How much does a new tune run you???

N A Rush

Established Member
I was just watching Horsepower TV this morning, where the host of the show stated it cost him almost $1K for dyno time and a new tune.

I thought this was high and wanted to see how much it would run me once I start modding this summer.

Pewter99TransAm

Mine ended up costing roughly a grand, but that is factoring in the cost of the tuner, and having it "dyno tuned" perfectly on the spot at Amazon by Rick. Was about 800 bucks but money well spent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
The handheld cost 380 and I have paid from 450-500 for a dyno tune on top of the price of the handheld.

Wayne

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I was just watching Horsepower TV this morning, where the host of the show stated it cost him almost $1K for dyno time and a new tune.

I thought this was high and wanted to see how much it would run me once I start modding this summer.

it would depend on what you need...do you have a programmer already or will you need one?

we can provide a life time revision tune with the sale of a tuner($399) or a tune if you already have a programmer($175) you can do datalogging with your programmer and send them to Rick for optimal tuning as long as you have a wide band to read the AF

all his tunes have been dyno developed and street and track tested with many years of tuning expereience and knowledge

actual dyno tuning will depend on whose shop you use.. pricing will be variable and contacting the shops will give you the price range you need to know

ViciousJay

Established Member
wow you guys are paying that much? mannnn id go to amazon, jj, jdm and jsut get a mail order tune and check the a/f at a local dyno... you guys are getting robbed sky high

anyhting more then 300 would czuse me to laugh in their face, to make a few pulls and to make a few adjustments is nuts to charge 400+

Last edited:

LSUstang05

Established Member
wow you guys are paying that much? mannnn id go to amazon, jj, jdm and jsut get a mail order tune and check the a/f at a local dyno... you guys are getting robbed sky high

anyhting more then 300 would czuse me to laugh in their face, to make a few pulls and to make a few adjustments is nuts to charge 400+

When they spend 9am until 6pm tuning your truck to make sure it is perfect and there is nothing left on the table, yet still safe, it makes the tune well worth $400~ bucks. My air/fuel "curve" is a flat 11.8 across the board with a "Smoothing = 0" setting. That's more than I can say for 99.9% of tuners out there.

jrw

Established Member

I noticed your in Florida I highly recommend xxx motorsports in Pensacola I drive right on by 2 different well known tuners to get there brad is awesome he tuned my 03 term 2 months ago with a kenne bell mammoth And I could not be happier I just bought an 03 lightning and he is retuning it for me Wednesday. Oh yeah he charges $500

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
When they spend 9am until 6pm tuning your truck to make sure it is perfect and there is nothing left on the table, yet still safe, it makes the tune well worth $400~ bucks. My air/fuel "curve" is a flat 11.8 across the board with a "Smoothing = 0" setting. That's more than I can say for 99.9% of tuners out there.

Even with as radical of a setup as I have with a full built motor, stage 3 heads/cams, twin screw kb, full weldon fuel system, 80 lb injectors, and the changeup of running a 02 HD computer in my 00 HD, JLP has always gotten my truck dialed in within 2-3 hours on the dyno, and usually for multiple setups, street, race, etc. If it takes 9 hours just to get a tune right, I'd find another tuner :rofl: Especially if its on a stock block, eaton, with a few bolt on's! If its a first time tuning a turbo setup or something more radical like that I could understand it, or if it was chasing gremlins down its another thing, but for just a tune, shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Majority of those prices listed above are just ridiculous

Last edited:

andy mack

Established Member
You guys are lucky to have so many tuners in the US you can count how many in the UK on 1 hand. Had mine done a few weeks ago Spchorsham.com after having a SBTB and shift kit fitted, got it up to 431bhp at the flywheel, but posted my readouts and general opinion was running way to lean above 3000rpm was all in the 12 and up to 12.6 afr (they mostly tune japanese and german engines and reckoned it was a safe tune) but did,nt want to take the chance so armed with set of NGK Tr6 got them to fit new plugs and do a retune now highest figure at 12 for 1mph, rest is all in the mid 11,s and now 430bhp so all in all alot safer tune. They use a Dyno Dynamics tuner and charge £90/hour.So ran at Santa Pod last weekend and got my best time ever
13.34 and 102mph.
Mostly stock 4# pulley, magnaflows, SBTB,LFP shift kit and MT drag radials, Traction bars and line lock fitted next week as we have the MOPARS at the end of the month, hoping to get into the 12,s
Apologies for the long post got carried away
andy

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Having been down that road and then eventually getting a tuning license of my own.. IMO I'd go back in time to the beginning and tell myself to buy a wideband, a handheld tuner, and the licenese / software.

You'll end up having a engine tune that's spot on and your tranny functions will be able to be changed to your liking. And.. all for about the same amount of money too.

Something else to keep in mind.. tuning on a dyno is only an approximation of what you actually see on the road / track. Why start off with a handy cap? Go straight to the reality I say. (I've done both and am far happier that I tune my own stuff now)

Rich

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread