How much fluid for a FULL brake and clutch bleed?

Fun4me

Established Member
How much fluid for a FULL brake and clutch bleed? Any tips? What about actuating the ABS to get the air out?

Thanks in advance.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
you going deep while road racing?
curious on how much difference vs cost/time it will actually make.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Did a full amsoil swap with my car and it didn't even take 2 bottles. Forget the size of the bottles. If you want a real 100% flush you have to take off the brake lines from the calipers to drain the calipers out too. And it's easier to just unhook the clutch line and drain it that way. Haven't felt a difference but to me it's just piece of mind.

Grant808

Established Member
You should be good with two small (~pint?) bottles, but I'd keep a 3rd on hand just in case.

If you want to do the ABS, I think you either need to go to the dealer or activate the ABS by braking hard enough and bleeding again.

Fun4me

Established Member
You should be good with two small (~pint?) bottles, but I'd keep a 3rd on hand just in case.

If you want to do the ABS, I think you either need to go to the dealer or activate the ABS by braking hard enough and bleeding again.
Did you flush your Boss?

grnenvy

Established Member
I would never drain the system completely its a pain in the ass plus its not needed. Just gravity bleed the system starting in the back. Gravity bleeding insures u have zero problems aspecially if your new at it. Also never let the brake reservoir run dry.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I used a qt of napa dot 4 and just did the ghey turkey baster method until the fluid looked clean. stock fluid at ~5k miles was nasty looking.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I just took my car to the dealer to have it pressure bled.....we did the manual gravity bleed after the StopTech install and the pedal felt funny. It did not engage the pads/rotors until about 50% then it grabbed hard. I did a few ABS stops and re bled teh brakes and it got a tad bit better but still not right.

SO, off to the dealer it went for the pressure bleeding.

Fluid: Motorcraft Dot3 is actually better than others for dry boiling point (500*)
however the wet boiling point is pretty low (284*)

Most people go with DOT4 which ranges from 500*-588* dry and 311*-388* wet.
Ford can get away with having a lower wet boiling point cause they do the pressure bleeding to ensure there is no air in the lines which causes moisture....more moisture the higher you will need the wet boiling point!

Another cause for moisture in the system is by leaving the master cyl cap off for any amount of time and also leaving the fluid bottle open. Remember to ALWAYS throw out any access fluid after you fill your system. Never use the left over after any period of time.

Last edited:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just took my car to the dealer to have it pressure bled.....we did the manual gravity bleed after the StopTech install and the pedal felt funny. It did not engage the pads/rotors until about 50% then it grabbed hard. I did a few ABS stops and re bled teh brakes and it got a tad bit better but still not right.

Fluid: Motorcraft Dot3 is actually better than others for dry boiling point (500*)

Ford can get away with having a lower wet boiling point cause they do the pressure bleeding to ensure there is no air in the lines which causes moisture....more moisture the higher you will need the wet boiling point!

Another cause for moisture in the system is by leaving the master cyl cap off for any amount of time and also leaving the fluid bottle open. Remember to ALWAYS throw out any access fluid after you fill your system. Never use the left over after any period of time.

Never heard of throwing the left over away. I currently have left over dot4 in my brakes now, after doing the clutch line and dot4 change. Is it worth buying a few pints and gravity bleeding it out?

Nuar

Established Member
one of the brake fluid properties is to pull away and trap moisture... if you have a bottle that was opened previoulsy there was moisture introduced to the fluid from the air... soooooo yeah, dont use fluid that you had laying around for a while.

Fun4me

Established Member

How long did it take them and how much did they charge you? Did they have to activate the ABS? How do the brakes feel?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread