how to clean or delete my imrc's on 98 cobra

Martin6107

Established Member
Leaving the shafts in place will not cause problems. Don't forget to replace the o-rings on the ends of each shaft (4 in total). You can get replacements from just about any real hardware store. The stock o-rings will be dried up, cracked and leaking by now. Just repairing the vacuum leak alone will provide net performance improvements.

As far as cleaning goes, see if any machine shops in your area have an ultrasonic tank to clean your IMRC plates. It will do wonders. We are fortunate to have a shop here in KC that has a tank large enough to wash a couple engine blocks at a time. It works miracles on aluminum.

craigjames46

Established Member
OK cool I was just wondering because everyone takes it out didn't wanna ruin anything ... will I lose bottom end power by removing this...??? I already have 410s in it ....

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The IMRC butterfly valves themselves keep the rods in place inside of the IMRC plates. If you remove the round valve plates without figuring out how to keep the rods in, there is nothing to keep the rods from sliding out towards the rear other than the firewall or O-ring friction.

Last edited:

craigjames46

Established Member
OK cool I was just wondering because everyone takes it out didn't wanna ruin anything ... will I lose bottom end power by removing this...??? I already have 410s in it ....

craigjames46

Established Member
Yeah I figured I was gonna have too have it tuned ... ? Will long tube headers fit with the stock know member ?

craigjames46

Established Member
I'm gonna have it tuned because I'm doing the imrc deletes anyway just wondering if they fit cause I heard you need a different k member

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Did you notice any big gain from them ? Just wondering if it's worth the money

Yea, it really seemed to wake the car up. Felt more responsive and obviously sounded a lot more aggressive. I don't have any dyno numbers before and after so I haven't any concrete data to back my claims. Just how it felt to me. Like mwolson said though you really will need a tune to get all the benefits out of them.

craigjames46

Established Member
yeah for sure I'm just wondering what mods too do with out putting a power adder cause the car is really mint but it need just a little more get up and go too keep up with all these new car

Users who are viewing this thread