How much power for a 4.6 2v?

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
if i were to supercharge a 2002 gt. how much power is the block rated for before you start doing some damage.

is 450-500 possible for these cars?

SVThink

I think 400-450rwhp is pushing it as far as the stock internals go. with a new bottom end I bet you can push further (I think AlmoGT had a stock block with Forged internals )

04blackSVT

Established Member
I had an 01 GT and I was gonna put a blower on it. Most the the performance shops said 380hp tops.

BOOSTED2V

Banned
385-400 max then you go boom like I did. Rods give away at 400 pistons like holes around there too.

myblownpiston.gif

Last edited:

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
i only asked b/c as of now i am buying a 2003 s/c saleen. and i wanted to put more power in it but i was just wondering how far i can go.

when u said " a new bottom end " what did you mean by that. i want this car to have more than 400 at the wheels

BOOSTED2V

Banned
deadlycobra03 said:
i only asked b/c as of now i am buying a 2003 s/c saleen. and i wanted to put more power in it but i was just wondering how far i can go.

when u said " a new bottom end " what did you mean by that. i want this car to have more than 400 at the wheels

Minimum of rods and pistons. Forged with 18cc dish pistons or so. You can use the factory GT crank but if you have the extra money you better step up to a Cobra crank.

Sure you can have more than 400hp but its not gonna last to long on a stock bottom end.

blownaltered

Established Member
I have mine tuned down I hit 420 at 5100 RPM and turn it down to 410 at 6000 RPM. I do have race tunes that I can run with torco to run up to 460 but only run those tunes for a night and turn it down. I run mine at all times at the first tune, runs strong and hard. If you don't have it tuned right you will put holes in pistons, that is from detination, not horsepower. I've seen burnt pistons from boost and hp but not holes. Go 400 to 425 and with a good tune will be fine.

ARIC7798

Established Member
i have a 2004 sc with around 410 and ive been fine so far but it all depends things can happen to anything at anytime

BLOWINBYU

Established Member
the blocks and cranks are good to at least 600 while the rods and pistons about 380 with a good tune. i am not saying you cant get more than 380 with stock internals, you are just taking a big risk. i have a 2000 gt with 19cc diamond pistons, manley rods, and a stock crank. i am pushing 530 to the wheels. hope this helps!

hardcore35th

Established Member
The block if preped properly will handle 1000+hp The stock crank will handle about 600hp, the stock rods and pistons are good for about 400 safely. With billit rods, and JE pistons, and a billit crank, with a prepped studded block the sky is the limit.

boostme

Established Member
Everyone says the shortblock can only handle x amount of hp. It's all in the tune for the most part without trying to be crazy. I've run 430+ at the rear for almost 4 years now with no problem. Murillo tuned my car and I'm sure there is a lot more in it, but that will wait for forged internals:-D .

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
boostme said:
Everyone says the shortblock can only handle x amount of hp. It's all in the tune for the most part without trying to be crazy. I've run 430+ at the rear for almost 4 years now with no problem. Murillo tuned my car and I'm sure there is a lot more in it, but that will wait for forged internals:-D .

Turbo power is easier on the engine then supercharged....

hardcore35th

Established Member
I went 10.60 @ 129 on my completely factory stock shortblock. As far as a stock block with forged internals there are cars running in the 7s with 5.4 blocks. Some in the 8s with 4.6s. In a 2V setup you will run out of head WAY before you run out of block.

procs2v

Established Member
hardcore35th said:
I went 10.60 @ 129 on my completely factory stock shortblock. As far as a stock block with forged internals there are cars running in the 7s with 5.4 blocks. Some in the 8s with 4.6s. In a 2V setup you will run out of head WAY before you run out of block.

what is your setup? thats moven for a 2valve.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
378rwhp for over a year with no problems so far. I'm getting a 75mm throttle body,90mm MAF and CAI which should put me over the 400rwhp mark. Like everyone says, if u have a good tune u should be fine up to 430rwhp for the stock internals. Keeping detonation at bay is the key.

hardcore35th

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread