How To Adjust Clutch Cable

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Is that because the cable stretches over time?
I believe the auto-adjuster was designed to compensate for cable stretch so my guess would be no. The pressure plate needs to be pushed further over time. However I think an old frayed cable or a cable that had developed some elasticity for any reason could contribute the problem.

RJCobra

Established Member
I have an aftermarket clutch already. After I do this mod and cut the plate, would there ever be any reason to reset the adjuster back to where it was? What about when I need another new clutch? Would I THEN have to get an aftermarket quadrant?

Terminator0304

Established Member
I bought my car a month ago and was severly disappointed with the way this thing shifts after driving it today, getting mad and about putting my clutch pedal through the floor I searched and found this thread!!!! I can not wait, to try this., If I can get this car to shift I will be so HAPPY!!!!

K-Dubb

Established Member
If you feel there is too much tension use a big flat head screwdriver and push the release-tension adjuster up right at where you cut the metal plate and it will pop loose, releasing cable tension. Be careful when releasing tension because some have had the cable end come off at the clutch fork.

WARNING: Overtightening the cable could result in damage to the cable, pressure plate, TOB, adjuster or excessively high pedal engagement along with a slipping clutch.

Hi,

I think that I may have overtightened my clutch cable back when i did this mod over a year ago. After I did this mod, my TOB started chirping. If I just barely press the pedal (which is higher than the brake, normal?) the chirping stops. I would like to test this theory.

Can someone show me in this picture wher ethe release tension adjuster is? I pressed with a long screw driver where i thought it was, but nothing happened.

image.jpg

Last edited:

MyNamesAriva

Established Member
Hey guys, I really think that I need this done to my car (2nd to 3rd gear shifts at high rmps are a Bitch) the only problem is that I know if I try this myself it'll end up bad!!!! Really bad...not much of a wrench monkey. So what i'm basically asking is if anybody is willing to give me a hand with this I would really appreciate it. I'll pay if I have to, I just know that if I take it to a shop for this, I'll probly get raped by those guys lol.

K-Dubb

Established Member
Hi,

I think that I may have overtightened my clutch cable back when i did this mod over a year ago. After I did this mod, my TOB started chirping. If I just barely press the pedal (which is higher than the brake, normal?) the chirping stops. I would like to test this theory.

Can someone show me in this picture wher ethe release tension adjuster is? I pressed with a long screw driver where i thought it was, but nothing happened.

image.jpg

Bump

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
After I did this mod, my TOB started chirping
Your TOB is going bad... very common on Terminators. Unfortunately getting the cable tension right can bring to light other issues. A little lube might quiet it down temporarily but it will need to be changed eventually.

T800

Established Member
Your TOB is going bad... very common on Terminators. Unfortunately getting the cable tension right can bring to light other issues. A little lube might quiet it down temporarily but it will need to be changed eventually.

I had the same issue...TOB is toast. Question I have is: Does tightening the cable this way(I only did 2 clicks) have an adverse effect on the TOB? After doing this, it seemed as though the TOB might have been spinning constantly. It absolutely is at this point...squeels like a pig non stop.

I am absolutely certain that I didn't over tighten the cable...it actually could have used another click. Was worried about getting it too tight.

I am putting a new TOB/sleeve/PB/Clutch/26sp input shaft in and don't want any "issues". Any insight?

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
After doing this, it seemed as though the TOB might have been spinning constantly.
Your TOB has always been spinning constantly, that's how the setup is designed. But now that there is more pressure on it you're getting the chirping.

For those that have a bad TOB or sleeve already- tightening the cable will often result in more noise or may even accelerate a compete sleeve failure.

T800

Established Member
Your TOB has always been spinning constantly, that's how the setup is designed. But now that there is more pressure on it you're getting the chirping.

For those that have a bad TOB or sleeve already- tightening the cable will often result in more noise or may even accelerate a compete sleeve failure.

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned that I should put it "back to stock" before the new clutch install. Will move forward with the work.

Just want to add that this mod made a MASSIVE difference in the drive-ability of my car. The shifts at WOT are butter smooth and very forgiving. It literally feels like a different car. For anyone attempting it, it is very easy and took me about 15-20min.

I have a brand new quadrant and adjuster that are gathering dust since there is no motivation to install them after making this adjustment.

For those that have encountered problems, I suspect that it was done incorrectly or there was a preexisting issue.

11bangbang

Established Member
Worked perfectly for me, thanks a ton for the write up. No more missing shifts at high rpms now.

Bugsy

Established Member
Just had this problem happen to me all of a sudden... Extremely hard to shift into first and impossible to shift into any gear at 4500+ Rpms.

Found this thread, followed the instructions and in 5 minutes it shifted better than ever.

So I just wanted to ensure people this does work and thank jm@ReischePerf very much!

Users who are viewing this thread