How many miles before shocks and struts need replacing?

1996SVT

Established Member
What's the average life span of the Bilsteins on our Terminators? 78k on the clock. Is it time? And yes, it's a rough ride.

Jefe

Established Member
Stock ride height? Ive heard the Lakewood 70/30s are better than the stock Bilsteins. Makes the front end ride like a Cadillac

cbr repsol

Established Member
i honestly say about 65-70k max i have 75k on mine and i can tell they are gone. im gonna get some new ones in 2 months.:rockon:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Get them rebuilt for fraction of the price of replacement and get them re-valved specifically to your current spring rate.

Bilsteins are a top shelf damper, throwing them away would be a tragic waste.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Get them rebuilt for fraction of the price of replacement and get them re-valved specifically to your current spring rate.

Bilsteins are a top shelf damper, throwing them away would be a tragic waste.

my plan was to get them rebuilt, i should of said that.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Jimmy who are you referring to have them sent into? Blistein themselves? You speak of having them rebuilt but what specs are recommended for our cars? (I know its highly depending on useage) I'm assuming most that would be interested are DD or weekend street cars with occasional passes and "street fun" Im asking because I've never heard of this and was thinking about going with some adjustables soon... Love to see other options...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy who are you referring to have them sent into? Blistein themselves? You speak of having them rebuilt but what specs are recommended for our cars? (I know its highly depending on useage) I'm assuming most that would be interested are DD or weekend street cars with occasional passes and "street fun" Im asking because I've never heard of this and was thinking about going with some adjustables soon... Love to see other options...

Yes Bilstein USA.

Service-> Service

These are not a joe average grocery getter damper. These are a sweet gift from the SVT team and Ford.:rockon:

DocB

Established Member
Can the rear shocks also be rebuilt/revalved?

Just started a thread on this question.

trendkilllx

Established Member
Replaced my struts at 72k miles, picked up a set of the HD bilsteins and there was a big difference. Plan to get the originals revalved when I figure out what specs to give to bilstein. THey will be going on a 91 notchback with mm kmember, a arms with coil over kit. Engine is iron block with alum heads but still not sure on final weight, also still need to get front springs.

97Dustang

Established Member
does anyone have pics of the stock shocks and struts. I bought my cobra and the previous owner had already done lots of things to the suspension. It has bilstein shocks and struts but I'm not sure if they are the stock ones or aftermarket. but i believe it is time for them to be replaced. car just turned over 76k and its riding really rough, every little bump damn near rattles the dash out lol

JMD0346

Established Member
Ive been wondering about this too. Im at 75K. Most of which was on H&R Race springs, My ride is getting a little bouncy and hits kinda hard on the bumps. Like someone else said. It gives the dash a workout on sharp bumps.

Thanks to Jimmy for the rebuild info. I had no idea about that. Thats definitely the route Ill take when the time comes.

Question for ya Jimmy or anybody that may know. With my Race springs should I stick with stock valve settings or is there a better setup that will work better with my springs?

Users who are viewing this thread