How many quarts needed for Oil Change?

MustangRacer310

Established Member
Hi,

How many quart of Oil the 03 Cobra is supposed to Take. I put 6 and it looked as if it needed more so I added another one. What is the correct amount of quart that you're suppose to put in after an Oil Change + Filter Change?

I switched over to Mobile-1 Synthetic 5W-30 after 3000 miles.

Thank You

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I believe it is 5 plus 1 for a total of 6 quarts. Your owners manual will tell you. And it is not good to overfill it. I certainly wouldn't add an additional quart over what is recommended.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I believe most of us use 6.5 quarts. 7.0 should not be a problem.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the note about 6.5 vs. 6. So 7 quarts definitely isn't a problem.

warren

Established Member
no more than 6. the oil levelshould be at the middle of minimum and max level. read youre manual

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
03 Cobra oil change...6 quarts with a filter.

MustangRacer310

Established Member
I put 7 Quarts!!!!

Well, I put 7 Quarts. When I check the oil, it's almost 1/4 of an inch above the MAX level.

Should I get another Oil Change with 6.5 Quarts or what should I do?

Thank You

BOOOOST

Established Member
6 quarts, no more, no less, EVER!

I can't believe some of you would tell people to overfill their motors. That's BAD BAD BAD!!! Not only that but it will cause more internal loading which will actually give you less overall power (ever tried running through 1 foot of water at the beach, and then running through 3 feet?).

Never ever trust the dipstick when it comes to filling it up. ONLY trust the dipstick for differences between where it is at 6 quarts and where it is when you check it periodically after the change. All the dipstick should be is for comparison sake after the change, not for judging if you need more oil or not during the oil change.

Anyhoo, how hard is it to look in the manual? It specifically states 6 quarts. The Cobra motor has been this way since 1996!

Last edited:

Poison_S

Established Member
I know I ended up putting an additional 1/2 quart (or slightly more) over what was recommended in the owners manual in order for it to register close to the full mark on the dip stick.

Initially, I put the recommended amount in the engine, let it sit for a few minutes and measured. It was low, so I added another 1/3 quart and re-measured after a few more minutes. It was still slightly low, so I put another *splash* in the engine. This time it measured full.
I checked it the next day and found it to be near the top line of the dip stick, only slightly lower - perhaps after the oil circulated and filled the oil filter.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
With all the oil that stays up in the heads another 1/2 qt won't hurt.
Racers at open track events have had oil starvation problems with 6 qt's.
Many Drag racers with modified modulars use 7qt's with stock oil pans for the same reasons.
In 96 when modulars first came out guys were running 5qt's at the track useing the old pushrod mentaliy that less was better.
Now i know of nobody that would run a modular with less oil.

jim v.

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
I have heard that overfilling your engine oil capacity,
could result in hurting your cylinder heads.
It says 6 quarts, and my dipstick showed in between
the high and low marks.Thats it!

warren

Established Member
dude whatever you do dont add anything over 6 quarts, its common sense, youre manual even says 6 quarts. you can really do some serios internal damage to that sweet engine. if i were you id drain a quart out. anyone that tells you adding an extra quart wont hurt the engine is not giveing you the right advice.
and if something happens due to you overfilliing, bye bye warrentie!!!

Users who are viewing this thread