How much $$$ can I expect to get for a built 4.6 shortblock???

BOSSisback82

Established Member
As the title states I'm just wondering how much I can ask for an almost brand new (just broken in on the dyno) aluminum shortblock. It's a 98 cobra block bored .020 over with a kellog forged crank, manley forged flat top pistons with valve relief cuts, ceramic domes and teflon skirts, all bearings are federal mogul and teflon coated, brass freez plugs, arp bolts throughout, manley h beam forged rods. I'm looking at selling it soon and upgrading to a 5.2 liter big bore stroker shortblock so I'm trying to figure out what I could get for this.
Any and all input/opinions on this will be much appericiated. thanks guys

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Probably around $2,000 at most I bet, depending on miles.

You'd probably have the best luck trying to sell it on the corral or mordularfords.

Last edited:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Since you installed it....and started the engine. I think it depriciated atleast 25%, mainly because the buyer doesn't know exactly what went on at the dyno. It would have to be a really sweet deal to buy a used shortblock. I think like $2000-$2500.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It would have to be a really sweet deal to buy a used shortblock.

That's kind of my thoughts as well. There are too many good deals right now, even on brand new shortblocks.

Like for example, MMR is running sales currently. You can get a street mod 800 from them for $2900 with free shipping right now. Their street mod 600 is only $2500 with free shipping. And they're an almost part for part identical build of what the OP has, short of the block...

Last edited:

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I picked up a similar one for $700. So they are obviously hard to sell.. Get copies of all the receipts and show pictures of everything you possibly can.

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
Wow she must be a looker:lol: j/k

OP what is the compression and how much did it make on the dyno? Also how much did you pay for it honestly? People will always be weary of a used short block.......

^+1 i have flat top pistons on my motor and was wondering what your compression is at?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Who assembled it? Was it a well known shop? If not the price wold be much lower.

Flat tops will proide about a 10.8 to 1 compression ration with stock heads. However, these pistons have vavlve reliefs so the compression is probably very close to 10 to 1.

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
i have stock heads but its a stroker motor. i really want to boost but i dont know if it will be a good idea with the compression ratio.

BOSSisback82

Established Member
Who assembled it? Was it a well known shop? If not the price wold be much lower.

Flat tops will proide about a 10.8 to 1 compression ration with stock heads. However, these pistons have vavlve reliefs so the compression is probably very close to 10 to 1.

Yes it was assembled by Victory Engines which has been in business for 30+ years and is very very well known. That's true the pistons do have valve reliefs so the compression is around 10.1:1 which is fine for what I was intending to do which is about 13 to 14 psi with a centrifugal blower no more. with the higher compression it's easier to make power with less boost. It's not ideal for really high boost applications and turbos but for a street car you don't need to build a low compression short block. it hurts your gas mileage too. anyways I want to go big bore to unshroud the valves and for the cubic inches.....as far as the pistons they costed me about 900 with the custom valve notches, ceramic coating and teflon coating...and yes I have receipts for everything.

Last edited:

BOSSisback82

Established Member
i have stock heads but its a stroker motor. i really want to boost but i dont know if it will be a good idea with the compression ratio.

yikes a stroker with flat tops will be around 11.4:1 with a 52cc combustion chamber...a little high for forced induction but it's all in the tune it can be done

Users who are viewing this thread