How many of you have been through a divorce?

Have you gone through a divorce

• Yes, money well spent.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • No, can't afford it yet/don't want to.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I rent my women by the hour so I don't have to ask these questions

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Just curious. My wife & I have been together for seven years, married for almost three and we're probably headed there. She's almost done with her masters and has accepted a position that will double her previous annual income. I have a feeling that once she's making enough to go it on her own then it'll be time to toss me out. Not sure that it'll be a bad thing though because neither of us are happy so this isn't a pity party thread. Sure as hell won't miss the meddling mother in law or the fights about joining her church. Just curious who's been through a divorce and how it worked out for you.

Last edited:

Tuyo

Whitexican Extraordinaire
Established Member
Almost was there...didn't want it...didn't happen...thank God. 2 much $, plus I can't see my kids only half of the week or every other weekend. It would kill me

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I was divorced on December 21st, I pay out the ass in child support (totally fine with that) but i also still have to pay her car payment, insurance, and phone bill as well as all the debt she ran up for me,

If you have anykind of retirement or investments 401k she is going to get half, of EVERYTHING,

if you can work it out do. you both have to try. why get married if your gonna quit. Try consoling ect ect. i mean come on you married her for a reason right? at least make it work long enough she gets a huge ass retirement built up then divorce her! :)

Not trying to preach just telling you how i see it,

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Almost was there...didn't want it...didn't happen...thank God. 2 much $, plus I can't see my kids only half of the week or every other weekend. It would kill me

Its hell.. trust me

glad you made it work!!! :beer:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
If you have anykind of retirement or investments 401k she is going to get half, of EVERYTHING,

Not always, there are rare cases where the guy might even get alimony - especially if your lawyer can prove you supported her during the time she spent to get her degree.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
If you don't love her and you don't have kids, don't even think twice. If you do either of those then think really hard, if you do both then don't do it.

If it wasn't for my son, then I would've gone almost 5 years without talking to my ex and been happy to do it. I didn't realize how bad I had it until I no longer had to deal with her crap.

Also, I would start socking cash (I mean real cash) away some place it can't be tracked.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Been there,done that.It cost me a fortune,and it was a major PITA at first with the kids and all the other bull crap.In the long run it was worth it to me,and my kids understood it as they got older.This was about 18 years ago,and both of my kids are now married.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Not always, there are rare cases where the guy might even get alimony - especially if your lawyer can prove you supported her during the time she spent to get her degree.

Good point, we dont have alimony in wyoming tho.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Good point, we dont have alimony in wyoming tho.

had a buddy in the Navy who put his wife through pharmacy school, she made it then tried to leave him.....til she found out she'd have to pay him alimony lol
win for the guys! :beer:

greyrob

The Grey Stang
Established Member
main thing is to research your state law
and dont YOU move out, (lawyers call that abandonment) and will use it against you,
start moving money to an undisclosed account (or keep as cash)
better yet move what you can (slowly) into your mothers name - if you can ==
no i never have been divorce but have done some research

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I got divorced after 6 years. Fortunately, there were no kids, no alimony and it was uncontested. Just filled out the paperwork and waited the 60 days. Didn't need a lawyer so total cost was ~$350 or so. We were able to work out all the terms.

straightliner1

Established Member
I got divorced after 6 years. Fortunately, there were no kids, no alimony and it was uncontested. Just filled out the paperwork and waited the 60 days. Didn't need a lawyer so total cost was ~$350 or so. We were able to work out all the terms.

Me too ^ . Uncontested, although I wanted it, not she. She moved 2 states away to live with her Sister. I too was like the OP with the Mother in Law, but now I wish I could go back in time...

lifter213

Established Member
Damn y'all got me scared and paranoid. We're not having problems but maybe I should hide some cash just in case haha

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Damn y'all got me scared and paranoid. We're not having problems but maybe I should hide some cash just in case haha

If she ever finds it, you can always tell her that it's the money you put away to use on gifts and surprises.

Divorces are not easy, but for people that are unhappy, they are worth it.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
Cliffs:
Got married at 20, had 3 kids (twins and another 18 months apart) Bought a house. Found out she was open for business with anyone who bought beer (including my "friends"). Kicked her out, kept kids, house, all my cars, she got a minivan and her freedom and oh yeah i got Child support for 18 years haha. Paid $500 total for a divorce i wrote up with a few extras from the lawyer. Was an emotionally horrible time but after the divorce a weight was lifted from my shoulders as i didn't have to worry about her anymore. Felt great!! Was single for 12 years and remarried to the best woman on the earth (if your lurking honey haha) Good luck whatever route you choose

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Cliffs:
Got married at 20, had 3 kids (twins and another 18 months apart) Bought a house. Found out she was open for business with anyone who bought beer (including my "friends"). Kicked her out, kept kids, house, all my cars, she got a minivan and her freedom and oh yeah i got Child support for 18 years haha. Paid $500 total for a divorce i wrote up with a few extras from the lawyer. Was an emotionally horrible time but after the divorce a weight was lifted from my shoulders as i didn't have to worry about her anymore. Felt great!! Was single for 12 years and remarried to the best woman on the earth (if your lurking honey haha) Good luck whatever route you choose

very cool for you man. good job.

glad that you found someone and did what was right by the kids! :beer:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member

That's what I'm going through now. Been around 45 days so I still have a couple weeks until it's final.

The ex wanted the cats and dog and I told her if she wanted them then I was going to hire a lawyer and fight for them. lol
I have them now. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread