How reliable are the SVT Foci?

wjk

Established Member
Just sold the Terminator to get something a little more economical and I was thinking an SVT Focus would be nice since it still has a sporty side to it and gets okay mileage. Certainly better then a Terminator though.

Are there any recurring problems or do they seem like they want to run forever? I'm looking at spending about $4k-8k on one and most likely it will be close to 100k miles. Is there anything I would need to look for while test driving one? Besides the obvious...

Do these use a timing chain or timing belt? If belt, when should they be replaced?

Lastly, should I get an SVT Focus or just buy a Toyota Yaris or something equivalent? Would you buy one all over again?

Thanks in advance! :beer:

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I've been considering one of these too. I may just get a zx3 5 spd, but a svt version would definatley be alot more fun. thinking about passing my 94 civic down to my son and getting one of these too.

I have heard some of the early ones had issues, especially when boosted. I dont plan to turbo or supercharge one if I get one though. Just leave it stock and drive it.

wjk

Established Member
I'm in the same boat. I just want something that gets around 25mpg and that I don't have to worry about. It will stay all stock as well. A regular Focus would be fine, but for just a little bit more it looks like I can step into an SVT Focus which will be more fun to drive. Even if I sacrifice a couple MPGs it will probably be worth it. I'm hoping to find a ZX5 though. Since it will be a daily driver 4 doors will come in handy!

flS/R

Established Member
if you get an SVTF plan on changing out the timing belt and pulleys regardless of what the PO says the last interval is*. This version of the ZETEC is an interference engine. The timing kit can be had for under $150. The only thing is that timing the ZETEC is tricky for some because of the VCT on the intake cam**. As long as TDC is correct and the cams are locked in place when setting the timing, it is an easy procedure which should take less than 2 hours.

what state is your OC? just in case you need someone to help that now how to do this

as far as reliability goes, I was driving a 98 zx2 which I purchased new in the summer of 97 until 2007. I had over 300k on it when I sold it and the only things it needed was an alternator, a CCRM and a clutch. The ZETEC is a good engine when it comes to reliability and economy. As I mentioned, the timing is the only thing that is tricky for some.

*this way you know when it was done and how long you can expect it to last
**other VCT ZETEC engines had the VCT on the exhaust cam

wjk

Established Member
I'm in Orange County, Ca.

I'm not surprised about the timing belt. I'd definitely have it replaced, just to be safe. My brother is a mechanic, so he should know how to change it safely. If not, I'd definitely let you know.

Thanks for the advice!

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
Your in Cali, if your close to them FocusSport (FSwerks) are one of the experts on the Foci.

and yes, the SVT focus is very reliable (dont listen to a certain nay-sayer, who needs to keep his candy ass out of the Focus section).

do your regular maintence (mainly: timing belt) and you should be fine.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Your in Cali, if your close to them FocusSport (FSwerks) are one of the experts on the Foci.

and yes, the SVT focus is very reliable (dont listen to a certain nay-sayer, who needs to keep his candy ass out of the Focus section).

do your regular maintence (mainly: timing belt) and you should be fine.

:lol: Some people's kids............I simply speak the truth of my own personal experience with this car. Some of you simply cannot handle the truth for some reason. Grow up son.

Anyways.. ..back to the OP and his questions. No I would not buy another SVTF. Mine has been nothing but problems from day 1. They have many, many common issues and I just happen to have one that has all of them. Mine range from loss of power brakes to the doors locking by themselves when the car is off. I will admit that it has never left me stranded. Stay away, stay far away. There are many better choices out there. We also own a 03 ZX3 that we bought new and that car has been problem free. I actually enjoy driving it more than the SVT and it doesn't get the attention of every ricer within a mile radius. There are many better options for a small, fun car.

Last edited:

a_15

Established Member
My 03 SVTF has almost 170,000 miles on it and it still gets 25mpg in the city. Just like any other car, keep up with the regular maintenance and get that timing belt done and it will live a long time.

One thing however to watch out for when buying an SVTF as with any performance car is look to see if it's been beat up in it's past. Oh and beware, with it being a specialty car, some parts are hard to find and expensive. But no more so than any other SVT.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
:lol: Some people's kids............I simply speak the truth of my own personal experience with this car. Some of you simply cannot handle the truth for some reason. Grow up son.

Anyways.. ..back to the OP and his questions. No I would not buy another SVTF. Mine has been nothing but problems from day 1. They have many, many common issues and I just happen to have one that has all of them. Mine range from loss of power brakes to the doors locking by themselves when the car is off. I will admit that it has never left me stranded. Stay away, stay far away. There are many better choices out there. We also own a 03 ZX3 that we bought new and that car has been problem free. I actually enjoy driving it more than the SVT and it doesn't get the attention of every ricer within a mile radius. There are many better options for a small, fun car.

Sorry but once again, You are wrong.

Just because YOU had a bad experience with YOUR car it doesn't make them all bad. :rollseyes

I've had my 2002 SVT since 2004 and it now has 112,000 year round daily driven miles on it and it's been a great little car.

The do require maintenance but that's to be expected, mine has NEVER ONCE broken down or left me stranded EVER in ANY weather conditions from minus 30 to 100 plus.

Buy the nicest one you can find and treat it right and it'll be a great car for you :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sapperstang

Established Member
Sorry but once again, You are wrong.

Just because YOU had a bad experience with YOUR car it doesn't make them all bad. :rollseyes

I've had my 2002 SVT since 2004 and it now has 112,000 year round daily driven miles on it and it's been a great little car.

The do require maintenance but that's to be expected, mine has NEVER ONCE broken down or left me stranded EVER in ANY weather conditions from minus 30 to 100 plus.

Buy the nicest one you can find and treat it right and it'll be a great car for you :thumbsup:

Well of course they're not all bad. :rollseyes Mine has never left me stranded or broken down either but it has/had numerous issues. I have every right to speak of my personal experience with this model of car regardless if you agree with it or not. I feel that potential owners should hear the bad as well. If you don't like it I am sure there is an ignore button around here someplace. :bored:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Well of course they're not all bad. :rollseyes Mine has never left me stranded or broken down either but it has/had numerous issues. I have every right to speak of my personal experience with this model of car regardless if you agree with it or not. I feel that potential owners should hear the bad as well. If you don't like it I am sure there is an ignore button around here someplace. :bored:

Right but you're consistently saying that people should stay away from the SVT Focus because they're all bad cars, which they obviously are not since others are in here defending it and they also seem to be quite happy with theirs.

You said it yourself in your first post in here "Stay away, stay far away".

I'd say that deserves a rebuttal which is what you got.

I'm also sure there's an ignore button around here somewhere but if I used it on you then I wouldn't know when you were in here badmouthing what is in all reality a very good little car. :thumbsup:

jvert

Established Member
I have an svt 5 door and love it. I get 31 mpg from mine. I say try to find the best shaped/well taken care svtf you can find and have fun!

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I had 2 svtf one modded to holy hell, the other mildly modded,
great cars, I would buy another if the right one came along.
Go for it, fun little cars.
Just steer clear of any 03 Infra red 3 door that have car fax showing registered in NC AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD :)

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Good and fun little car. I use to have one as a DD. The only complaint and recurring problem I had was, I replaced the Coolant housing 5 times. Seems to be a common problem.

mysteed

Established Member
Great little cars. The ones I see come through the shop are usually very well kept. If I ever end up retiring the BAB Cobra to weekend duty, a SVTF is what I'd replace it with.

Stevarino8

Established Member
SVTF is a good deal of fun sporting about town but they can act up. In very cold winter weather I have had a brake cable freeze up on me and caused other issues. So I was stranded once. I have had throw out bearing issues and CO2 sensor issues. The latter can get expensive to fix. Overall the drive train is pretty strong and the car is quite practical as a hatchback. Get one just CARFAX first!

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Its a pretty fun little car, had an 03 never had any problems but I sold that and pick up a 03 WRX and dont regret one thing. Its a 4 door sedan with a nice little turbo and handles great for my DD duties.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I had an 03 SVTF about 5 years ago. Was a great car, went through a clutch, but other than that. I'd love to get another one.

If the 04 GT I have goes to weekend duty I'd pick up another one.

ChargedFocus

Established Member
I just bought my 03 screaming yellow svtf 3 door. My question is would a supercharger affect the reliability or longevity of the engine at all? I bought it with a Jackson racing supercharger on it already. Also has methanol injection with a snow performance kit. Has 66.8k miles. Does anyone have any experience with these types of modifications?

Users who are viewing this thread