How much money to do turbo

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Rather have a FF kit than a hellion kit any day of the week. CG makes you delete the swaybar. Not many more options other than that. Plenty of guys are happy with the newer kits

I am not entirely sure where you got your information from, but my swaybar is most definitely on my car, and I have a CG fab hotside.

Good day sir, good day.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Never said the on3 was top of the line, but the some of the other components I have are close.

Ohh thats weird, because you actually did say the ON3 kit was top of the line. Let me quote what you said......

That includes all top of the line parts like on3 FF stainless steel turbo kit, turbonetics ball bearing 76mm, tial wastegates and blow off valve, eboost2, full Maximum motorsports front suspension, lethal return style fuel system, rxt clutch etc.

Exactly my point. I don't claim to have the nicest parts because I am a college student who can only afford so much. You may not have the best parts in the world, but the point is that going turbo isn't ALWAYS going to cost $10k-$20k right off the bat like many people on here will have you believe.

I'm sure you have too. I answered the OP's questions which was how much the average person has into their turbo setup. As far as I am concerned, the "average" turbo setup around here is not a custom built all stainless twin kit with precision turbos and all top of the line parts.

Can you easily have $20-30k in a turbo build? Sure, if you include the 3 t56's you blew up, the motor you blew up and had to have rebuilt, labor and supporting mods. But is it also possible to have a budget kit like mine or hellion that isn't perfect but makes big numbers just like the rest? Take a look around, you will find plenty. I know on3 isn't perfect, but every time I have had a problem or was missing a part I called Adam at on3 and he was incredibly polite, helpful and shipped anything that was missing to me the same day.

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, all I was trying to say was building a decent budget kit can, and has, be done.

Wait, again. You stated you do not claim to have the nicest parts. But you did say you have all top of the line parts. Are you that delusional??

Who said anything about 20-30k in a turbo build?? LOL and who said anything about including 3 T56s, blowing up a motor, labor for said blown motor etc? Where are you pulling this stuff from?

You need to get your head out of your ass man. You are just spitting out nonsense now.

Can you build a kit on a budget like you did? Sure. But you are sacraficing, reliability, quality and longevity for price. You get what you pay for. So I guess that goes to the next question for the OP. DO you want budget kit that is going to rust, warp and have issues down the road but cost less? Or do you want a nice stainless built right fits right kit like a Hellion system for more $$?

Sure you can do it for under 10k if you buy all used stuff and garbage parts like an On3 setup

Go price out a Hellion Single kit with suspension. Price out an Eboost 2. A Cobra upper/lower intake or Sullivan/HPP setup. Add on an alternator and the other misc things you need, cables brackets etc. You will be getting very close to the 10k price if you bought the turbo kit new. If you bought a used one, then yes it would be lower.

I will say it one more time. If you want to buy/build a Turbo kit CORRECTLY, with reliability, great fitment. Its going to cost around 10k. This is BEFORE selling off a KB etc, the intake and all that stuff.

Last edited:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I want to know how some of yall sold yoru stock eaton stuff in a swap for over 2K...I missed that boat :( I haven't sold my blower yet and still have a few odds and ends left, but I think I might have made 800 bucks total thus far selling parts here and there.

MTBSully

Established Member
I am not entirely sure where you got your information from, but my swaybar is most definitely on my car, and I have a CG fab hotside.

Good day sir, good day.

Well **** me then right? I was told you needed to delete it but i'm just a big dumb idiot who doesn't know anything anyways so don't mind me.

Good day to you as well.

Ohh thats weird, because you actually did say the ON3 kit was top of the line. Let me quote what you said......

Wait, again. You stated you do not claim to have the nicest parts. But you did say you have all top of the line parts. Are you that delusional??

Who said anything about 20-30k in a turbo build?? LOL and who said anything about including 3 T56s, blowing up a motor, labor for said blown motor etc? Where are you pulling this stuff from?

You need to get your head out of your ass man. You are just spitting out nonsense now.

Can you build a kit on a budget like you did? Sure. But you are sacraficing, reliability, quality and longevity for price. You get what you pay for. So I guess that goes to the next question for the OP. DO you want budget kit that is going to rust, warp and have issues down the road but cost less? Or do you want a nice stainless built right fits right kit like a Hellion system for more $$?

Sure you can do it for under 10k if you buy all used stuff and garbage parts like an On3 setup

Go price out a Hellion Single kit with suspension. Price out an Eboost 2. A Cobra upper/lower intake or Sullivan/HPP setup. Add on an alternator and the other misc things you need, cables brackets etc. You will be getting very close to the 10k price if you bought the turbo kit new. If you bought a used one, then yes it would be lower.

I will say it one more time. If you want to buy/build a Turbo kit CORRECTLY, with reliability, great fitment. Its going to cost around 10k. This is BEFORE selling off a KB etc, the intake and all that stuff.

Ok guy, I'll go out and buy a CG Fab hotside, and i'll still have a fully tubular MM front suspension, tial wastegates, tial blow off valve, lethal return system, 76mm ball bearing turbo, complete coldside with 4" intercooler, BA5000, eboost2, and complete 99-01 intake setup. BEFORE selling the eaton stuff, i'll STILL be around $6k in parts. Hell, i'll even sell the on3 hotside to some chump like me in the parts section to recoup some of my cost.

But those are all junk parts listed above right?

Wasn't trying to get your pannies all in a wad, and forgive me for calling my on3 stuff top of the line, It was probably late and I was probably drunk. I know it isn't the greatest, but a lot of the parts in my build are, and I am FAR below $10k.

Point I was trying to make for the OP is that IF you take your time and really shop around, you can build a decent turbo setup for far under $10k. Thats it. Sorry for using on3 as an example since clearly not a lot of people are fans.

Again to the OP, take your time and shop around for good deals on quality parts, and you can do it for less than you think.:beer:

I want to know how some of yall sold yoru stock eaton stuff in a swap for over 2K...I missed that boat :( I haven't sold my blower yet and still have a few odds and ends left, but I think I might have made 800 bucks total thus far selling parts here and there.

People are willing to pay for the complete swap. Check out my build thread, I went through the trouble of swapping to a 99-01 timing cover so i could sell mine as a complete swap. Guy paid my asking price of $3300 no questions asked since he was tired of shopping around piecing kits together.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Heck, I have 3200 in my turbos alone :) But I wanted decent turbos. I guess I'm the odd man out, lol.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Well I already had every supporting mod to go turbo Return fuel, clutch etc. I bought a used hellion kit off of a member here for 3400.00, sold my whipple and all supporting mods for 3250.00 bought a K member used for 450.00 and spent about 2000.00 on misc parts. Installed everything and was off to the races. Then my trans went and that was 4500.00 bucks for a new magnum, sfi scatter shield and shortened drive shaft. So initially it was cheap, its keeping it running that is going to cost you. I know my motor will not last for ever and thats going to be a big expense. So sure I did as cheap as possible but now the car makes wicked power and with more power more maintenance.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
You know the old saying:
If it's cheap and reliable, it's not fast
If it's cheap and fast, it's not reliable
If it's reliable and fast, it's not cheap

Much truth to this with my car.....

04cobrawhine

Established Member
I have $39k into mine not including the car lol. That includes the motor build, trans build, fuel system ($1200 Weldon pump) ect. It's the HPP kit

testorossa1989

Established Member
Im in my build about 10k and i went with a upgraded twin screw to budget myself from a turbo. Good laugh on my part

JohnnyRocket4v

Established Member
Iv used on3 for there hotside and cold side and it worked great I was very impressed.. I'm gonna start on my kit next year.. Just buy some piping and bust out the tig welder!

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
the price varies on what you wanna do, quality of parts, engine, fuel, trans and other supporting mods.

on the low probably 5k

on the high side $25-30k

I personally went all out and have spent $28k on mine. but I did sell 12.5k worth of stuff off my car also.

I did a brand new 5.3L stroker build from the ground up, hellion turbo with 76mm precision dual ball bearing billet wheel, ceramic coated the turbo and had a snell polished, complete return fuel system sump tank and ptfe fuel line. 26 spline t56 upgrade, full road race suspension all from maximum motorsports, sra with 31 spline trac lock and moser 31 spline axles, went 3 link with a pan hard bar and torque arm, coil overs in front with tube k-member and a-arms full length sub fram connectors, koni struts, ect.... you get the idea

Users who are viewing this thread