How to clean engine?

methodical

Established Member
I have looked at other threads, and I was wondering how can I go about cleaning the motor, without having to use the water hose? With all of the electrical components, and worrying about water getting into any places where it's not supposed to be. I just don't like the fact of using the hose directly on the motor...Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
I've been detailing cars for over 12 years now and there is no better way to clean your engine bay than w/ water. The absolute best results I've seen have come by using CD-2's Engine Detailing Kit. CD-2 makes other engine additives that I don't use, but this kit works great! It comes w/ two cans, one a cleaner and the other the detailing/shine spray. My best advice is to follow the direction on the cans for best results. The only thing I do different is I have my compressor ready to blow the excess moisture off the electrical components after washing. I've never had any problems.

methodical

Established Member
How to clean engine??

I trust that you know your stuff when it comes to detailing engines for 12 years. The question still remains...What do I have to cover on the engine...and should I use deionized water for the engine bay....to prevent rust. Is there something else that I could use besides water? I am just worried about water ending up in the wrong places..or rusting some parts!! I have never cleaned the engine bay on my 04 Cobra..This will be the 1st time...just alittle worried about the water. Besides the 03-04 Cobra bay is complicated alot of electrical items...Remember this is a $40,000 car...cheap by no means...expensive if you phuck it up

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
Dealerships on the east coast are going to use a water hose. The key to inhibiting rust would be proper drying. I completely understand the need/want to stay away from water, although I just dont really know a better method. Try this, go to www.corral.net and go to the forums and register. The Corral is one of the largest Mustang-based websites around. Post this same question under the Body Shop forum. That's where I've seen a lot of detaining questions get answered and you might find a better answer there.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I use a towel and a bucket of water. Get the towel wet, wring it out and start wiping down the engine. Since the towel is only damp, theres no need to worry about corrosion of parts. It takes awhile but the results are awesome. Be patient and get into all the corners with the towel. Follow this up with Meguiars MirrorGlaze #38 Rubber and Vinyl cleaner/Protectant. Its like armor all but its not greasy and doesnt collect dust. Apply it with a foam applicator to every peice of black plastic in the engine bay. Dont worry about any of the excess, once you take the car for a drive and the engine heats up the underhood itll all dissapear and look great, this will also evaporate any water thats on the motor incase you get alittle carried away with the water. Use quick detailer and a clean dry towel on any painted surface. hth :thumbsup:

Last edited:

methodical

Established Member
Cleaning engine!!

Thank you all for your replies...I will take all ideas into effect once I got about cleaning the engine bay. Once again...Thank You....Methodical

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I've always used deionized water along with simple green for the really dirty stuff (diluted if necessary). Carb cleaner works well on dirty stuff too but it is kinda caustic.

tumm37

Established Member
spray it down with degreaser, power wash and if you got, dry with air compressor blow tool...will look like new. just cover any open air filters and avoid spraying hot motors...also avoid soaking ignition components...thats all the tips i got...shouldnt have a problem

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member
all i do is spray ti down with pressure washer and dry it off and have never had one problem with things getting wet or any type of rust

metaman

Established Member
I have used water to clean the engine on my 03 cobra many times. Just make sure that it is low volume, low water velosity. The only problem area I have heard about is getting water under the coil covers on top of the cam covers. This is after they have been taken off and reinstalled with no previsions for keeping water out on the install. With the engine cold I use some airosol glass cleaner. Then I use eagle one on the black parts for that newer than new look.

methodical

Established Member
Engine Cleaning

For those of you who use water, Do you cover anything electrical in the engine bay? What about underneath the covers to the plugs? I understand that I have to use deionized water, but I am very nervous about water getting to the electrical components or to the plugs...All your help is appreciated..

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
Do you cover anything electrical in the engine bay?

I use those plastic grocery store bags, one over the CAI, and one over the fuse box. I also don't use the pressure nossle on the hose. I wash it using a rag and zaino car wash. I then dry it with my old absorber (I replaced a microfiber towel to dry the car), and use some matte plastic/rubber cleaner I bought from Autopia. It looks great! If you wint high gloss spray teh engine down with tire foam and in 30 minutes it will be high gloss. I personnaly like the matte finish better.

hj16

Established Member
1. Put plastic bag over battery

2. Check to make sure everything is sealed

3. Spray down entire engine bay with Simple Green... spray generously

4. Scrub any areas of think grungy residue in tight spots with a toothbrush

5. Let sit for 10-15minutes

6. Rinse off with hose. RINSE not spray

7. Use a towel to sponge up the puddled areas

8. Close Hood

9. Start and run engine at Idle for about 5-10minutes

10. Pop Hood