How strong is the IRS?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I’ve heard the iron 95 T-bird diff section is stronger and is relatively cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Didnt know the 95 tbird diff would bolt up to the cobra irs

wckdvnm

Established Member
Didnt know the 95 tbird diff would bolt up to the cobra irs

Yeah the guy who owns “the pumpkin” cobra is replacing his with a T-Bird diff. He’s not the first I’ve seen do it but he’s someone doing it now.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yeah the guy who owns “the pumpkin” cobra is replacing his with a T-Bird diff. He’s not the first I’ve seen do it but he’s someone doing it now.

Seems like pretty cheap reaplacement then..cause you can find them in wrecking yards.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Seems like pretty cheap reaplacement then..cause you can find them in wrecking yards.

I forget what his username is on here but yeah he even said he got his from a junkyard. I guess the weight difference is 14 lbs but it’s a stronger unit (so it’s claimed)

wckdvnm

Established Member
1094a655a7cd10f19c3726249457a3bc.jpg
5e8d6862c3c6e04725e024d347c78eb2.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I forget what his username is on here but yeah he even said he got his from a junkyard. I guess the weight difference is 14 lbs but it’s a stronger unit (so it’s claimed)

He cleaned it up well

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Yea,that’s Jeff Smith (bad93svt) or something close to that.he cracked his gear case also.700hp+stick shift , slick&track prep=matter of time! I respect him & understand what he’s doing 9.xx on IRS!!! I’m an original owner,rebuilt the IRS once,and exited for the SRA change!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Man that was destructive! i have the same IRS setup, FTBR everything... and i still get wheel hop on my 18in R888, i haven't tried launching on a tall slick yet, but its coming. I want to keep my IRS so i hope i don't see that kind of carnage! although i already have snapped the axles.
Are you getting wheel hop during street use? I'm on 18's with r888 and only ftbr diff bushings. No wheel hop here.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Yeah I just took it out this afternoon, granted it is cold here 31deg. And I know the tires get hard. My car wheel hops of a 2nd gear roll, its frustrating! In the summer i run the rire pressure low 28-29psi but it will still hop on occasions.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Been there! I upgraded every thing with top shelf parts as well, up until I broke the housing just like you. I wasted a shit load of time on the IRS, the entire 2017 season was spent breaking drivetrain parts. People that say only wheel hop breaks the IRS make me laugh.

I ended up swapping in a strange 9”.

GodStang

Established Member
Been there! I upgraded every thing with top shelf parts as well, up until I broke the housing just like you. I wasted a shit load of time on the IRS, the entire 2017 season was spent breaking drivetrain parts. People that say only wheel hop breaks the IRS make me laugh.

I ended up swapping in a strange 9”.

I think the people saying only wheel hop breaks the IRS is referring to the half shafts since 90% of the time when half shafts go it is due to Wheel hop.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
funny..all I read is irs is bad..go straight.

corvette has irs..what is ford missing?

Corvette designed the car for IRS (which still get extremely expense to upgrade when you put power down), and more importantly, the newer mustangs were designed for IRS and do exceptionally well.

The 03/04 cobra IRS was an afterthought to the chassis.

bad93svt

Established Member
My main cap broke, which allowed diff to walk, which in turn chipped ring gear. my housing was also questionable. I decided to buy a 95 t-bird housing (175), It cleaned up real well. I installed new ford racing 355 gears, all new bearings from ford. I re-used my trutrac. Gears setup much easier in iron housing.
I installed some baer drag brakes, just waiting to put a few miles on her then it's back to the track. The iron housing is heavier, didn't bother weighing it, however it is in the rear so it shouldn't hurt performance.

IRS LIVES MATTER

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Iam finally going to rebuild my diff on my IRS going with a Trutrac and back to FRPP 3:55.

Does the True Trac require the Ford friction modifier, and what weight oil (75w 90 or 75w140) do you use with it?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Where would you get that support from? Is it a kit?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Google search..

this was a ford 8.8.. being put in 800hp bmw..

this would have to be adapted into is frame..

but sure looks like that would hold the rear half a lot firmer..

I would assume the bar we have now is cause of cover issue..

Users who are viewing this thread