How much power will the T56 hold?

AaronK

Established Member
I'm wondering how far I can push my t56. Of course I've seen people make 600-700whp with a t56, but is that just waiting to break? I plan on mainly having a stout street car with a few track runs every month.

I do have a few upgrades to my t56. Steel shift forks, billet keys, 26 spline input, fairly new synchros. Have not upgraded the gears. I've been looking into the 'magnum t56' but it might be a little while until i'm able to afford that, with everything else i'm doing to the car.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
You are good for the 600-700 range for awhile. The worst thing that could happen is you will strip the gear on the input and countershaft next or break the output.

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
It depends on how you drive the car. The set up you have now should be good for 600+ ft-lbs torque if you don't powershift 24/7.....

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Launch in 1st, push in clutch, make sure it's completely in the next gear, let out clutch. True Granny Shift to make sure it's completely in the next gear before letting the clutch out it should live for quite a while. Might be a little slower shifting but better than the other option. Don't grind at all!

I'd say mine has well over 100 powershifted passes at the strip with the Ported Eaton plus the 2.3 Whipple at 22lbs of boost and it still shifts like new. I don't grind though. Don't ask me how lol but I don't grind. If I was worried (and I used to be) I'd do what I said above.

AaronK

Established Member
I'm sure it will break at some point in the near future, just trying to guess how long it might last. I don't have the money to upgrade it right now with the other mods that I'm doing. About to order a spec stage 5 clutch too.

SeriousCobra

Established Member
i think its the tq the tranny can hold and not the hp correct?

how fast can you shift these tranny though? power shifting friendly?

AaronK

Established Member
i think its the tq the tranny can hold and not the hp correct?

how fast can you shift these tranny though? power shifting friendly?

You're correct, hp is a result of tq and my hp and tq will be very similar.

I personally don't powershift unless i'm on slicks.

Teej281

Established Member
hp/tq ratings are from the lowest gear. Youre more likely to break a trans in 1st or 2nd than 5th or 6th. And I would be careful with that spec stg 5 clutch.

SlowLNF

Established Member
I'm pushing 570whp/512tq on a bone stock T56 and it's holding strong. Stock clutch/flywheel too. I'm swapping the clutch/flywheel this winter though because the stock clutch isn't liking shifting above 6k with this power.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I'm pushing 570whp/512tq on a bone stock T56 and it's holding strong. Stock clutch/flywheel too. I'm swapping the clutch/flywheel this winter though because the stock clutch isn't liking shifting above 6k with this power.

Your trans is a ticking time bomb if you powershift it.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Your trans is a ticking time bomb if you powershift it.

Why do you say that? I'm surprised to see some of the responses in this thread. The T-56 is a stout trans and it will take some serious abuse...more than most people here will ever need. You can beat it like a red-headed step child with 700+rwhp and it'll take the abuse all day long. Upgrade the clutch and the input shaft and you're all set.

mineral154

whatever
Established Member
i would say tq. is the biggest threat. i have heard people not boosting in 5th and 6th due to those gears being overdrive only and thus weaker? idk i can give you an idea of what a stock t56 26 spline and a ram twin disk can get you. 750tq. at the wheel but you probably cant and wont drive around like that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Launch in 1st, push in clutch, make sure it's completely in the next gear, let out clutch. True Granny Shift to make sure it's completely in the next gear before letting the clutch out it should live for quite a while. Might be a little slower shifting but better than the other option. Don't grind at all!

I'd say mine has well over 100 powershifted passes at the strip with the Ported Eaton plus the 2.3 Whipple at 22lbs of boost and it still shifts like new. I don't grind though. Don't ask me how lol but I don't grind. If I was worried (and I used to be) I'd do what I said above.

That is actually good advice Brian. I believe the stock T-56 has a torque rating of 450. That's probably a bit on the cautionary side, but IMO if you're making more than 500 ft. lbs. of torque you should be a bit more careful with shifting. JMO.

AaronK

Established Member
hp/tq ratings are from the lowest gear. Youre more likely to break a trans in 1st or 2nd than 5th or 6th. And I would be careful with that spec stg 5 clutch.

What's wrong with the spec stage 5?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
A buddy of mine makes 640/630 and his is just fine. No powershifting though.

I powershift every single spirited drive I take and I have for 7 years. The T-56 is as stout as the stock '03 Cobra short block...and that's saying a lot.

Big_Daddy

Established Member
I have over 640 rwhp and over 550 ft lbs torque. Stock T56 for over 5 years and no problems. I wouldn't worry about it until I got over 600 ft lbs torque.

Users who are viewing this thread