How much power can the 6R80 hold?

nonliberal

Established Member
I just finished my build and had the car dynoed, it's making 870/815 at the wheels. I have a Circle D 2c converter but the rest of the tranny is stock. How much power can the 6R80 hold? If this is too much power for it? If so, what upgrades should I be looking at? I am not looking to go any higher on power and don't want to spend any unnecessary money.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
The question is not can the 6R80 hold it. The question is how long can it hold up. How often are you tracking the car?

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Completely depends on how you treat it. Is it going to make a ton of 1/4 mile passes on Slicks? Of is it 90% street car? IMO you should upgrade the Clutches.

Shaun@AED

1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears are in the large drum, 4th, 5th and 6th in the small drum. 1-2-3 can handle more than the others as they have more clutch surface area.

Actual power limit depends on weight of the vehicle as much as power and of course tuning.

nonliberal

Established Member
It's probably going to be around 75% street and 25% track. The car is a built engine, TVS, direct port nitrous on E85 tuned by Shaun.
The car weighs 3800 pounds with 200 pounds of that being my fat ass. Lol

Who is selling the clutch upgrades?

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
It's probably going to be around 75% street and 25% track. The car is a built engine, TVS, direct port nitrous on E85 tuned by Shaun.
The car weighs 3800 pounds with 200 pounds of that being my fat ass. Lol

Who is selling the clutch upgrades?

Pics? That thing must be an animal.

grnenvy

Established Member
I burned my trans up after 3 years it was a DD over 750rwhp/TQ but its the TQ that kills them. 3rd and 4th gear steels and clutches smoked but the trans took a beating. I'm running the stage 2 pack now. If your pulling it apart do the input shaft also.
Oh and stick with the Ford fluid.

grnenvy

Established Member
^^^^^^ I have the Amsoil in my car now and don't like it. If u talk to the guy that designed the stage 2 clutch pack for Exedy he doesn't either. I talked to him for a second time at Bradenton just a couple months ago and his thinking didn't change on it.
The viscosity is diff and the trans tends to have issue's shifting when your going really fast. Its fine in the 11sec and slower cars but controlling this trans when going really Fast is very tough. It's not the clutches that don't like the fluid its the orifices and solenoids in the Valve Body. I actually need to drain that fluid and put the Ford stuff back in just to lazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread