How much longer until we're a cashless society...redesigned bills not accepted...

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I ditched plastic back in 2000.

Had been hacked, and had to go through the b.s. to stop payments, refund my nsf fees etc.

The biggest problem I run into , is cashier's that don't know how to count change without the register telling them .

I also believe the government , nor anyone else needs to know where I go , or what I purchase.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
It would take some kind of virus to shut down the network and boom no access to teh moniez.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Because Newton, Iowa.

You might be right. Haha

Isn't refusing to accept legal tender against federal law?

The law is actually kind of interesting, because there's no law that explicitly details what forms of payment businesses accept; however, all US currency is also considered to be legal tender for all debts public or private. I've heard some people argue that that if you owe someone money for services already rendered, they would have to accept cash, but I highly doubt that true either. All in all, if the bueiness wants to accept cash or not, credit card or not, or trade goods for rare earth metals is completely up to them, but those decisions will affect their business.

It really wasn't a big deal in this case, just thought it was interesting. I've never seen them mark a $20 there, so you'd think if they were really worried about counterfeiting that'd be the bill they'd be most concerned about now.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
I have seen more new counterfeit hundreds since their inception than all other bills combined. These things are so easily counterfeited its comical.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like you're right: http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Weird, I always thought it to be federal law!

Me too but I recently read an article about a guy who tried to pay a few parking tickets with pennies and the county ended up rejecting it and they went to court. That still baffles me that they have the right to refuse currency minted or printed by the Government at their own discretion. You would think they could easily take whatever currency to the bank and deposit it all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread