How many over 500 Bhp

davidmax

Established Member
How many modded stangs with over 500 ponnies and does anyone use a fuel return system,Dave Smilovic

hj16

Established Member
Right here Dave

458rwhp/492rwtq... I use a 11% loss so thats.... 514Bhp/552Bhp

Last edited:

hj16

Established Member
Stock fuel system as of now. Im stepping up to PHP Fuel Rails, 55lb Injectors, and Twin Focus Pumps VERY soon

JWC

Established Member
I should be over 500 haven't had the car on the dyno yet. I have a KB, 15 lb pulley, KB BAP, Bassani x w/cats, Flow cat back, 12 KN, KB chip. Stock fuel system; with BAP.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Over 500 bhp pretty much everybody who has a cai and exhaust is close to 500 bhp depending on what calculation you use for drivetrain loss. The only way to know for sure is to actually pull your motor and dyno at the flywheel.

Now if you meant 500 rwhp that is a different story. I have 600 rwhp and still use the returnless with stock injectors and focus pumps.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Dyno at 466rwhp and 498rwtq 518bhp and 553bhp 11% loss drive train. Stock fuel system

Steeda1

Established Member
Originally posted by 03blackTermn8r
Just curious Davidmax, how much RWHP do you Have, if you don't mind me asking?

I've been wanting to know that for a while!

Tell us. Buy the way, how would you convert to a return style fuel system?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Way over 500bhp here(540rwhp on superflow), stock injectors and fuel pumps(KB BAP). I personally dont see a return style system as needed for 95% of us.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
David,
Since you always recommend return fuel setup over 500hp mark, I decided to take it upon myself to call your shop to get a quote on everything needed that you would recommend for say approx 600rwhp.

That was Friday when I left a message and haven't heard back yet.

It does surprise me to hear that there are ppl running >600rwhp with stock injectors though!

Rog

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
495rwhp (SAE) and 487rwtq (SAE) which is approximately 585 bhp. I'm using the stock fuel system with a 92mm MAF.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Our fuel system is adequate for 500-540rwhp. The MAF, though, really should be upgrade at this level. I've talked to a number of shops about this and have come to the conclusion that too many shops are stating an upgrade is required too early. Ever price a full blown revised return type fuel system with new injectors and Focus pumps? Hmmm. Get second opinions before you buy into the notion that a major upgrade is required/recommended at the 500+rwhp level.

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
fuel system

David,

I have always enjoyed your post, It also looks like you have a great company as well, I respect that.

I tend to lurk these web sites much more than I post but you ask a very interesting question.

I considered going to an older style return system but even with a donor vehicle it was going to be very expensive. The ECCV is limited in the fuel map/trim/lookup tables and getting it to run a different type of system well would be difficult. You could just throw an adjustable regulator on and keep 60 - 80 psi in the rails but then driveability would suffer. The "coolness" of our cars is how driver friendly they are.

I have well over 500/500 with no2 and propane. A BAP keeps me at 11.5 AF up to the 480hp range and the propane supplies the needed enrichment when it goes over that with spray. I am only in the upper end of the HP range 1% of the time so I don't see the need to do anything more than a BAP.

With a BAP and no propane I have noticed that I get lean after an exceptionally long WOT run because the stock pumps cant seem to keep up. So maybe if you were heading to the saltflats you might need more.

My Viper buddies have used propane for awhile and have been very helpful getting my system worked out. The propane system along with the No2 is infinantly progressive and completly computer controlled, I dont even have an arming switch.

What is killing me is traction, short of reworking the complete suspension we are done at about 480HP. If we hook up then something breaks (imput shaft, half shaft, diff,ect) and if we can't hook up then why have the extra HP that can't really be used? (a good delema but still a delima)

I will go back to lurking now.........

Thanks,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread