how off is the speedo with 4.10 gears? Whats stock?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
What is the stock gear ratio on the 97 Cobra? Mine has 4.10 gears and would like to know how off is the speedo, by a few mph or does it increase the faster I go, also, how bad does the 4.10 hurt my top end?

Helomech74

Established Member
Stock is 3.27, just get a Dallas Speed Cal and you can fix your speedo. If you plan on staying N/A I would look into 4.30's or 4.56's personally. 4.10 gears are perfect all around gears and most people would agree, these cars should have come from the factory with them.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
My car is not N/A, its supercharged, so 4.10 should be good then, I just to get an idea for now what the difference is, like when I'm going 50mph, what am I really doing?

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
My car is not N/A, its supercharged, so 4.10 should be good then, I just to get an idea for now what the difference is, like when I'm going 50mph, what am I really doing?

If your speedo says 50 it's probably more like 43. It's off by a good bit if you don't have it calibrated.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Assuming you have stock size tires, your speedometer will be off by 22.3%. When the speedo is reading 60 MPH, you will actually be going 49 MPH.

JaguarS4R

Established Member
ohh, I actually thought it was the other way around, like if the speedo says 50 that I'm doing 60, opps. Is 4.10 good application for a supercharged cobra?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I'd say if you are running a centrifugal blower, it's a good idea. With a twin screw, 4.10s may be too much, but I am not an expert...

JaguarS4R

Established Member
yes, I have a centrifugal setup, What would TOP END be on my COBRA given my 4.10 gears, I have a vortech blower

Users who are viewing this thread