How Many Pounds?????

rubber duck

Established Member
It's no secret that certain shops (I won't start finger pointing) skew dyno numbers for business purposes. Like I said the equalizer is the track. I'm not saying that anyone is lying about their numbers, but just because a dyno spits out a number doesn't mean that his 12 psi car is going to beat my 16 psi car with the same heads, cams, intake.

Last edited:

cobra_strike

Banned
this is one of my older dyno sheets before the aftercooler setup and while on pump gas
SCAN0013.jpg

rubber duck

Established Member
i thought it was more like 4-6%, but yea it does read higher than SAE
You're right it does vary. The biggest impact on STD numbers is the current atmospheric conditions. In fact, if you were to get your car dyno'd in high elevation, your STD numbers would most likely be lower than your SAE numbers, but in this case the car in question is dyno'd in Florida, where the STD numbers are more than likely higher than the SAE numbers.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
oh gotcha, so basically one takes into the atmospheric conditions and the other one doesn't.. It makes sense now.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
uh, both are correction factors. uncorrected would say uncorrected.

Bottom line, either you are: A) unaware of other mods to this car, B) running a hell of a lot more than 12 psi, C) using a completely inaccurate dyno.

Pretty much, you are telling me that you are going from a motor that would make 255rwhp (8.5 cr 98 motor with stock cams, minor headwork), to 612rwhp on 12psi.

That would mean that you are picking up 30rwhp for every lb of boost. That is simply not going to happen with this setup.

cobra_strike

Banned
well it was dynoed in ohio, and it was built and tuned aftermarket by 2 certified ford svt techs with 10+ years of experience working for ford and i personality know them , i dont understand why you think its so impossible

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
quadcammer boost is a measure of restriction. So if you have a 3.0 pulley on your car and cobra strike has a 3.0 pulley on his car. Let's say your running 15psi on that pulley. You have stock heads and cams, and manifolds and exhaust. Your car makes X amount of HP. Now his car has some work down to the heads, LT headers, and full exhaust, and he has a built motor. The car has less restriction because of the head work and the exhaust. He makes 12psi. :thumbsup: But hell what do I know. And did anyone give Scotty98 any lip on his setup, no. I don't understand why it's not possible. I do realize the numbers are SAE they are STD. So basically Cobra_stike go and get your car dynoed again with the aftercooler and power pipe and show up the dyno sheet.

Last edited:

cobra_strike

Banned
well all in all lmao i have a super sickk cobra, that is a fu[king total mopping machine w/ numbers over 550+, and i have been and am 100% completly happy with my creation, so if you have any unfriendly disputes we can take it up at the track, but this time my bottle warmer will be working overtime ;], and thanks for your consideration 98saleen dude, and when i do my next dyno ill be more than happy to share

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
n/p you do have a bad ass car and yes take it to the track, even though I don't drag race. Get some videos up if you can bro.

Quadcammer

Established Member
quadcammer boost is a measure of restriction. So if you have a 3.0 pulley on your car and cobra strike has a 3.0 pulley on his car. Let's say your running 15psi on that pulley. You have stock heads and cams, and manifolds and exhaust. Your car makes X amount of HP. Now his car has some work down to the heads, LT headers, and full exhaust, and he has a built motor. The car has less restriction because of the head work and the exhaust. He makes 12psi. Hell a powerpipe you usually lose 2-3psi because it's less restrictive. :thumbsup: But hell what do I know. And did anyone give Scotty98 any lip on his setup, no. I don't understand why it's not possible. I do realize the numbers are SAE they are STD. So basically Cobra_stike go and get your car dynoed again with the aftercooler and power pipe and show up the dyno sheet.

listen ace, I don't need your little "lesson" on boost. I've been running 15+ psi for like 4 years.

You lose 2-3 psi with a powerpipe? uh, maybe you should go back to a different section, because this ain't the right section for you. You gain boost with a power because it reduces restriction BEFORE the blower.

As for your little "boost is a measure of restriction" lesson, very good. However, homeboy here has some exhaust and a "mild port/valve job". In other words, hes got dick for air flow mods. Hence forth, his "12 psi" is about the same as a stock motored "12 psi".

30rwhp per lb of boost is just not gonna happen on stock heads/cams and a t trim. It just doesn't happen. Especially on the low end of the compressor efficiency map. My Novi 2k in the absolutely MEAT of its efficiency map adds approximately 19rwhp/lb, which is about average for a centri blower.

Look at the average 8psi intercooled setup on a stock car.

265rwhp to about 410rwhp. Thats about 18rwhp/lb. once again, about right.

using that metric, 12psi on a car that might make 265rwhp in its NA form is about 500rwhp give or take. I'll give you a 5% power window, so 525rwhp.

henceforth, 525rwhp is about the max I'll give you.

your 612rwhp figure is about 85rwhp too high.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ damn bro you just took that all wrong. You don't need to get all defensive. I wasn't giving you a "lesson", I didn't know if you knew or not. damn no need to get all pissed off. "homeboy, ace" common man cheer up :beer: I'm not here to fight and not here to give people lessons, just didn't know if you knew. Also how do you explain Scottys98 numbers?? Sorry you took it wrong bro..

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
if you look at Scotty's thread, I questioned his numbers too.

unless vortech is all of a sudden packing monster efficiency into its blowers, its simply not reasonable.

rubber duck

Established Member
well all in all lmao i have a super sickk cobra, that is a fu[king total mopping machine w/ numbers over 550+, and i have been and am 100% completly happy with my creation, so if you have any unfriendly disputes we can take it up at the track, but this time my bottle warmer will be working overtime ;], and thanks for your consideration 98saleen dude, and when i do my next dyno ill be more than happy to share
Nobody is saying you're lying, I believe that you went to the dyno and it spit out 612 rwhp. Both of us are running VERY similar setups, even down to a 8.5 cr, only instead of a t-trim I'm running an intercooled D1 at 16 psi, according to your dyno sheet you have about 80 rwhp on me, I'm saying that dyno is off, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread