How much do Bizzaks really help in the winter?

Brian Z.

Established Member
I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sports (all season) that I can swap on for winter, but I also have found some blizzaks in 19" for about $600. Wondering if the blizzaks would really be that much better for winter driving in Indianapolis? Never had a winter tire on one of my cars so I appreciate anyone's input.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
A decent snow/winter tires will be much better than a good all-season.

Never used them since I live in so-cal and never needed an all-season or snow/winter tire, but I hear blizzaks are the cat's meow.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
numbers to help with reference:

worst winter weather... so more than an inch of snow on the ground and packed in. some occasional ice.

Summer tire=0. not going to work.
Best all season tire= 3-4. will get you from point a to b, but with 400hp really stressful driving.
studible winter tires without studs=7 used as budget winter solution. now harsh weather is easily drivable.
Performance winter= 7-8 for driving enthusiast that wants performance driving in good weather, but need something on those bad days.
studded winter=9 old school best option, but now days the studless ice and snow are better in every winter situation except 31-33 deg freezing rain... they still rule that very specific situation.
Studless ice and snow=10 enthusiast beware, great traction but not the best handling dry. Will get your best traction period in worst weather. control on ice rink ice amazing.

Check out these two videos. The big tell is the stopping and cornering.

ICE: http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=26&tab=winter
SNOW: http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=23

I have done the ice test and it is really something. Once you do the test you will never go back. For Indy, I would do a performance winter.... if you are driving daily the performance category is a fun tire to drive in the good weather and good enough for the few really bad days in INDY.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Using the correct tires for the right season makes a huge difference!

Most people don't realize it, but it's not just about the tire tread pattern, the rubber compound make a huge difference as well.

Are the Blizzaks used? If so, check with the manufacturer about the characteristics of the tire. Some winter tires once worn to a certain degree, act like all-seasons. This is because they have different rubber compounds at different layers.

But overall, it is a lot safer to run the right tires for the right season.

Brian Z.

Established Member
Okay you guys convinced me. Found some barely used blizzaks with 11/32 of tread and bought all 4 of them to swap them out in November.

vortecd

Established Member
Snow tires make a huge difference. If you have to drive your Mustang year around get the tires mounted on another set of wheels so you can just swap them out. I have done that in the past and works great

helloWorld

Established Member
I watched a lot of YouTube videos for evidence on whether or not I should purchase snow tires, and these two stood out enough for me to actually purchase 4 Michelin X-Ice 3 tires from Zandura99 and the company he works for.

The first half of this video compares all seasons to winter tires.
[video=youtube;elP_34ltdWI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI[/video]

This video shows why only having winter tires on the rear of a RWD is worthless.
[video=youtube;rzB7hpWhqIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzB7hpWhqIA[/video]

Nuar

Established Member
My last muatang had to deal with 5 winters and I can tell you that my Blizzaks made an HUGE difference.
all season tires will feel like slicks in the snow after you drive on the blizzaks for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread