how much hp does 1lb of boost add?

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
Taz said:
So, Travis, presuming your other bolt-ons brought you up to about 300 RWHP N/A, then that's almost exactly ... 7% per psi boost.

:eek:

Presuming a baseline of exactly 300 HP N/A, then exactly 7% per psi would have been ...

300 * (1+(0.07*12)) = 552

Imagine that.
:rolleyes:

T-

You are right on the money.

Back when I was at 10 psi my car made around 513rwhp.

All motor the car sat around 302 rwhp.

:beer:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Taz said:
So, Travis, presuming your other bolt-ons brought you up to about 300 RWHP N/A, then that's almost exactly ... 7% per psi boost.

Presuming a baseline of exactly 300 HP N/A, then exactly 7% per psi would have been ...

300 * (1+(0.07*12)) = 552

Imagine that.

T-
was that a sarcastic answer?
from you I would expect more.

Taz

Established Member
STOKED said:
You are right on the money.

Back when I was at 10 psi my car made around 513rwhp.

All motor the car sat around 302 rwhp.

Thanks, man.

Like I said way back when, I didn't come up with it - just adopted it after I realized that it seemed to work.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Taz said:

Travis! I was jus kidding. Where's the love, Bro??
:-D

T-
I was too bro..LOL
I didnt add a smilie and I should have, but ass is more of a jokingly but true statement :banana:

now if I said ass-hole then I would be calling you names. :D

Taz

Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
I was too bro..LOL
I didnt add a smilie and I should have, but ass is more of a jokingly but true statement :banana:

now if I said ass-hole then I would be calling you names. :D

Hahahaha!

:thumbsup:

Taz

Established Member
chevysRslow said:
7% is too high. Will be closer to 4.7%.

Go to THIS PAGE and read the "How It Works" section below the HP calculator.

If you actually bother to LOOK, you can find many references to the 7% rule of thumb, but this one gives you a handy HP calculator in addition to a good explanation regarding why 7% works as a good rough estimate.

T-

chevysRslow

Established Member
If you'd bother to read... you'd understand why it isn't 7%. From YOUR reference:

"Under ideal conditions, you can expect to burn 6.802% more fuel and air per pound of boost. This is the starting point for this calculator, however, as boost rises above 5psi, other inefficiencies kick in, so gains above 5psi become progessively less effective in making more power".

==> pretend it is 7% but it will really be more like 4.7%

Taz

Established Member
chevysRslow said:
If you'd bother to read... you'd understand why it isn't 7%. From YOUR reference:

"Under ideal conditions, you can expect to burn 6.802% more fuel and air per pound of boost. This is the starting point for this calculator, however, as boost rises above 5psi, other inefficiencies kick in, so gains above 5psi become progessively less effective in making more power".

==> pretend it is 7% but it will really be more like 4.7%

Please, try not to be a COMPLETE asshole.

I provided you with a link to a web page containing an explanation of why the 7% per psi estimate is used. The text says ...

A rough starting estimate to calculate HP gain is to take boost (say 5psi) and multiply it by 7% (a constant) to get your approximate power gain (in our example 35%).

That's the 7% Rule of Thumb. If you don't like it, DON'T USE IT, Numbnuts!
:mj:

T-

Taz

Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
mine before the blower 300rwhp +/- 1-2
mine after the blower @ 12.3 psi 548.8 rwhp
someone do the math on that

Travis,

Using 7%/psi, I get a rough estimate of 558 HP at your boost level. If I use the more accurate 6.8%/psi, I come up with approx. 551 HP, which is almost exactly where you're at.

But lately, it seems that NOBODY gives a shit about actually looking at any empirical data. They just want to argue for the sake of it.

Seems to me that some people around here can post the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever read in my life and NEVER be questioned about what they've said, but I get my ass jumped for everything I say. I've got to provide proof, evidence, blood samples, etc. And I STILL have nimrods giving me shit about it.

I've just about had it with this board. I really don't need it. If people want to wallow in their freakin' ignorance and misinformation, then let 'em.

T-

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
Taz said:
Seems to me that some people around here can post the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever read in my life and NEVER be questioned about what they've said, but I get my ass jumped for everything I say. I've got to provide proof, evidence, blood samples, etc. And I STILL have nimrods giving me shit about it.

I've just about had it with this board. I really don't need it. If people want to wallow in their freakin' ignorance and misinformation, then let 'em.

T-

You too? I am on the same page as you are. This board has some people that give out some pretty darn awful tech and people who don't know any better will listen to them and then spread the word.

Some of the tech here is just too funny and I can't believe people don't know any better or where they heard/learned it from. :burn: :poke:

Take this thread for example!!! :lol: :lol:

Ahhh well, Taz, would you like to buy some blinker fluid and muffler bearings? I'll cut you a sweat deal! :rolling: :D :pepper: :banana:

Taz

Established Member
STOKED said:
You too? I am on the same page as you are. This board has some people that give out some pretty darn awful tech and people who don't know any better will listen to them and then spread the word.

Some of the tech here is just too funny and I can't believe people don't know any better or where they heard/learned it from. :burn: :poke:

Take this thread for example!!! :lol: :lol:

Ahhh well, Taz, would you like to buy some blinker fluid and muffler bearings? I'll cut you a sweat deal! :rolling: :D :pepper: :banana:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that's noticed.

I'll pass on the blinker fluid, but I've been thinking of maybe a couple sets of chrome muffler bearings.

How about putting together a GP? I'll bet you'd get lots of folks around here to jump in if the price is right.

:lol1:

T-

hatsharpener

Established Member
Taz said:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that's noticed.
I'll pass on the blinker fluid, but I've been thinking of maybe a couple sets of chrome muffler bearings.
Don't say that; I just picked up a set of SS bearings. I wanted the chrome ones but they were waaay to pricey. That and all the extra chrome plating would just slow me down.

chevysRslow

Established Member
Hey Taz - Maybe people like to argue with you because you start calling them "numbnuts" and "asshole" if they happen to disagree.

How about if you stick to the debate and leave out the 2nd grade insults??

Please, try not to be a COMPLETE asshole.

That's the 7% Rule of Thumb. If you don't like it, DON'T USE IT, Numbnuts!

Taz

Established Member
chevysRslow said:
Hey Taz - Maybe people like to argue with you because you start calling them "numbnuts" and "asshole" if they happen to disagree.

How about if you stick to the debate and leave out the 2nd grade insults??

Well, if the shoe fits ...

:loser:

Users who are viewing this thread