how much power can a stock 4v in a 97 cobra take?

silver93

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra 82,xxx orginal miles the motor is completely stock the car has a procharger on it with exhaust and 410 gears. the car is making 400rwhp at 7-8 pounds of boost and i have not had any trouble. im just curious how much power can the shortblock take and still be reliable.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Most people would say no more than 450.. for you though it's a higher mileage car so i would say 425.. my car held up 484rwhp on a mustang dyno for about 14k until it blew up.. it all depends on how u drive it and the tune that it has. I say keep it where it's at if you want it to last a good long time.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Most people would say no more than 450.. for you though it's a higher mileage car so i would say 425.. my car held up 484rwhp on a mustang dyno for about 14k until it blew up.. it all depends on how u drive it and the tune that it has. I say keep it where it's at if you want it to last a good long time.

+1 450rwhp is about the limit, after that you are igniting the time fuse to a block of C4, only you dont know how long you have till it blows. If you want your engine to last then keep it where it is. If you are looking to get faster but dont have the $$$ for a rebuild then its time to save for one, or start yanking out weight. For every 100 pound in weight you drop its like gaining 10rwhp.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
A motor can blow at any power level a good tune is the main key of keeping it alive. Many limit these bottom ends at 450hp. Yet i have a friend who is making 480hp with his 97 cobra for about 2 years now and man. Well over 25k miles on setup and gives it hell all the time. Call him lucky probably but a tune and your driving habits to me are the main factors of keeping your car alive.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
+1 to what is being said in here. time to look at a new motor..i would suggest a stock 03 cobra motor dropout and sell yours while its still worth some money.

61mmstang94

Established Member
+1 to what is being said in here. time to look at a new motor..i would suggest a stock 03 cobra motor dropout and sell yours while its still worth some money.

It would probably be better for him to just have a nice rotating assembly put in his current block. Atleast that's what I'd do.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yes buy a nice rotating assembly or just rods, pistons, and bearings, and you'll be good to go..

silver93

Established Member
thanks for all the in put guys. i drive the car daily so i will leave it along so it will last. the car ran 12.6 at 109mph so i guess thats not to bad out of a stock motor and a fully dressed car. im new to the mod world and these motor limits. im old school all i have ever mess with was windsor motor and fox bodys.

Users who are viewing this thread