How to be a proper NCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
LEAD, dont follow. Some people have a natural instinct for leadership, other have to build. There are managers, and there are leaders. Learn to be both, and when to apply accordingly.

Set the example, be the example.

Have a mentor, regardless if its another NCO or someone higher ranking, you need that input/guidance.

Learn from your mistakes, and others.

Know what battles to fight, and what bridges to burn, not all of them are worth fighting.

Hold those accountable around you for their actions, including other NCO's, just dont turn a blind eye.

Give constructive feedback, cultivate & empower those under you to your job, and hold them to the same standards you hold yourself to. Be realistic....

Be prepared for change, manage it correctly. It will happen especially in today's military.

Realize, there are some things you cant influence.

Rate someone truthfully. The military would promote alot less shitbags if SNCO/NCO's had alot more conviction and actually rated people on their performance, and not the "norm". If someone sucks, rate them as such, dont award them with a fake performance report marking, your only screwing yourself, and the rest of the people in the process.

When you "say" someone is a good NCO it doesnt mean just as work, or doing their job. I know people who are good, but then you those who would give their shirt off their back or their last dime. Those are your "good" NCO's. Its a well rounded package.

Lastly, just take care of your people. Guard them from the bad people, the stupid policies, and everything in your control. Be that "filter" and voice of reason.

Everything you said is all wrong. j/k. well spoken :rockon:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Oh yeah, dont be an e4, be a corporal...if that makes sense.cbarr300

what? thats the worst rank to be in the army. if they need a lower enlisted for a detail "hey corporal go to xxxxxxxx detail". they need a NCO for duty "hey corporal go pull duty". they need a first line to smash "hey corporal your up to bat" lol. but if you survive as a corporal you are set.

Cbarr300

Established Member
Hmm, forgot you guys had two e4 ranks haha. Its Marine Corps speak for dont be an e4 and just collect a check...be a corporal and lead. Our e4 is only corporal...which I'm sure y'all know lol

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Y'all's rank makes my eyes cross. But not as bad as the navy. So a cpl is not a NCO but a lcpl is a NCO?

OP go to your local scammer... Sorry clothing and sales and get the book "the mentor". There is done decent info in there for newbies. I still use mine from time to time. I think it's kind if expensive but worth it. The day I was promoted to E5 my battle buddies gave me that book and said "life sucks for you now, now start reading"

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
Y'all's rank makes my eyes cross. But not as bad as the navy. So a cpl is not a NCO but a lcpl is a NCO?

OP go to your local scammer... Sorry clothing and sales and get the book "the mentor". There is done decent info in there for newbies. I still use mine from time to time. I think it's kind if expensive but worth it. The day I was promoted to E5 my battle buddies gave me that book and said "life sucks for you now, now start reading"

a Cpl in the Marines is an NCO...a LCpl in the Marines is NOT

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Like others have said, don't be a dick just to be a dick. A lot of new NCO's go through that. You're pretty much done hanging out with junior enlisted because they won't respect the guy at work they had to drag home from the bar last night. Other than that, I'm sure whatever branch you're in has an NCO course (the Marines do), attend ASAP.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Just to reinforce what others have already posted. Lead by example, dont just tell your soldiers to perform a task and disappear, help them accomplish it, I see that shit too much and it sickens me. Work with them, pass on to them the knowledge that you have gained/learned. Treat everyone with respect, dont be a douche just for the sake of it. If someone screws up let them know, that doesnt mean you have to scream, be calm, find a solution. Become extra fit, that means doing PT on your time, not just standard unit PT. When you are bored, brush up on AR 670-1 Appearance and Wear of the Military Uniform. As well, as Custom and Courtesies, making "On the spot corrections". Knowing various regulations can make you a powerful/better NCO, and increase your chances of success. The only bitching you should do is to the squad leader/PSG, if you know they are thinking the same. Dont be afraid to disagree with a senior NCO or officer, disagreeing doesnt mean disloyalty, just a professional opinion.

There is a lot that it is learning as you go, taking an additional two steps, to learn. Congratulations and welcome to the NCO Corps!

Sagittaria

Established Member
Don't be a douche just to be a douche.

Lots of NCO's seem to love doing that.

This. Take the negative selfish emotion out of it. There's a job to be done and that's it. Most junior guys are well intentioned and just need some instruction/direction. No need to belittle them. A little respect as a fellow human being goes a long way. Now obviously for the malicious ones pull the hammer out but otherwise that's about 80% of the job right there.

Spent 3 years as a junior Marine and I learned real quick what not to do.

RusWolf

Established Member
1) A big thing for me is to lead from the front...
2) Make sure you are up to the top standard yourself, before demanding it from your troops.
3) Pass info to them AS SOON as you get it.
4) Stick up for your troops no matter what they did (within a reason) to get brass or senior NCO's off their back. Deal with the troublemaker later on on a platoon/squad level.
5) Remember NCO's are supposed to be with the troops, not with officers.. So do not suck up to the officers and at least make an attempt to get your guys out of BS duties if some idiot LT orders some BS.

Those are the main things for me...

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Take an interest in your younger troops. Some of the younger guys hate the military because it's way of life for them. Although we are Airmen, Soldiers, Marines, Seamen 24/7...you need to tell them to treat it as a job. I worked as a helo mech in the Marines, and it can be very stressful from the brass to get the aircraft up and running when we are waiting on parts.

I told my guys when you're here, you're mine and I expect 100% and I will not favor anyone. Once we leave work and you head back home/barracks, work doesn't follow you. It will ruin marriages, friendship, relationships in general. You have to learn who DGAF and who does. Those who DGAF and are lost no matter how much you put into them, give them what they need but don't get stressed out if they don't live up to your expectation. Not everyone is a stellar person, therefor not a stellar military person.

I've been out for about 8 months, and actually got promoted to Sergeant while I was in Inactive Reserve. There's nothing more rewarding then getting a "Good morning Sergeant' text the morning I was promoted by junior Marines who I haven't seen in months. I still keep in contact with some of them, and give them work and life advice.

With that being said, don't be a friend when you shouldn't. It sounds cheesy, but it's more of a father figure. Someone you can hang out with and kick it, but also give them a scolding when they need it.

Along with disagreeing with SNCO's and Officers, do it. But don't be the NCO that thinks his sh*t don't stink and go behind peoples back and take all the credit but none of the ass chewings. Before you even confront a SNCO or officer, have ammo with you. Like, how something is wrong, why it's wrong, what you can do to fix it, the time it will take to fix. One of my Gunny's absolutely loved me, because he would be scolding/yelling at people for work related things and I would step in and talk to him in private and tell him I've got this. At times, I would yell to him "Gunny, GO AWAY...I got this!" Also know your limits in this, it takes time is all.

Cheers man, and good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread