property, then letting your pet shit on it, and then not having the decency to pick it up. What are some ideas for keeping these inconsiderate pricks out of our yard? I'm pretty pissed and the only ideas I can come up with are extreme and police inviting. Thanks in advance

ps- to clarify we have a fence up, but our HOA only allows it around the house and not around the entire property, and we basically dont want our two year old near anything with a decline and near the road.

Have you addressed this issue with your neighbor to make them aware of your concern?

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Just ask that they clean up after themselves if it is them. If you don't know for sure that it is them and not some other dog, watch and find out if it is indeed them. Really not a huge deal, but just be polite about it and see what happens.

dajohu

Established Member
You could use a scoop to fling the crap back into thier area as far as possible, or shoot the dog with a low powered pellet gun when ever it crosses into your area. One method will help the owner understand, and the other methid will help the dog. That is of course, if they don't take care of the situation after talking to them about it.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
You didn't say whether you know the owner of the dog taking the dumps on your property. Get a cheap trail cam (borrow one from your deer hunting buds) and get proof of the culprits first. Once you have the evidence you can handle it whatever way you see fit.

U.M.

04svtsnke

Established Member
Its best to try and not make an enemy of you neighbor. Assume that they are unaware of the situation.

I assume your talking about a dog. Right? Leash laws should prohibit their dog from wandering into your yard. Are they just letting it run loose?

If it was me, I would start by making friendly conversation with the neighbor. The neighbor might get embarassed about the dog-crap issue and go into denial or get nasty. Maybe just say your kid/wife is afraid of dogs, and you want to make sure there is not an 'incident'. ....And evidence proves the dog has been in your yard! Right?

I have dogs, but am very careful to keep them in my yard.

I'm not sure which person in the neighborhood is doing this yet. I do recall every animal withtheir owner is on a leash. What burns me is the poop was 20-25 feet from the road in the area meaning they had to( in most cases) come onto my property to allow the dog to poop where it did. Theres an open area directly across the street that has nice fresh green land that isnt occupied and perfect for animals yet our spot was defiled upon..
Have you addressed this issue with your neighbor to make them aware of your concern?

Just ask that they clean up after themselves if it is them. If you don't know for sure that it is them and not some other dog, watch and find out if it is indeed them. Really not a huge deal, but just be polite about it and see what happens.

I am a bit pissed about something off topic and youre correct I do need to find who is doing it and I'll politely ask them to stop but it will involve us sitting on the side of our house, watching every owner that comes by with their dog.

04svtsnke

Established Member
You could use a scoop to fling the crap back into thier area as far as possible, or shoot the dog with a low powered pellet gun when ever it crosses into your area. One method will help the owner understand, and the other methid will help the dog. That is of course, if they don't take care of the situation after talking to them about it.

that was my idea I was thinking of( except I was just going to sit out with the pellet gun staring at everyone who walked by with a dog, but I dont wana be THAT guy). Sound advice if it doesnt stop after I let them know.

You didn't say whether you know the owner of the dog taking the dumps on your property. Get a cheap trail cam (borrow one from your deer hunting buds) and get proof of the culprits first. Once you have the evidence you can handle it whatever way you see fit.

U.M.

This will be the plan I act upon today once we go out later. I dont know which neighboe is doing it, all we know is its always early in the morning.

oldmodman

Established Member
Could it be a raccoon or a coyote?

They crap all over the place here in SoCal. We have built all over their traditional habitats.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Get a small sign that states no animals allowed. We have them in my neighborhood so that dog owners know that there are designated areas for dogs to go to the bathroom.

Put a few in a place that owners will see them, set up a camera and if they do it again ge the police involved. Its trespassing once you notify them that they are not allowed on the grass. We have had people get fined and threatened from our HOA about this.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

U.M.

That would be my suggestion.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
What kind of shit does it look like?
It could be a wild animal like oldmodman suggested.
I would play dumb with your neighbor
"Dude you should see this log some wild creature dropped off in the side yard"! "Looks like a friggin bear turd"
"I'm gonna see if the HOA can set up some traps"!

raustin0017

Established Member
Its just dog shit.....if it were me I would clean it up and press on. Life is too darn short to get spun up and have a neighbor war over a few piles of crap.

04svtsnke

Established Member
Could it be a raccoon or a coyote?

They crap all over the place here in SoCal. We have built all over their traditional habitats.
It looks like dog crap. It even coincides with the times most walk their dogs before work. A camera will solve this.
Get a small sign that states no animals allowed. We have them in my neighborhood so that dog owners know that there are designated areas for dogs to go to the bathroom.

Put a few in a place that owners will see them, set up a camera and if they do it again ge the police involved. Its trespassing once you notify them that they are not allowed on the grass. We have had people get fined and threatened from our HOA about this.
Thats our plan as of this moment.
Report it to your HOA with the offenders' addresses.
After getting adequate evidence we plan to do this
That would be my suggestion.
Will do
What kind of shit does it look like?
It could be a wild animal like oldmodman suggested.
I would play dumb with your neighbor
"Dude you should see this log some wild creature dropped off in the side yard"! "Looks like a friggin bear turd"
"I'm gonna see if the HOA can set up some traps"!

Haha that's pretty funny and would probably be enough to cause anyone to stop. Problem is we don't know many people and its clear the person doing this doesn't know us nor do they respect the time and money it took us to get it looking good.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I would talk to the owner before I told the HOA.
If you go straight to the HOA it might ruffle more feathers. I'd give them a chance to fix it before tattle telling on them. lol

Superhawk2002

Established Member
Similar problems when we lived in a subdivision. I tried talking to the neighbor via personal contact and then mail. The talks seemed to only make things worse. After repeated issues between my wife and the neighbor lady, I had to move a fence, lose some of our yard, and finally just start being an asshole. The HOA was a total joke and didn't help or want to get involved. The local PD told me to trap the dogs and take them to an animal shelter. The biggest reason I wanted to move to a place with lots of property was because of that stupid neighbor *****. I will never live in a subdivision again.

If my wife wasn't a veterinarian with a huge heart, the neighbor dogs and cats would have been dead. Indiana is a very pro-property owner state, so I had little worries about any legal issues.

I would think the game cam is your best bet. Take the evidence with you once you find out who the owner is. Be polite the first time. Don't waste your breath or time on a second attempt.

Good luck.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
when diplomacy fails... and it will fail...

triple S...

IMAG0348.jpg

twistid

Established Member
when diplomacy fails... and it will fail...

triple S...

IMAG0348.jpg

That top picture looks like a BB gun but that bottom picture looks like a glock barrel with a silencer? What kind of BB gun is that?

disregard, I just saw the Tactical Solution 22LR on the side...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread