How To Adjust Clutch Cable

arc00ta

Established Member
I just did this mod, took a solid 4 to 5 minutes since I had to find a dremel. I got SIX!!!! clicks out of my adjuster, now it feels like a normal clutch. I'm so happy I read this. I also found a little surprise on the gas pedal:

DSC_0333.jpg

Terminator2003

Established Member
Ok, so I read through this whole thread 2-3 times and I'm still having a hard time identifying the exact location of the metal plate that I should be cutting off. :( I feel like a complete noob, but I just want to make sure I'm 100% sure on this.

I circled what I believe to be the spot that I need to bend/cut out of the way. Is this correct? I'm sorry for asking such a stupid question, I did read the instructions carefully...I'm still just a little confused.

adjuster2.jpg

Is the circled area the correct location?

xfrosty63x

Established Member
I test-drove a Cobra today where the owner had a shop install a tighter clutch cable. He said that's all that was done to the clutch. I may be a girl, but my leg was shaking because it was so hard to hold the clutch down. How can this be fixed?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
my leg was shaking because it was so hard to hold the clutch down. How can this be fixed?
This issue has nothing to do with the cable adjustment. Likely the car has a 1st gen stock Terminator clutch which are known to be extremely heavy. The only fix is to swap in a new clutch, any of which will be lighter.

xfrosty63x

Established Member
This issue has nothing to do with the cable adjustment. Likely the car has a 1st gen stock Terminator clutch which are known to be extremely heavy. The only fix is to swap in a new clutch, any of which will be lighter.

What do you mean by "1st gen stock Terminator clutch"? This particular Cobra is an 04. The owner said he did not like how soft the clutch felt, so he had them put in another clutch cable that was tighter. Those were his words, and I don't really understand it.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
What do you mean by "1st gen stock Terminator clutch"? This particular Cobra is an 04. The owner said he did not like how soft the clutch felt, so he had them put in another clutch cable that was tighter. Those were his words, and I don't really understand it.

My original stock (factory) clutch was very heavy and brutal in LA traffic. Like others have said, switch to an aftermarket clutch. I personally loved the ACT twin disc I threw in my 03' Cobra.

The ACT twin disc,
This mod,
and the LCD free play mod

....all made a huge difference and the car shifted like "butter" afterwards!

Never switched out the cable or installed an aftermarket quadrant/adjuster. With the mod outlined in this thread...there was no need to.

:shrug:

Later...Dave

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
I'm ready to go oursie and oull out my seat right now. I just want to ask one thing before I start. Right now, I cannot get a single click when pulling uo the clutch pedal. It's like there's no more ability to adjust the clutch using the factory pull up on the pedal process. I'm guessing that my cables now been way to tight and maytbe even stretched from being this way for so long. If I do this mod I should be good, yes??? If anyones on the site right now and can answer real quick I'd sure be appreciative!!! I'd hate to start and find out it's not the answer!!!:beer::beer::beer:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I cannot get a single click when pulling uo the clutch pedal.
That's normal. Pulling up on the pedal just forces the auto adjuster to do something it's supposed to do during normal operation.

As far as cable tension it's just the opposite. The auto adjuster tends to leave the cable too loose to fully disengage the clutch over time and the point of this mod is to be able to put a bit more tension on the cable. Or for aftermarket clutch users allow full adjustability.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
So I did it!!! Cut of the hook with a router bit on my Dremmel but didn't have a cut of blade...so I got out out a brand new 3" Sawsall hacksaw blade and holding it at an angle actually got it under there (THAT TOOK SOME BALLS..lol!!!) and cut it off in about 3 seconds!!! Got one click real easy, drove it and it was MUCH better. Went for a second click and it's now great!!! Just going to get that Royal Purple shit out of there and replace the fluid with some SyncromesH (is that the best one guys???) and I should be shifting like butter!!! THanks...STICKY THIS MODS!!!!

cobraman302

Established Member
THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!

I may be premature on this....but thank you so much OP! I recently purchased an 04' Cobra and out of ALL the 10 mustangs I have owned before this car this is the HARDEST to shift by far. I went to the track and had trouble hitting gears as the clutch doesnt want to disengage all the way. I can be sitting in traffic with it in gear and clutch to the floor and dead rev it and the car will move! I am performing this mod tonight and I will report back after my trip to the drag strip on Saturday. I was so close to buying a cable/quadrant/adjuster, and for saving my money I thank you sir! Since I couldn't powershift the car it was only running low 12's and I am shooting for 11.8X's now that it should be able to shift right. :banana:

Last edited:

peckshelby

Everything Can Be Fixed
Established Member
Thank you! This was very easy and one of the best "free" mods out there! Removing the lower panel below the steering column helped a ton. I did this mod in about 20 minutes and did not need to remove front seat. Two Dremel cuts, pushed up on the adjuster for 2 clicks and now I have a perfect pedal! Before this the pedal had to be pushed to the floor before disengagement, now it's half way down and a lot smoother shifting. Thanks again for an awesome write up! Pic below of completed Mod:
DSC_1132.jpg

94vert50

Established Member
THANK YOU ORIGINAL POSTER!!! I agree that this should be a sticky.

Another successful application of this mod! My clutch setup is all stock and was riding the TOB and very hard to shift sometimes at high RPM. My Dad and I (actually my Dad) cut the metal piece straight across per these instructions with a dremel. Didn't have to cut the plastic tab off to get to it. I put 2 clicks in and I'm good to go. Doesn't ride the TOB anymore and shifts GREAT. It's so much more fun driving this car now.

Before doing the mod, I put a couple clicks in to test it out. Naturally, they came right out. However, I would recommend doing this a few times before doing the mod so you know how much pressure it takes to get the clicks in and you're familiar with that process. My second click was required a lot of pressure. Rubber handle end of hammer worked great for me.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Doesn't ride the TOB anymore and shifts GREAT.
Actually the stock clutch/adjuster setup is designed to rest the TOB on the PP. When you add tension to the cable you're pushing the TOB into the PP with additional pressure. The result allows the the PP fingers to be pushed further in for better clutch disengagement.

K-Dubb

Established Member
Just did this. Got 2 clicks and it feels pretty good!! Thank you!

Last edited:

12.5/1

Established Member
Clutch adjust

The part that was lleft out is that you have to get a small Chinaman to do it for you. Has to be under 5ft 2in

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
The part that was lleft out is that you have to get a small Chinaman to do it for you. Has to be under 5ft 2in

The trick is to take a few minutes and remove the seat first...this will save time and or injury in the long run.

Or you can always hire cheap labor. Your choice?

:lol:

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread