How much for an engine and trans swap???

Flavio85

Established Member
Ok this is the deal... Ive been thinking of selling my 99 cobra and getting a low mile terminator... Ppl tell me to just supercharge my cobra but I dont know... It already has 76,xxx miles but on the other hand I al ready have a bunch of mods. But then My friend up in NY has a brand new crate 2001 cobra engine and trans from Ford racing that he would sell me for a very good price, I gotta be crazy not to jump on this deal. So now Im thinking how much I should except for the engine and trans swap??? While Im at it i wanna do the headers too... How much you guys think it will cost??? and do you guys think I should upgrade anything else??? i will prob do the clutch too since I plan on getting a sc...

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Why buy a stock crate 2001 cobra engine with the same shitty internals that your car already has? Pull your engine, have it rebuilt with forged rods/pistons and slap a blower on it. Problem solved.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
Why buy a stock crate 2001 cobra engine with the same shitty internals that your car already has? Pull your engine, have it rebuilt with forged rods/pistons and slap a blower on it. Problem solved.

x1000

You will be in the same boat your in now in few years..if you still have your car. If not, you will sell it for no more than you would having not done the swap. :bash:

zPipes

Established Member
For those of you who have done this, mind if I ask what kind of price range your lookin at to rebuild with forged? I had to buy a crate 01 a couple years back cost me 3 grand i believe.
guy i got it from i guess was an ex long time employee at ford it came to like 2800 and change.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
A shortblock from Modular Performance is $3300. That is from one of the top mod motor gurus in the US.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
are you able to do much work yourself? You CAN find deals on well built shortblocks if you are patient. Heads as well. I got a set of 04 mach 1 heads and cams (same heads/cams as 04 cobra) for $400 here locally. They had 6k on them when i bought them. Just be patient and keep your eyes open. But putting together a muscle car is NOT something you wanna go cheap on either..you get what you pay for. Search classifieds here and other forums.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
My forged rebuild cost me $4500 and some change plus the $700 for the Mahle Forged Pistons.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
are you able to do much work yourself? You CAN find deals on well built shortblocks if you are patient. Heads as well. I got a set of 04 mach 1 heads and cams (same heads/cams as 04 cobra) for $400 here locally. They had 6k on them when i bought them. Just be patient and keep your eyes open. But putting together a muscle car is NOT something you wanna go cheap on either..you get what you pay for. Search classifieds here and other forums.

excellent advice! I have always preached this and I have done a rather poor job of following it lately and its lead to a huge pain in the ass. Be a little patient save money pick up do deals on the heads, cams, rods, maybe even pistons and if your really savvy a complete blower kit

Users who are viewing this thread