How much money to do turbo

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
i just went from a eaton to a hellion set up. I had about 10 grand in it by the time it was all said and done. I did a lot though. I went with a 26 spline clutch, input shaft, fly wheel. glenns sump return style fuel system. some suspension parts and the turbo kit. you can sell your current set up to get some of the money back.

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
I am around $6000 out of pocket after selling my eaton swap for $2400. I bargain shopped and picked up a used Hellion hot & cold side. The whole install was done by me so that's just parts no labor. I couldn't imagine paying anyone to do the install, plus do it yourself you fix it yourself.

mach1033

Established Member
Easy 10k son. And if your paying someone to do the labor make sure it is a reputable shop and not some fly by night joker. Also plan on your car to be down for a while. You can recoup some of the money when you sell things like the front accessory drive, lower intake and KB SC.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
i miss the sound of the blower but love the turbo power. I wanted something different. Everybody slaps a twin screw on these cars. The power is not the same. Instead of melting the tires from a stop light like a twin screw, the turbo hits harder in the upper rpms. Will break loose at higher speeds. scary till you get use to the cars power.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Depending what supporting mods you have, I would plan on spending a minimum of $10k. If you do not have supporting mods, it will get higher.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I have 4500 tops in my setup. All top of the line parts. Sold my eaton swap for 2800. I did all the work and had a buddy weld what little was needed on the cold side. Now I already had a cobra tank/BAP. Stock front susp with open down pipe for now so add another 1000ish$ for k memeber and to run finish exhaust.

MTBSully

Established Member
I have 4500 tops in my setup. All top of the line parts. Sold my eaton swap for 2800. I did all the work and had a buddy weld what little was needed on the cold side. Now I already had a cobra tank/BAP. Stock front susp with open down pipe for now so add another 1000ish$ for k memeber and to run finish exhaust.

I am even below that (kind of). Sold my eaton swap for $3300, flipped a mustang gt in 4 days for $2000 profit. Scowered everywhere for good deals on parts, and I am just about breaking even ($5300) on my build. Just have to buy a 26 spline input shaft. That includes all top of the line parts like on3 FF stainless steel turbo kit, turbonetics ball bearing 76mm, tial wastegates and blow off valve, eboost2, full Maximum motorsports front suspension, lethal return style fuel system, rxt clutch etc.

It can be done, you just might have to take a little time to find the good deals.:beer:

Fat-cat

Established Member
I am even below that (kind of). Sold my eaton swap for $3300, flipped a mustang gt in 4 days for $2000 profit. Scowered everywhere for good deals on parts, and I am just about breaking even ($5300) on my build. Just have to buy a 26 spline input shaft. That includes all top of the line parts like on3 FF stainless steel turbo kit, turbonetics ball bearing 76mm, tial wastegates and blow off valve, eboost2, full Maximum motorsports front suspension, lethal return style fuel system, rxt clutch etc.

It can be done, you just might have to take a little time to find the good deals.:beer:

0n3 and top of the line do not go in the same sentence FYI lol

Cost me 4 grand to go from my Whipple to Turbo / Auto / Built motor. Sold my car and bought another haha

static74

in the 9's
Established Member

:lol: Ain't that the truth!

I probably have 15-20k in mine, front to back, built trans etc. Sure some of the kits are cheap, its the little stuff and supporting mods that will keep you up at night. Not to mention spending money on a good tune.

MTBSully

Established Member

Cost me 4 grand to go from my Whipple to Turbo / Auto / Built motor. Sold my car and bought another haha

:lol: Ain't that the truth!

I probably have 15-20k in mine, front to back, built trans etc. Sure some of the kits are cheap, its the little stuff and supporting mods that will keep you up at night. Not to mention spending money on a good tune.

Rather have a FF kit than a hellion kit any day of the week. CG makes you delete the swaybar. Not many more options other than that. Plenty of guys are happy with the newer kits

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

If you consider On3 top of the line then you have issues. I would not consider a $900 Basic Turbonetics 76mm top of the line either. Anyhow seems like you did a good cheap build, which there is nothing wrong with that. But my 10k+ price was not including, "flipping cars" selling off old parts, working 2 jobs etc etc. and that is for a well built reliable kit. Upfront cost for a GOOD system, plus intake, alternator, boost controller, fuel system, suspension, etc is going to cost you 10k. On3, I would not be considering that at all. A Hellion single is a good starting point but IMO it needs some changes, but its a good start. The HPP twins is a nice setup. The HP twins are ehhh. The TT Hellion kit is good as well just needs a few changes also

Now if we talk a custom kit that is built/welded correctly with top of the line parts by a reputable shop I bet would cost $4-5k just to build, plus price of the turbo and other parts, K member and all the bells and whistles.

Can you do it for $4000k. Well maybe, but we aren't counting selling off an extra child we dont need and what not.......

MTBSully

Established Member
If you consider On3 top of the line then you have issues. I would not consider a $900 Basic Turbonetics 76mm top of the line either. Anyhow seems like you did a good cheap build, which there is nothing wrong with that. But my 10k+ price was not including, "flipping cars" selling off old parts, working 2 jobs etc etc. and that is for a well built reliable kit. Upfront cost for a GOOD system, plus intake, alternator, boost controller, fuel system, suspension, etc is going to cost you 10k. On3, I would not be considering that at all. A Hellion single is a good starting point but IMO it needs some changes, but its a good start. The HPP twins is a nice setup. The HP twins are ehhh. The TT Hellion kit is good as well just needs a few changes also

Now if we talk a custom kit that is built/welded correctly with top of the line parts by a reputable shop I bet would cost $4-5k just to build, plus price of the turbo and other parts, K member and all the bells and whistles.

Can you do it for $4000k. Well maybe, but we aren't counting selling off an extra child we dont need and what not.......

Haters gonna hate

itSSlow98

Established Member
Top of the line On3 Performance....lmao. Man that made my day. I have a hellion single kit and even that isnt the best because you still need to convert it to a blow through maf.

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I used a cg fab hotside, turbonetics turbo and pieced together everything else. Between buying parts, trading parts for building pipes, trading blower parts for 01 cobra parts, and selling my whipple and other parts, I barely have about $3k out of pocket. And that includes $1800 i had to spend for a ported sullivan and a canton oil pan. but i sold $900 worth of ported 01 intake/tb/fuel parts to offset some of the cost.

Still have the tune to go and eventually Ill spend a few hundred and redo the cooling system to make it alot cleaner. I also need to make an lines for my oil filter relocate and ditch the rubber lines. All in all I figure another $1k to finish everything.

not terrible, but alot of work if you do it yourself.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Haters gonna hate

Lol WOW! Nice response!

First off I was not hating. I was stating FACTS. I actually commended you on building your kit on a cheap budget. However just stating that the parts you used are not top of the line. That is not hating buddy. That is stating facts. On3 parts are crap. Good luck when all that piping warps, rusts, leaks and rots out lol. I am trying to be realistic to the OP on quoting what it really costs to do a turbo system right. Not some hacked up half performing piece of garbage kit. We aren't taking into account "flipping cars" to offset the cost! :burn:

I guarantee I have built more and have much more experience with all of these kits then you do. I am not basing my info off of stuff I read on the forums. Basing it off of real life experience since I work on these cars everyday. Trust me, I have nothing to HATE on with your on3 kit lol :rolleyes:

MTBSully

Established Member
Top of the line On3 Performance....lmao. Man that made my day. I have a hellion single kit and even that isnt the best because you still need to convert it to a blow through maf.

Never said the on3 was top of the line, but the some of the other components I have are close.

I used a cg fab hotside, turbonetics turbo and pieced together everything else. Between buying parts, trading parts for building pipes, trading blower parts for 01 cobra parts, and selling my whipple and other parts, I barely have about $3k out of pocket. And that includes $1800 i had to spend for a ported sullivan and a canton oil pan. but i sold $900 worth of ported 01 intake/tb/fuel parts to offset some of the cost.

Still have the tune to go and eventually Ill spend a few hundred and redo the cooling system to make it alot cleaner. I also need to make an lines for my oil filter relocate and ditch the rubber lines. All in all I figure another $1k to finish everything.

not terrible, but alot of work if you do it yourself.

Exactly my point. I don't claim to have the nicest parts because I am a college student who can only afford so much. You may not have the best parts in the world, but the point is that going turbo isn't ALWAYS going to cost $10k-$20k right off the bat like many people on here will have you believe.

Lol WOW! Nice response!

First off I was not hating. I was stating FACTS. I actually commended you on building your kit on a cheap budget. However just stating that the parts you used are not top of the line. That is not hating buddy. That is stating facts. On3 parts are crap. Good luck when all that piping warps, rusts, leaks and rots out lol. I am trying to be realistic to the OP on quoting what it really costs to do a turbo system right. Not some hacked up half performing piece of garbage kit. We aren't taking into account "flipping cars" to offset the cost! :burn:

I guarantee I have built more and have much more experience with all of these kits then you do. I am not basing my info off of stuff I read on the forums. Basing it off of real life experience since I work on these cars everyday. Trust me, I have nothing to HATE on with your on3 kit lol :rolleyes:

I'm sure you have too. I answered the OP's questions which was how much the average person has into their turbo setup. As far as I am concerned, the "average" turbo setup around here is not a custom built all stainless twin kit with precision turbos and all top of the line parts.

Can you easily have $20-30k in a turbo build? Sure, if you include the 3 t56's you blew up, the motor you blew up and had to have rebuilt, labor and supporting mods. But is it also possible to have a budget kit like mine or hellion that isn't perfect but makes big numbers just like the rest? Take a look around, you will find plenty. I know on3 isn't perfect, but every time I have had a problem or was missing a part I called Adam at on3 and he was incredibly polite, helpful and shipped anything that was missing to me the same day.

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, all I was trying to say was building a decent budget kit can, and has, be done.

Users who are viewing this thread