How to clean engine?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I will tell you this. I've tried everything and nothing works better than Spray N' Wash. Absolutely unbelievable. Rinse off, then use an electric leaf blower to dry. Works every time. Even works for ridding yourself of other grimey crud on the car too.

This stuff is the bomb. It gets rid of carpet stains, oil stains, even black magic marker stains.

:beer:

2FastMonts

Established Member
GeoSnake said:
I've been detailing cars for over 12 years now and there is no better way to clean your engine bay than w/ water. The absolute best results I've seen have come by using CD-2's Engine Detailing Kit. CD-2 makes other engine additives that I don't use, but this kit works great! It comes w/ two cans, one a cleaner and the other the detailing/shine spray. My best advice is to follow the direction on the cans for best results. The only thing I do different is I have my compressor ready to blow the excess moisture off the electrical components after washing. I've never had any problems.

Unfortunately CD-2 aka Turtle Wax stopped making this engine cleaning kit. I searched all over town for it and when I couldn't find it I called Turtle Wax. They said that it didn't sell very well and I said that's too bad because it was the best kit I ever used. So if you can still find it on the store shelf I suggest buying as many of them as you can.

Fosters

Established Member
Perferd said:
^ Or just go buy some simple green spray it all over let it sit and then wash it off....

simple green is the <insert censored word>. get a gallon of the stuff, once you'll see how well it works, you'll use it on everything :) I love it. The only thing it has trouble with is the dust inside the rims, that's where the brake cleaner comes in...

caseydp75

My wife's handpuppet
Established Member
I just use the green stuff at the car wash, let it soak while I spray down the rest of the car, and then come back with soap/rinse combo. The haul ass home to dry it off. And I do that on all my cars and have never had a problem. The rust is, well, gonna happen regardless....

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
caseydp75 said:
I just use the green stuff at the car wash, let it soak while I spray down the rest of the car, and then come back with soap/rinse combo. The haul ass home to dry it off. And I do that on all my cars and have never had a problem. The rust is, well, gonna happen regardless....

I was doing that, and while it cleaned the metal parts pretty good, it turned my hoses green!!! :( Now I just use the regular soap and rinse it w/ the "spot free" option.

I think the pressure wash is okay as long as you don't hold it in one place too long. The only real problem I've heard of is if you get water under the spark plug covers it can cause corrosion there around the plug threads and or the COP. Like I said, just don't point the pressure wash at one area for too long.

I will probably use some NXT or something similar on the hoses next year. :rolling:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Does the Simple Green need to be diluted before use? Also, I'm assuming it will also work for cleaning the underside of the car. I keep my motor wiped down with wet rags and quick detailer, but I'd like to give it a good cleaning when the weather warms up a bit. Looks like I need to pick up some Meguiar's Vinyl/Rubber Protectant for the hoses and plastic. I also keep the wheel wells clean and protected with tire shine. Might as well get the car in the air and degrease the underside while I'm at it. Looks like the Meguiar's Engine Wax will work well to protect the chassis.

r6bullet

Established Member
I have to clean my engine by hand, if you know anything about the LT1 engine then you would know that it has an opti-spark distributor. And if you knew that then you would know that any water+opti=an LT1 that dosn't run. Oh well

ron_lightning04

Established Member
the way i do it is

1. get motor wet with water cover battery and open filter if you got one or take it off
2. cover engine in foamy engine brite it has to be foamy to not just the regular
3. then after all bubbles are gone rinse
4 then spray the hole motor with a bottle of armor all

look better than new that is what i don looks awsome

lates ron,

j080808

Established Member
For my motorcycles I have been using S100 cleaner for the last several years. It is expensive, but it actually works just like they say. You spray it on, wait a bit and rinse it off, cuts through all the dirt and leaves it looking great. I use it on all my outdoor equipment from my grill to my lawnmower. Available at most/any motorcycle shop. I would recommend this product without hesitation, I used it last weekend to detail my redfire from the wheel wells to the engine bay to the under-carriage.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
ron_lightning04 said:
4 then spray the hole motor with a bottle of armor all........

You HAVE to be joking about this. This is a NO-NO. This has to be one of the crappiest ways to "shine up" your engine bay. If you were to do this in a car show, judges would keep walking. It also looks like ass IMO, and attracts even more dust and grime than normal. Use a good high quality protectant on hoses and rubber, then use a high quality detailing spray for the rest. ;-)

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I've used simple green and cuts the grease. BUT, I did notice that it takes the protective coating off of the radiator hoses so I stopped using it. After a few months in the intense heat here they began to turn a brownish color and crack.

Spray N Wash is the only thing I use now. :thumbsup:

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
This is my waterless method...I use a microfiber towel or cotton rag with generous amounts for Meguiar's detailer. This works pretty well, and the detailer leaves a shiny finish. I've been to a lot of car shows and no one's complained that my engine wasn't clean.

jv84venom

Established Member
:shrug: Everyone keeps throwing around the word "deionized". Deionized water is simply "super-filtered" water. Water is passed through a filter to remove all dissolved solids present. This would be the final step after going through a water softener system. The Mr. Clean system is similar to this and would be sufficient. It makes no difference if you're washing the engine or the outside of the car. The main purpose is to eliminate water spots. If you don't have a softener either on your hose or in your house, then just dry it off with towels or air and it really doesn't matter. :-D

CobraTom

Banned
This is a great thread guys! :rockon: I just got my 03 cobra and was really worried about cleaning my engine. All the electrical wires and the supercharger. Didn't want to screw anything up. I guess it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread